RD Timothy Liljegren - Rogle BK, SHL (2017, 17th, TOR) II

Status
Not open for further replies.

JawandaPuck

Lost Art of Dynasty
Apr 10, 2007
Vancouver BC
jawandapuck.blogspot.com
17. Toronto Maple Leafs - Timothy Liljegren, D, Rogle (SWE)

NHL Central Scouting final international ranking: 6
2016-17: 19 games, 1-4-5

Liljegren (5-foot-11, 188 pounds) missed one month with mononucleosis in November but remains a dynamic prospect. He has tremendous speed, balance and feel for the game, makes good decisions under pressure and can control the play at both blue lines. He expects to return to Sweden after the draft to further his development.

NHL.com analysis: Entered season as top defenseman in draft class, but injury and illness set him back. Maple Leafs needed puck mover and get one with top-end that some scouts said reminded them of Senators captain Erik Karlsson.
https://www.nhl.com/news/nhl-draft-picks-recap/c-290088112?tid=277764372

Jeypic

Sep 12, 2015
His upside is top player from the draft, #1 rhd. I would absolutely love it if he reached his ceiling. Even if he doesn't reach it.. can't see him not turning out to be at least a top 4 rhd for us.

Luddowich

May 1, 2013
Sweden
I have to say the leafs are starting to become my favorite team. Think this pick is the definition of a homerun and he couldn't be placed in a better situation where he doesn't have to be the cover boy while developing. Congratulations, this kid is a player. Think he'll rebound perfectly fine next season on a hopefully more competent Rögle team.

Also, I don't know where Karlsson showed up but he's not a Karlsson, don't think anyone predraft said he ever was. And that's nothing against Liljegren, just more Karlsson being so insanely good. Thought so before the year and think that he'll become an OEL esque player.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
His upside is top player from the draft, #1 rhd. I would absolutely love it if he reached his ceiling. Even if he doesn't reach it.. can't see him not turning out to be at least a top 4 rhd for us.

But the thing is.... he can very much not end up being a top 4D.

pezcore

Jan 13, 2012
St-Hubert, Qc
good pick by the Leafs. I think its a high risk/high reward pick.

As for those using the mono reason as to why, last time I remember a high caliber player falling from the top 3 due to mono was Grigorenko in 2012. it was a tight race between him and Yakupov throughout the first half of the season.

Yet players like Rielly and Galchenyuk missed almost the entire season due to serious injury and got drafted exactly around where they were ranked.

I dont think illness or injury is the main reason as to why other teams prefered Makar, Heiskanen, Valimaki and Foote (although I disagree with that pick..they should have went for Liljegren) but he certainly has the potential to be a top 2D in the league and if he does, it will be quite the steal for Leafs.

Looking foward to see Lil develop, and getting him shove down our throats in the next few years its ok, Habs nation will do the same with Ikonen I believe. So truce? :)

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
I have to say the leafs are starting to become my favorite team. Think this pick is the definition of a homerun and he couldn't be placed in a better situation where he doesn't have to be the cover boy while developing. Congratulations, this kid is a player. Think he'll rebound perfectly fine next season on a hopefully more competent Rögle team.

Also, I don't know where Karlsson showed up but he's not a Karlsson, don't think anyone predraft said he ever was. And that's nothing against Liljegren, just more Karlsson being so insanely good. Thought so before the year and think that he'll become an OEL esque player.

Are you comparing his offense/playmaking to OEL? It's early, but I just don't think his defense reaches the 2-way excellence of OEL.

canucks10

Jan 15, 2014
Over the Rainbow
Pretty ridiculous that leaf fans get blasted for hyping their prospect. We all do it.
I think many had Liljegren at the back half of the top 10 so 17 is good value. If he reaches potential it's a steal if he busts I think it was still the right pick at the time.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Pretty ridiculous that leaf fans get blasted for hyping their prospect. We all do it.
I think many had Liljegren at the back half of the top 10 so 17 is good value. If he reaches potential it's a steal if he busts I think it was still the right pick at the time.

I can see why people get upset.

The reality is that a large percentage of posters on here are Leafs fans so it's inevitable that it will happen.

Luddowich

May 1, 2013
Sweden
Are you comparing his offense/playmaking to OEL? It's early, but I just don't think his defense reaches the 2-way excellence of OEL.
I'm comparing his overall game to OEL. He's no defensive shutdown defenseman but his defense isn't as bad as people make it up to be. At least that's from my viewings off him. He has a lot of potential on the defensive side aswell.

People really think he's Jake Bean bad defensively.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
I can see why people get upset.

The reality is that a large percentage of posters on here are Leafs fans so it's inevitable that it will happen.

its not a surprise the thread will be about a leaf player when is tells you in the thread title its a leaf player. Very simply dont click on the thread and other fans can even ignore the entire thread if they like. I can absolutely understand in other threads leaf fans bringing up a leaf player, say in the brannstrom thread for instance. But complaining about threads purely based on a leaf players is a bit much

Cotton

May 13, 2013
I'm not sure why he wasn't picked sooner than 17, if you look into his season and listen to his interviews he had one problem after another (Mono + injury) and admitted he moved around too much to the point of not finding his game until the very end of the season. The "bounce back" factor is huge here, and if he does he's up there as one of, if not the best talent in the draft. You'd think a team before us would have taken that chance. Perhaps he didn't interview well also?

Shades of Tuukka Rask here, who was a projected top 10 pick that struggled with mono, ended up dropping to the 20s.

Palio

Dec 9, 2015
It really does feel like after years of suffering, everything is falling into place and going right for the Leafs. I remember all of the pining last off season for this particular player. I didn't think it was possible after infusing all of the young talent into the lineup. But a bout with mono and an expansion draft later and here we are. He may bust, but I look forward to following his progress and seeing if can fill the hole that all of us Leaf fans thought he could last offseason

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
I'm not sure why he wasn't picked sooner than 17, if you look into his season and listen to his interviews he had one problem after another (Mono + injury) and admitted he moved around too much to the point of not finding his game until the very end of the season. The "bounce back" factor is huge here, and if he does he's up there as one of, if not the best talent in the draft. You'd think a team before us would have taken that chance. Perhaps he didn't interview well also?

Shades of Tuukka Rask here, who was a projected top 10 pick that struggled with mono, ended up dropping to the 20s.

Or shades of Grigorenko who was viewed as a potential #1 pick until mono. Truth is if he didn't have other question marks he wouldn't have fallen as far (Rielly, Galchenyuk).

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
So.
The two NHL affiliated scouting (Central Scouting & Bob) had Liljegren at:
CS: 6th best European skater
Bob: 16th overall

Meaning his value at the draft based on actual NHL scouting, was more or less at 15-20. The Leafs didn't get a 'oh my God, how'd he get here?!' pick. They got a pick that fell since the start of the season and got him where he was projected to go by the end. It's being made out to be like Liljegren was selected in the second round or something.

I like the prospect, but, there are some major deficiencies in his game (see Kylington) and the reason he fell at the draft wasn't simply because he was hurt (see pick #2).

LondonKendrick

Jun 18, 2016
Or shades of Grigorenko who was viewed as a potential #1 pick until mono. Truth is if he didn't have other question marks he wouldn't have fallen as far (Rielly, Galchenyuk).

Ok, why did Nick Lidstrom, PK Subban and Duncan Keith all fall to the second round?

Oilyveins97*

Jun 11, 2017
Manitoba
Why do people think Liljegren fell only due to Mono? :laugh:

Come on guys, if you pay any attention to previous drafts this is never the case.

He wasn't very good last yr, which doesn't mean he can't be an NHL player. You have to realize that if you are buying into this "mono situation" as the only reason he fell, you are seriously lying to yourself

Neil Hamburger

Five Bagger!
Jun 15, 2010
Toronto
He's a great skater with good puck skills and a solid shot. This is natural talent you can't teach.

He needs to work on his positioning, decision making, and strength. I'm confident Babcock and co. will be able to mould his raw talent into a quality player.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.

Come on guys, if you pay any attention to previous drafts this is never the case.

He wasn't very good last yr, which doesn't mean he can't be an NHL player. You have to realize that if you are buying into this "mono situation" as the only reason he fell, you are seriously lying to yourself

He wasn't very good because he came back from mono too quickly.

I think he fell because of mono (this seriously hurts development - he might not recover from that lost time in prime development years) and because of the Cam Fowler affect...teams saw so much of him that his game became over analysed.

For me, it's fine that other fans come in here and feel the need to bring down Leaf fan expectations. I think it shows fear...no one lambasted Schenn because it was a boring pick with little upside. This pick has serious NHL impact potential if by some chance he develops into the player his talent says he can be.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS

I think it comes down to whether or not you think his struggles on the ice are related to him having mono and coming back from injury. Obviously that is what Toronto believes. I mean he isn't a sure thing and he has a lot of work to do in his own end regardless but a lot of what I heard was he really struggled handling the forecheck and working deep in his zone. I don't think it is a stretch to say him having mono would have a huge effect on that area of the game for a teenager in a high level pro league.

Gargyn

Oct 19, 2006
Kelowna, BC
I was a Bruins fan since 1983 when Pete Peeters rocked the uniform. Since Sweeney took over and drafted Senyshyn, Zboril and Debrusk over Connor, Barzal and Konecny, I've just been a hockey fan. Gotta say, Leafs management team is easily the best in the business and the team they are assembling is going to be a juggernaut. Liljegren is a beauty. I said it in a few threads prior to the draft...this kid is seriously going to make someone regret letting him slip. He should have been top 5. Great pick Leafs, can't believe how talented and exciting your team is becoming!

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
So.
The two NHL affiliated scouting (Central Scouting & Bob) had Liljegren at:
CS: 6th best European skater
Bob: 16th overall

If you are going to cherry pick two lists to form an argument then consider that Mackenzie also had players like Vilardi at #5, Andersson around the early teens, Vesalainen at #15 off the top of my head. How far did they drop/rise?

His list is more or less, based on the opinions of 10 scouts. Doesn't really say much about anything.

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
One thing about Liljegren, who I really like: Rogle are a mess, which is why I was hoping he'd go to the Marlies this year. If he stays in Sweden I hope he gets traded or loaned to a better team.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005

grigs droppee because he can't skate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad