RD Nils Lundkvist - Luleå, SWE JRs (2018, 28th, NYR)

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
Did anyone catch his 1st period yesterday against Karlskrona? Made several really high end plays against SHL competition. Hard to believe he hasn't been more productive in J20 (although he plays for a low scoring team). He's listed as 5'11 but that's very generous.

Last edited:

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
This kid is currently rocketing up every teams draft lists. Outplayed Boqvist and Lundeström today with a ton of scouts in the stands.

Bustedprospect

Mar 10, 2006
He looks pretty sound in his own end. Give him another season and the points will fly. Going to be interesting to follow for sure.

Boqvist will drop lite a rock in the rankings. Could be a bust at senior level hockey.

Last edited:

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
He looks pretty sound in his own end. Give him another season and the points will fly. Going to be interesting to follow for sure.

Boqvist will drop lite a rock in the rankings. Could be a bust at senior level hockey.

This was the 1st game where Boqvist got a regular shift in the SHL and it was in a game where his team got dominated. Wouldn't draw any conclusions from this game, he was just trying to play as simple as possible which really isn't his game. Lundkvist has played a lot of SHL minutes already and is starting to look really good, he's however been given a ton of opportunities with PP time unlike Boqvist.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Puckluck11

Feb 13, 2008
Luleå
Lundkvist looks more and more comfortable playing with confidence. Is active and getting involved more offensively than earlier in the season.

I tend to agree on Boqvist, he played a simple game, did not stand out. Looks a bit taller and stockier than listed. I wonder if that has impacted his skating as he looks a bit slow. Far to early to label him a bust. His brother on the other hand..:(..wjc and continuing in shl.

Garl

Oct 7, 2006
Lundkvist looks more and more comfortable playing with confidence. Is active and getting involved more offensively than earlier in the season.

I tend to agree on Boqvist, he played a simple game, did not stand out. Looks a bit taller and stockier than listed. I wonder if that has impacted his skating as he looks a bit slow. Far to early to label him a bust. His brother on the other hand..:(..wjc and continuing in shl.

9p in 13 games as a 19 y.o in SHL is good no?

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
How does he compare to a guy like Westerlund last year?

I think Lundkvist is better than Westerlund by quite a lot, both with and without the puck. I was never high on Westerlund last year though, probably went a couple of rounds too high for my liking.

What I want to see from Lundkvist is how he stacks up against his peers. His J20 numbers are just okay, not great. He's selected for the U18 5-nations tournament that takes place next week so I guess we will have a better picture after that. The second thing is his size, 5'11 Boqvist for example definitely looks taller.

Puckluck11

Feb 13, 2008
Luleå
9p in 13 games as a 19 y.o in SHL is good no?

Sure is good! It’s just his play or lack off that’s frustrates me (see wjc). Stays on the perimeter and so easy to knock off the puck. Adding strength could do the trick and I like that his team is giving him the opportunities to improve playing recently on the top line.

Reactions: VictorLustig

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
This kid is really intriguing and playing well at the SHL level. He is also one of the younger guys in the draft with a late July birthday. I am curious to see how high he has risen up the rankings come draft day. Can we expect to see him at the U18s?

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
Nils Lundkvist Scouting Reports I could find with a quick search…

RHD Nils Lundqvist (Ranked No. 203)
Lundqvist is a speedy puck mover with a lot of flair to his game, and the risks he takes make sense when you consider how many defensively-responsible forwards Sweden had. He’s an excellent skater and playmaker who takes multiple ventures deep into opposing territory, but the overwhelming majority of them are timely. His defensive play is decent at best when you consider how often the puck is on his stick, but Lundkvist can be guilty of wandering too far from the slot and overcommitting to the strong side. He’ll improve his play in the corners when he bulks up, but his few shortcomings are minor when you factor in his speed and puck skills. Is he the Swedish version of Ryan Merkley? I would venture to say the two are closer than I had initially thought.
-Steve Kournianos The Draft Analyst
The Draft Analyst | 2018 Draft: U18 Five Nations Recap and Scouting Reports

Observations
:
March 2018 – With his late July birthday, Lundkvist is quite young for the 2018 NHL Draft but he has already spent most of the season in the SHL the top league in Sweden. Playing in the SHL is impressive as not many 17-year-old defensemen can do that – and when they do, it’s usually either playing limited minutes or they are on a bad team. His Luleå team is on its way to the playoffs and Lundkvist’s average ice time is almost 16 minutes per game. Lundkvist is a smart offensive defenseman who loves to join the rush. His skating is very good and his puck-movement is excellent, but his defensive game needs improvement. Lundkvist has been a quick riser in draft rankings and is now considered a possible first round selection. He needs some time to physically mature but his offensive upside is very good. Jokke Nevalainen
Fantasy Outlook: B
Puck-moving defenseman with top-four upside
- Jokke Nevalainen at Dobber Prospects
Nils Lundkvist

The highest ranked newcomer to the list is Swedish defenseman Nils Lundkvist (#40), who had a scouting report from our own Jimmy Hamrin posted just last week. Although undersized, Lundkvist is mobile, moves the puck ably and has exceptional hockey IQ.
-McKeens Hockey
2018 NHL Draft - McKeen’s Mid-Season Rankings

Reactions: 95

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
I don't agree with Lundkvist being an offensive D-man but I guess every smallish swift skating D-man is Erik Karlsson these days. Lundkvist doesn't quite have the instincts to be a really high end scorer like Boqvist for example, he does however read the game very well in his own zone and makes good decisions with the puck. Think he will develop more into an Anton Strålman type player.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I don't agree with Lundkvist being an offensive D-man but I guess every smallish swift skating D-man is Erik Karlsson these days. Lundkvist doesn't quite have the instincts to be a really high end scorer like Boqvist for example, he does however read the game very well in his own zone and makes good decisions with the puck. Think he will develop more into an Anton Strålman type player.

Yeah, I was just saying this in the Rangers section when this topic came up.

He's more in the Brannstrom mold than the Boqvist mold, in my opinion.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
An interesting fact about Lundkvist is that he's playing on the same team as his uncle Jan Sandström. That guy is playing his 17th straight season with Luleå.

PuckPoise

May 25, 2011
Dark horse 1st rounder. NHL teams love when players play big minutes in pro leagues.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

That's an intriguing comparison. I was trying to think of good skating defensemen who aren't actually offensive defensemen, I default to Bret Hedican because, well, I'm that old. :D

Reactions: 4thline

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
That's an intriguing comparison. I was trying to think of good skating defensemen who aren't actually offensive defensemen, I default to Bret Hedican because, well, I'm that old. :D
Hjalmarsson too. Classic smooth skating "Puck moving D" but not "Offensive D"

Reactions: Chainshot

hallonskal

Jun 1, 2010
Lundkvist was awarded "Best defenseman in J20 SuperElit 2017/2018" after todays bronze medal game. Quite suprising, since he spent a big part of this season in SHL.

Reactions: hi

Goose of Reason

El Zilcho
May 1, 2013
Lundkvist was awarded "Best defenseman in J20 SuperElit 2017/2018" after todays bronze medal game. Quite suprising, since he spent a big part of this season in SHL.

Does that cover the whole season or just playoffs/the bronze game? Was Boqvist not eligible because he's in the SHL? I'm not really sure how SuperElit works.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad