RD Noah Dobson - Acadie-Bathurst Titan, QMJHL (2018, 12th, NYI)

TkachukNorris79

Jan 27, 2018
It just depends on what teams want. Ottawa will take one of those defencemen and Arizona should too, unless they love Tkachuk. You know Detroit will snag Boqvist or Hughes if available, which means unless Ottawa takes a run at Dobson at 4, he should be there at 7. And Vancouver will grab him. I see the first 10 going like:

BUF-Dahlin
CAR-Svechnikov
MTL-Zadina
OTT-Boqvist
ARI-Tkachuk
DET-Hughes
VAN-Dobson
CHI-Bouchard
NYR-Wahlstrom
EDM-Kotkaniemi/Smith (EDM likely trades this to someone else)

As a sens fan, I'd be amped with Dobson even if it's at 4. I'd consider trading down a couple spots to get him, maybe with Detroit if they think Hughes will go to Ottawa or Arizona. Or maybe NYR if they want Tkachuk (not sure how much input Dan Quinn will have).

But damn would a Chabot-Dobson pairing look good for the next decade.

Reactions: 99664987

Doublechin

Jun 23, 2013
I can definitely see the Habs or Senators drafting him at 3 or 4. I have Dobson and Hughes as 3 and 4 personally.

Reactions: 99664987

Doublechin

Jun 23, 2013
As much as I like Dobson (I have him as my top D choice after Dahlin), I think if Montreal is going to reach at #3 it'll be for the C.

That's quite the reach I'd rather trade down to around 7 if I'm doing so and if he's gone by then (10 percent chance IMO) I'd grab one of Hughes or Dobson if available.

WHISTLERNATE

Nov 14, 2017
The top 3 looks like it should be pretty set in terms of BPA with Dahlin, Svechnikov and Zadina. MTL may draft for need and take a C or trade down though. After that 4-10 are completely up in the air, and I feel could go in any order.

Tkachuk
Wahlstrom
Kotkaniemi

Hughes
Boqvist
Dobson
Bouchard

I think that everyone who drafts in the top 10 is going to leave the draft feeling very good about the player that they pick up. Dobson would be my preference for the Canucks, but I feel his play at the MC has probably moved him up a few spots before we pick.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Pretty confident the sens do, so there you are. I am not saying I agree with it, but it sounds like Bouchard will be the sens pick as long as one of the top 3 doesnt fall.
Do you have any links that say this or is this from your contacts?

cbtitan

Oct 3, 2017
Dobson IMO is a better player and has more impact on his team than Zadina ever had this last season, and I saw Zadina play often being a Titan STH.
I am not disputing the fact that there are other players elsewhere with a great impact, but Dobson has been the best D to ever play in Bathurst in the last 19 years, including Francois Beauchemin, Jonathan Girard and Bruno Gervais.
I can't see him going lower than #5 at this draft.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
I have him at 7 on my board, but fully expect him to go top 5. He's been the best CHL eligible dman this year by a fair margin imo (yes even with Bouchard in the mix) and is making a mockery of the mem cup.

thedoubledown

May 24, 2018
The only question mark on Dobson is how his offense will translate to the NHL. There is no question that he will be a shut down D. IMO it's the reason why Hughes and Boqvist will probably be drafted ahead of him.

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
The only question mark on Dobson is how his offense will translate to the NHL. There is no question that he will be a shut down D. IMO it's the reason why Hughes and Boqvist will probably be drafted ahead of him.
They may have a higher ceiling, but I just can’t credit this comment. Dobson 1) already has a damn good stretch pass 2) regularly uses his fantastic and somehow incredibly unrecognized speed to join the rush, even going to the front of the net on 3-on-2s as a d-man 3) easily has a better shot than Hughes and IMO one that is on par with Boqvist’s (definitely more power) and 4) already has shown occasional willingness to hold the puck when in possession of it on the top of the blue line and move laterally or down the boards despite tight coverage by the opposing winger, which is what you see all the great offensive NHL d-men do (Klingberg is the most prolific at it).

FireBird71

Aug 6, 2015
It just depends on what teams want. Ottawa will take one of those defencemen and Arizona should too, unless they love Tkachuk. You know Detroit will snag Boqvist or Hughes if available, which means unless Ottawa takes a run at Dobson at 4, he should be there at 7. And Vancouver will grab him. I see the first 10 going like:

BUF-Dahlin
CAR-Svechnikov
MTL-Zadina
OTT-Boqvist
ARI-Tkachuk
DET-Hughes
VAN-Dobson
CHI-Bouchard
NYR-Wahlstrom
EDM-Kotkaniemi/Smith (EDM likely trades this to someone else)

As a sens fan, I'd be amped with Dobson even if it's at 4. I'd consider trading down a couple spots to get him, maybe with Detroit if they think Hughes will go to Ottawa or Arizona. Or maybe NYR if they want Tkachuk (not sure how much input Dan Quinn will have).

But damn would a Chabot-Dobson pairing look good for the next decade.

Detroit isn't trading up

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
but Dobson has been the best D to ever play in Bathurst in the last 19 years, including Francois Beauchemin, Jonathan Girard and Bruno Gervais.

I would hope so?

Respectfully, none of those guys were or should have been at any point considered high draft picks. Even Beauchemin, with the nice career he carved out, isn't really a top half of the 1st rd type of talent.

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
I would hope so?

Respectfully, none of those guys were or should have been at any point considered high draft picks. Even Beauchemin, with the nice career he carved out, isn't really a top half of the 1st rd type of talent.
I think the idea is that those players were very good in junior, and played their 19 and in some cases 20 year old seasons there, and draft-eligible Dobson is still the best d-man he has seen play for them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad