RD Timothy Liljegren - Rogle BK, SHL (2017, 17th, TOR) II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Where is this Button hates Liljegren talk coming from? He praised him the entire Wednesday game. Calling him a future top 3 defenseman. The only thing hes been saying is bad about him is that he feels Liljegren believes his skill to be greater than it is, which causes him to force plays / do things that he simply can't do at this point in time. Has to learn what he can't do. That isn't ******** on someone. I'd gladly take a strong two-way defenseman who can move the puck up the ice at 17th overall.

I agree. He gave a pretty fair assessment of Liljegren. Whether he's right or not, he was questioning the offensive upside while still seeing him as a really good future defenseman. It's pretty reasonable to question his offensive upside as there are definite question marks there despite the natural talents.

Strait2thecup

Sep 1, 2016
Because saying he has the talent/potential to be the best player from this draft isn't as insane as some people make it sound considering he was ranked a top 3 pick as recently as a few months ago?

i can't respond to ranked top 3 x many months before the draft posts anymore. It doesn't mean anything. He went 17th.

GlitchMarner

Typical malevolent, devious & vile Maple Leafs fan
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
So it sounds like rather than being a highly skilled offensive defenseman who may not have the all-around game needed to be an effective NHL defenseman, Liljegren may be a well-rounded, fairly skilled defenseman who may not put up big numbers in the NHL.

If that's the case, I'd say he's actually more appealing and likely to be a better fit than he would be if he was simply a one-dimensional offensive defenseman.

GlitchMarner

Typical malevolent, devious & vile Maple Leafs fan
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
Seriously, are we going to put a ton of stock in draft position?

Joe Sakic was drafted 15th overall. Luke Richardson was chosen seventh the same year.

I'm not saying Liljegren will turn out to be a steal, but the mere fact that he was chosen 17th overall doesn't mean he can't be a top ten player from his draft.

Strait2thecup

Sep 1, 2016
Seriously, are we going to put a ton of stock in draft position?

Joe Sakic was drafted 15th overall. Luke Richardson was chosen seventh the same year.

I'm not saying Liljegren will turn out to be a steal, but the mere fact that he was chosen 17th overall doesn't mean he can't be a top ten player from his draft.

Right draft position doesn't matter but the fact that he was "at one point expected to go top two" does. Draft rankings don't matter, but pre pre draft rankings do. Makes sense

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
Right draft position doesn't matter but the fact that he was "at one point expected to go top two" does. Draft rankings don't matter, but pre pre draft rankings do. Makes sense

and at the same time other stocks rise. Other teams have different needs as well.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Recent games showed very strong puck control and shot generation, not tonmention zone exits/entires. Looking to be an excellent possession player

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
both liljegren and brannstrom shoulr have gone top 5.

Liljegren probably dropped so far because brannstrom was so underrated too, but looked as good or better than liljegrrn playing against the same competition.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF

No, it simply shows the potential is there.

Draft position doesn't limit a player, and draft rankings don't raise the floor of a player

TeddyBare

Jul 28, 2016
Mississauga, Ontario
both liljegren and brannstrom shoulr have gone top 5.

Liljegren probably dropped so far because brannstrom was so underrated too, but looked as good or better than liljegrrn playing against the same competition.

:biglaugh:

Never Change Hfboards

Poehling and Mittlestadt also have had a good tournament, should they also have gone top 5

Mikeyg

Dec 26, 2011
Just my opinion on the player, you don't have to agree. I guess I could have said #2/3 dman to appease the leafs fans but I don't have high expectations for the guy. Every time I've watched him play I was left hoping for more. He's got great skating but tries to use it to beat defenders almost every time instead of using his forwards. His breakout passes are lackadaisical and get picked off left right and center. I'm not saying you guys didn't get a great player... he's a pretty damn good prospect with some nice tools. I can only base my opinion on watching the guy play and he's never impressed me.

It is simply so ridicules to say that a player can't be X good because my subjective expectations are set low. He has top pairing potential. You will be proven wrong about this player.

He will never be a catalyst offensively though, I think it's incredibly obvious he isn't some elite offensive talent. Erik Brannstrom, for example, is far more talented in the offensive zone, Liljegren can absolutely can be a middle pairing guy who plays on teams top PP or second PP.

LOL. Has not played 1 single pro game yet you think its a fact that he will not become X. Moronic statement. I'm sure you would have said the same about pre-draft karlsson as well. Development matters. To say that your comments are premature is an understatement; they are moronic.

Mikey, a #3 dman would be huge for us and is getting great value out of liljegren at #17. I don't see much out of line with what the poster you quoted had said. I think he's more likely a good 2nd pairing guy than a top pairing guy, but the potential is there to get to that level.

I don't really care what other fanbases think. I just hate when they short sell and misjudge our players. That said, he has top pair potential, not number 3 potential. There is not 1 shard of evidence to say that he cannot become a top pair guy. He has all the tools to do it.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005

Never Change Hfboards

Poehling and Mittlestadt also have had a good tournament, should they also have gone top 5

what brannstrom and liljegre have done in the shl at their age is more impressive than anything any of the forwards in this draft have done.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
It is simply so ridicules to say that a player can't be X good because my subjective expectations are set low. He has top pairing potential. You will be proven wrong about this player.

LOL. Has not played 1 single pro game yet you think its a fact that he will not become X. Moronic statement. I'm sure you would have said the same about pre-draft karlsson as well. Development matters. To say that your comments are premature is an understatement; they are moronic.

I don't really care what other fanbases think. I just hate when they short sell and misjudge our players. That said, he has top pair potential, not number 3 potential. There is not 1 shard of evidence to say that he cannot become a top pair guy. He has all the tools to do it.

what makes your opinion right and others wrong?

You said he has top pairing potential, and are assuming he reaches it, therefore probing that guy wrong. What if he doesn't reach it? You ignore that that TOO is a possibility.

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
his speed at carrying the puck up the ice is elite for a prospect...hes average and solid and great at other aspects, but thats one thing thats elite

TeddyBare

Jul 28, 2016
Mississauga, Ontario
what brannstrom and liljegre have done in the shl at their age is more impressive than anything any of the forwards in this draft have done.

Mittlestadt had the best PPG in the USHL despite missing a ton of time.

Pettersson had one of the best draft years ever for a U20 in the Allsvenskan

Cody Glass's production is elite while playing on the youngest team the WHL

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

Never Change Hfboards

In the case of Mittlestsadt at least one could make a decent case he should have been in the top 5.

There really wasn't a huge clear hierarchy of talent in the first round this draft.

I'd echo he thoughts that Brannstrom and Liljegren likely end up two of the better players of the draft class.

I'd say it's a pretty rare thing that beyond the first couple picks that the specific draft order of players taken ends up being accurate in terms of who ends up the best NHLer.

DopeyFish

Mitchy McDangles
Nov 17, 2009
Mittlestadt had the best PPG in the USHL despite missing a ton of time.

Pettersson had one of the best draft years ever for a U20 in the Allsvenskan

Cody Glass's production is elite while playing on the youngest team the WHL

Are you really trying to compare those 3 leagues with the SHL?

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Well, truth is, young, highly scoring players in CHL bust far more frequently than young, high scoring players in SHL.

TeddyBare

Jul 28, 2016
Mississauga, Ontario
Are you really trying to compare those 3 leagues with the SHL?

Liljegren said his season started to get on track during a Six-game stint with Timra in February. He had one assist but said he got more ice time than he had been getting elsewhere, which helped his confidence. Later that month he had three assists in four games for Sweden at the Five Nations Tournament in Sweden.

Clearly Allsvenskan helped him

Yes you can't compare leagues but to flat out say Lilejgrin's 19 games in the SHL were a better achievement than other 2017 draftee's numbers doesn't make any sense.

Mar 12, 2009
When does Sean Day become a #1 Dman since he was once going to be a generational Dman.

Why are you so obsessed with literally that one guys opinion? I don't agree with him, most people aren't saying what he is, yet you are so fixated on this one Leaf fan...let's not pretend you are uber objective about your own team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad