Speculation: Re: J. Spezza and M. Hanzal

JesusNPucks

Dec 22, 2009
Amman, Jordan
So the write-ups about the center logjam have been out there. Was just curious: Do you think there's any chance that GMJN2.0 is posturing the situation such that Spezza would request a trade? I can't imagine he'd been re-signed after his contract is up in a couple of years. And Hanzal's contract is for three. Spezza could definitely bring in a nice haul. Do you think there were any extra motives other than Nill's "you can never have too many centers" comments?

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
No. Spezza won't get that much in a trade and we need that cap space for Seguin and also our various in house raises.

JesusNPucks

Dec 22, 2009
Amman, Jordan
No. Spezza won't get that much in a trade and we need that cap space for Seguin and also our various in house raises.

I guess when I said "haul" for Spezza, I was thinking picks/prospects. And, surely he'd fetch something valuable. I just can't imagine he'll be all that happy playing RW to Hanzal for the next two years. He's a center and even seemed frustrated under Ruff when he wasn't playing there.

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
I guess when I said "haul" for Spezza, I was thinking picks/prospects. And, surely he'd fetch something valuable. I just can't imagine he'll be all that happy playing RW to Hanzal for the next two years. He's a center and even seemed frustrated under Ruff when he wasn't playing there.

Remember what we paid for him? He gets paid more now and is 3 years older. If he's playing at wing and his numbers go down more--IIRC I read he was not in the top 5 of pp TOI this year--then his value won't be awesome.

The idea of turning value now into value ~4 years down the road isn't terrible but these won't even be name brand magic beans we get for Spezza.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Heika spoke with Hitch, and the plan is to not play Spezza and Hanzal together. Actually, they'll probably play Faksa (wing) and Hanzal (center) together. Spezza will either play LW or center, and Hitch said he'll probably play a lot of center.

He also spoke about faceoffs and pairing right and left shot guys on the same line. Seguin, Spezza, and Crackenll are the only right shot faceoff guys. You know that means Benn and Seguin playing together. He's already talked about Faksa with Hanzel. Spezza's left shot counterpart is interesting then. Janmark was terrible at faceoffs, below 40%. The rules are different in Europe and that's not surprising. Shore took quite a few faceoffs last year. He wasn't bad, but it was about 47%.

Based on Hitch's comments about Spezza's position and wanting to play L/R faceoff men together when possible, I think it's hard to not assume they might have Shore playing with Spezza right now. Shore can also play center assuming Spezza slid over to LW occasionally. That would give you four 50%+ guys in the Top 9 and two young guys (Faksa and Shore) who could improve by working with Stu Barnes and a guy like Hanzal.

Based on faceoff ability alone, the penciled in lineup might look like:

Benn-Seguin-?
?-Spezza-Shore
Faksa-Hanzal-?
?-Cracknell-?

It'll be interesting to see how the rest of the wingers flesh out. I have a hard time seeing Roussel getting pushed out of the Top 9, and he's played well with Faksa. I've only see Faksa play center from what I remember, but some European players do prefer the off wing. Obviously Radulov is probably a lock with Seguin.

I think that probably leaves Janmark and Ritchie fighting for a spot with Spezza and Shore. It's probably a three way race though, I just assume based on Hitch's comment about faceoffs, Shore might have a leg up.

Link: https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/dallas-stars/stars/2017/09/01/stars-coach-ken-hitchcock-talks-new-coaching-staff-power-play-eight-defensemen

Magic Mittens

Nov 2, 2006
Calgary
Hanzal and Faksa would be fun to watch and hard to play against. I like Faksa at C though

I like the part where Hitch said he wants to find the top 6 guys on D, and keep them. No more rotating like Ruff did

Also if you add up Heikas projected totals for Bishop and Lehts we will end up with 114 points. Safe to say hes expecting a big season from Dallas lol

JesusNPucks

Dec 22, 2009
Amman, Jordan
So, this isn' going very well so far. Should they try to trade Spezza, or wait and see if things turn around? Any ideas on a reasonable trade scenario? What type of return would you target? Upgrade at D?

Ub the Bub

Feb 9, 2010
Sure, but why would they take on a slumping 34 year old with a 7.5 caphit until 2019? There has to be better, cheaper and/or younger options out there.

Duffeldof

Jun 28, 2014
Spezzas last years are burden for us and we knew it when signing him.

34yo 7,5mil, 10 team no trade clause. People usually over estimate their favorite teams players values. So turn this around. What would you be willing to pay for Spezza right now if we would be acquiring him? Probably nothing or you would want atleast salary retain.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
His best value will be at the trade deadline, and that is about the only scenario I see where he gets traded. I doubt he likes it and Nil usually tries to work with treat them fairly, so return might not be great. Probably picks and salary retention involved.

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
So, this isn' going very well so far. Should they try to trade Spezza, or wait and see if things turn around? Any ideas on a reasonable trade scenario? What type of return would you target? Upgrade at D?

With the amount he is paid and his production right now he would be near impossible to move.

Also im still on the boat that if he got skilled wingers (cough cough Janmark) and not the grinder dump and chase wingers he has now he would instantly look about 20 times better. Hitch is misusing him big time and its put him in a spot where he wouldnt return much at this point.

For that reason we hang on to him and keep him for a little depth scoring and PP2 zone entries.

MBTendy

May 6, 2009
Sure, but why would they take on a slumping 34 year old with a 7.5 caphit until 2019? There has to be better, cheaper and/or younger options out there.

MB's job is on the line, who knows. He can pull off a desperate trade to try and save his season and job. Plus Habs seem to always make trades for bottom 6 guys, has been's.

And Spez is still talented, but yes I agree. It's unlikely

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
There's a bunch of teams who probably need an offensive center: MTL, CBJ, NYR, CAR, VGK, maybe NJ. Figure the Stars have to retain $ to get rid of Spezza (or take back a bad contract).

Has he played center at all this year? Or solely wing?

Arkham32

Nov 9, 2012
There's a bunch of teams who probably need an offensive center: MTL, CBJ, NYR, CAR, VGK, maybe NJ. Figure the Stars have to retain $ to get rid of Spezza (or take back a bad contract).

Has he played center at all this year? Or solely wing?
He's played some RW here and there but for the most part he's been playing center. The problem with trading Spezza is we don't have anybody to replace him as the 2c. Hanzal has been pretty terrible offensively this year and i'd still take spezza over hanzal at the 2c spot.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
I'm not convinced Spezza can still productively play at C.

Man do we have a bunch of spare part wingers. Christ.

Idk what the plan with is for Benn-Seguin

Janmark - Benn - Spezza
Shore - Seguin - Radulov
Elie - Hanzal - Dickinson
Roussel - Faksa - Ritchie
Pitlick
Dickinson

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB
Hey guys, Bruins fan here coming in peace. Just wondering would you consider trading Spezza to the Bruins for David Backes once he is back in about 6 weeks? Backes has one extra year, but also makes $1.5M less. Maybe a change of scenery does these guys some good. Backes can play both C and RW.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad