RD Timothy Liljegren - Ex-Rogle BK, SHL (2017, 17th, TOR) III

Status
Not open for further replies.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
So stylistically who do you guys relate him to? Like a Montour light?
He was compared to OEL, a bunch coming up.Great skater, can be creative, good hands and is great at walking the line as a defender to open up shooting lanes. Who know's if he ever reaches that level.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron

That might be close description.. Montour didn't start playing "serious" hockey till he was 17, so you might be able to justify Montour as a late bloomer.
Three time Norris winner, Pierre Pilote, didn't really play serious hockey till he was 17.
One reason I think Leaf fans are so enamoured with Liljegren is the overwhelming urge to have RHDs. And when he "fell" to Leafs at pick 17, it was karma. I'd be surprised if he even gets much Leaf time in 2018/19, though he does has the traits to be a good NHLer, maybe more.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto

ooh not bad, yeah id say that's pretty good. not sure he will get to the same scoring in the AHL this season that Montour got in his 3 AHL seasons. But smooth skating defenseman with eye for scoring, liljegren being 18 he could get to Montour scoring levels in the AHL if he stays in the AHL a few more seasons

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017

Very aggressive offensive player who always needs to have the puck on his stick and like to shoot a lot.

Defensively, he uses his skating to move the puck very quickly. But he's not strong enough to be a difference maker in his own zone yet.

Does that remind you of Montour? I haven't watched him much out of the playoffs.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Very aggressive offensive player who always needs to have the puck on his stick and like to shoot a lot.

Defensively, he uses his skating to move the puck very quickly. But he's not strong enough to be a difference maker in his own zone yet.

Does that remind you of Montour? I haven't watched him much out of the playoffs.
Ya that actually sounds a lot like montour, granted montour was a bit older going through lower leagues... i kinda forget he was kinda a late starter.

You guys think hell make the team next year?

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Ya that actually sounds a lot like montour, granted montour was a bit older going through lower leagues... i kinda forget he was kinda a late starter.

I don't think he will right away anyways. I think Dermott will get his shot before Liljegren early next year and Liljegren finds his way in as the season goes on.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
I think the mentality will probably be keep him in the AHL unless he's a clear upgrade over the other options. So if he's considered at about the same level or marginally better than Carrick/Borgman/Dermott/etc in training camp, they'll probably err on the side of caution and keep him in the AHL (especially considering waiver issues for other players).

5/7 of our NHL defencemen are signed already for next season, another one is an RFA, and we're rumoured to have a verbal agreement with that KHL defenceman. So we'll have to see what happens between now and next September in terms of personnel changes, and what Liljegren's development is looking like.

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017

They'll be patient so I don't think so unless he takes big steps.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Faulk seems like a good comp to me, at least in the offensive zone. Liljegren might be a little more prone to using deceptive changes of direction to beat guys where Faulk tends to be more hands/speed burst, but very similar looking on tendencies for wrist/slap shots and overall propensity to shoot

firstemperor

May 25, 2011

Agreed with others above me...in terms of his offensive ability, he reminds me closely of Faulk/Rielly. He has a good snap shot from the point with a lot of zip (he doesn't need much space/time to get this off and it's pretty deceptive) and can side-step a bit at the point to open shooting lanes at the point. He's also adept at walking the line....they all skate the puck out well. If we're talking ceiling, I've seen more dynamic qualities to Liljegren's game at the same age....he loves the slap pass, cross-ice past, he also has a slapper that Rielly doesn't have really use in his toolbox. While all are good, strong skaters, Rielly is better skating backwards and probably had superior acceleration at the same age.

He's looked very good to date, but he's only coming back from a ~week layoff due to an injury.. He has solid gap-control and a good stick....and he's getting used to the timing, pace of the smaller ice. I think he has more to his game that he isn't showing, because he's simplified it so much, but that's overall probably a good thing.

If I had to say point out some weaknesses, he's not super adept at winning the puck in 1 on 1 battles right now, which is a necessity at the next level. Definitely needs to get stronger, I'm not sure if it's upper body as much as lower body and getting a better centre of gravity- as he gets knocked around too easily right now. That said, he's not afraid to engage physically and knock players around, which is a good sign as compete can be a real issue with younger guys.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
I had a dream that Vancouver traded Gudbranson to Toronto for Liljegren.

For some, that might seem like a nightmare. Felt pretty dreamy to me.
ugh now that I've seen this there's a chance that I end up dreaming about it too, I'm gonna wake up so mad if that happens

While all are good, strong skaters, Rielly is better skating backwards and probably had superior acceleration at the same age.

If I had to say point out some weaknesses, he's not super adept at winning the puck in 1 on 1 battles right now, which is a necessity at the next level. Definitely needs to get stronger, I'm not sure if it's upper body as much as lower body and getting a better centre of gravity- as he gets knocked around too easily right now. That said, he's not afraid to engage physically and knock players around, which is a good sign as compete can be a real issue with younger guys.

On the skating vs. Rielly point I agree but I think Liljegren's edgework should be mentioned - he lives on them and I think his edge work is better than Rielly's. Also makes him super deceptive, if he turns out he's going to make some guys look very silly when they bite on his fakes

Agree on the 1 on 1 stuff, but Rielly's development there might be a positive sign. He's quietly turned into a pretty bullish player, and Liljegren's build is similar so I think there's a good chance he could do the same with the right conditioning. I think it flies under the radar a lot that Rielly is 6'1" and 217lbs with all that speed because he as "undersized" as a prospect, has really turned into a gym rat

Last edited:

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
The great thing about Lilly is that he is able to stand up to defensive pressure, and isnt afraid to engage physically all though he isnt a physical player obviously. The "afraid of his own shadow" comments look pretty silly.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
From what I’ve seen, he’s actually quite a good 1-on-1 defender for his age, guys have a lot of trouble beating him straight up. His weaknesses are more around defensive positioning away from the puck, within a system. He’s not too bad there either, though, especially for an 18 year old playing in the AHL. It’s a very common weakness for young dmen, I personally think he has lots of defensive upside, and obviously great offensive upside - his skating, hands, shot and athleticism are all top notch.

Will he be a stud? Who knows, development of dmen is really hard to predict, but I do think he has top pairing upside. Even if he doesn’t reach that, I think he’s a near lock to be a solid NHLer. I can definitely see the comparisons to guys like Montour, Faulk and OEL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad