RD Timothy Liljegren - Timra IK, Allsvenskan (2017, 17th, TOR)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
RD Timothy Liljegren - Rögle BK, SHL (2017, 17th, TOR)

Thought there was a thread about this kid already but apparently not.

A top prospect for the 2017 NHL draft, Timothy is a real smooth-skating right-handed defenseman with a heck of a wrister. Currently playing for Team Sweden at the World Hockey Under-17 Challenge where he's leading the team in scoring with 2 goals in 2 games, both of them beauties.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=224910

His stunning coast-to-coast goal against Russia is linked in the tweet below.

Last edited:

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
In two years ;)

That's right ;) The draft after the upcoming one is what I meant to say.

Everything about Liljegrens offensive game is really high end. Wouldn't be surprised to see him get some games in the SHL this season, looked great when he got the chance during the preseason.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
Dual citizen?

Looks like it, one of his parents is probably American. Him playing for any other country than Sweden would be a stretch at this point though.

Named to the WU17 all-star team. Looked fantastic all tournament.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Looks like it, one of his parents is probably American. Him playing for any other country than Sweden would be a stretch at this point though.

Named to the WU17 all-star team. Looked fantastic all tournament.

His dad was born in America I believe... but grew up in Sweden.

JAS 39 Gripen

Jun 26, 2011
Stockholm
That's your opinion, I don't know how much you've seen of Karlsson in the NHL, but he just isn't that good defensively. Liljegren seems much better positionally and much more committed.

Please...Really? Are you being serious? Is this real life?

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Haha oh my :laugh: Yeah the 16-year old is better than a two time winning Norris trophy winner defensively.

At the same age... and I don't even see them playing the same style, plus if you follow the NHL closely you'd know Karlsson didn't win a Norris based on his defense.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
Looks like Liljegren will make his SHL debut soon. Rögle has a weak group of D so it wouldn't surprise me if he sticks.

He is one of the top scoring D in J20 Superelit and he leads the league in +/- as a 16 year old.

ulvvf

May 9, 2014
He is in the lineup today

Craig Button said this about him after WJC 17

"As for who’s stood out so far, Button is a big fan of Swedish defender Timothy Liljegren and believes the potential is there for him to be the top selection in the 2017 NHL draft.

“I mean he’s unbelievable. I don’t know what else to say. He just controls the game in every single regard. You watch a dynamic young defenceman like that that can play that well, I can pretty much say with assurance he’s going early in the draft in 2017 and he may very well end up going number one,” he said."

Last edited:

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
We've seen some extremely potent 17 yos in Hedman, OEL and Larsson lately, but I'm not sure if any of them were as good at 16.

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
That's crazy impressive for a 16 year old, he's not even a late birthday either jesus christ

ulvvf

May 9, 2014
We've seen some extremely potent 17 yos in Hedman, OEL and Larsson lately, but I'm not sure if any of them were as good at 16.

As from what I remember from Hedman in shl and then he was older then Liljegren as you say, he was very very raw when he played in shl. He had the size, speed etc. He had all the potential in the world but he wasnt even close to putting it all togeheter. Liljegren feels kind of more ready.

Few games so far in shl, but today I think he was Rögles best d-men, a real dynamic force and it is impressive that he can be that at shl level at 16 yrs old.

He will most likly play wjc next year (he could probably have done it well this year to), and I fear it will be the last as well, since if he go top 5, the chances of him playing in NHL the first year after his draft is pretty high.

JimboA

Dec 9, 2012
Sweden
Nothing special, but here is a sequence from today's game if someone would be interested to see what he looks like.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad