RDS Player drop two points

Status
Not open for further replies.

Munchausen

ColoradoHockeyFan said:
I suppose, though the exact paragraph from the translated version is:

The vice-president of the national League, Bill Daly, indicated that the AJLNH proposed a hybrid form of the principle. Thus incomplete according to him.

So the "thus incomplete" follows directly from the fact that a "hybrid form of the principle" was proposed. That's the part I'm wondering about... exactly what Daly meant when he termed it incomplete due to the fact that it was a hybrid. Again, the translation could be getting in the way here. Anyone here extremely fluent in both French and English... maybe able to provide us a better read on the original French version and capture some of the nuances of the language that we might be losing?

I'm fluent in both languages and can tell you the translation of that particular sentence in bold is accurate, only the writer isn't (surprise, surprise, this is what I've been debating about in this thread).

The way it is presently formulated implies that because it is a hybrid form of linkage, it is incomplete, which doesn't make any sense. An hybrid form of linkage could be complete and functional. So do they mean Daly thinks it lacks elements for it to work? Or that it is still in the work and the PA didn't yet reveal its full implications?

An other poorly formulated article is all this is. You never know what they truly mean because they don't know how to write a god damn clear sentence. This is my beef with those incompetent RDS journalists.

x-bob

Jul 9, 2004
Montreal
Munchausen said:
I'm fluent in both languages and can tell you the translation is accurate, only the writer isn't (surprise, surprise, this is what I've been debating about in this thread).

The way it is presently formulated implies that because it is a hybrid form of linkage, it is incomplete, which doesn't make any sense. An hybrid form of linkage could be complete and functional. So do they mean Daly thinks it lacks elements for it to work? Or that it is still in the work and the PA didn't yet reveal its full implications?

An other poorly formulated article is all this is. You never know what they truly mean because they don't know how to write a god damn clear sentence. This is my beef with those incompetent RDS journalists.

Maybe they don't have enough information and that's all Daly said :dunno:

Munchausen

x-bob said:
Maybe they don't have enough information and that's all Daly said :dunno:

Then they should have quoted Daly's exact words, because as it stands, it is confusing.

ColoradoHockeyFan

Feb 17, 2005
Denver area
Munchausen said:
The way it is presently formulated implies that because it is a hybrid form of linkage, it is incomplete, which doesn't make any sense. An hybrid form of linkage could be complete and functional.
Exactly. This is what is confusing to me about the article. The writer seems to imply a relationship between hybrid form of linkage and lack of completeness, as if that relationship would be obvious to the reader, even though it's clearly not obvious, and in fact, even a bit nonsensical. The writer also implies that this relationship is being expressed by Daly. I wish they had just quoted Daly directly so we could understand what he really said.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad