Player Discussion RD Miro Karjalainen 5th round 135th Overall 2014 Draft.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
Prospect info
Name Miro Karjalainen
Position right Defenceman
Height 197cm (6'5)
Weight 93 kg ( 205 lbs)
Born May 23 1996.
Stick hand Right.

After his NHL draft, in summer 2014 Miro signed 3 years pro contract with HIFK Helsinki FEL team.
Last season he struggled with, several injuries and he played only 10 games in HIFK A juniors ( U20 team.)

This season Karjalainen has played 11 games in HIFK A juniors, and he's scored there 6 points ( 1 goal 5 assists).
Also he's took 66 penalty minutes.

Past weekend Miro Karjalainen debuted, in HIFK's FEL team.
HIFK called him up, their 2 FEL games against HPK Hameenlinna and Karpat Oulu.

Those games Miro logged ice time, 6,16 minutes per game.
He was HIFK's 7th defenceman, without power-play and penalty killing minutes.

Also Miro has participated Finland's U20 team, in 4 nations tournament in Russia this august.
He played there 3 games, and scored one goal.

As a player, Miro isn't natural scoring machine or puck moving dman.
He's solid stay at home defenceman, with extremely hard and heavy shot and he plays hard and tough physical game.

Miro's physical game-style, might cause some minor penalties and major game misconduct penalties for boarding.
And that's why he's been few times suspended, in HIFK U20 team's preseason and regular season games this year.

In HIFK juniors Miro has got individual junior coaching, and his mentor is former Finnish NHL defenceman Toni Lydman.
Who works his 2nd season with HIFK juniors, Lydman's title in HIFK has young defenceman's individual coach.

Before coming to north america, Miro needs improve his skating and physical abilities.
Also he need's gain more muscles, for his big frames.

Miro's 3 yrs pro contract, with HIFK FEL team finishing spring 2017.

Last edited:

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
This guy has been intriguing to me. I'd eventually like to see him signed and see how his physical game translates to the NA game in Texas.

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
Miro Karjalainen D - 2014 Round 5 #135 Overall

This guy is intriguing to me. I'm hoping someone from Finland has seen him play to shed some light on this guy. He looks like he got a promotion to the HIFK Liiga team from the Finish Juniors. He is a big one at 6'5 205 lbs and is putting up "throwback-level" PIMs at over 5 PIM/game! Haven't seen someone like that in a while...especially in Finland. Sounds like he's got a mean-streak.

I will post this on the Finnish Board too.

Junior Stats - HIFK U20
14GP 1G 5A 6PTS 76PIM +3

Liiga Stats - HIFK
2GP 0G 0A 0PTS 0 PIM 0 +/-

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
Miro Karjalainen scored his 1st career and regular season goal tonight when HIFK won Kalpa Kuopio 2-1 their home game in Helsinki ice-hall ( HIFK was home team).

Karjalainen scored his goal 3rd period time 57:20 goal was assisted by Daniel Grillfors and Thomas Nykopp.
Quite ironic was that Kalpa's starting goalie was Eero Kilpelainen he was Dallas 5th round selection in 2003 NHL entry draft.

Here's all goals to HIFK vs Kalpa game. Karjalainen's 1st FEL goal is view-able 02:30- 02:40
http://www.ruutu.fi/video/2754312

Karjalainen's goal was hard and quick onetimer slap-shot directly top-self no chance to save for Kilpelainen.
If video is geo-blocked or it won't work let me know.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad