RD Kris Letang (2005, 62nd overall, Pittsburgh)

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
It could definitely be argued that he is. As it is right now the top 3 are the Johnsons and Staal, after that it's entirely up for debate.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
definitely... i see him having a great year next year somewhere between vlasic and carle did this year

I like that. If Letang were to put up 35-40 points next year and play anywhere close to what Vlasic did in his own end last year, I'd be a very happy Pens fan.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
I think Letang could be considered a top 5 defensive prospect but it's entirely up to debate. Like DaveG stated, the consensus top 3 are EJ, JJ and Marc Staal. After that I think it's a toss-up between a number of players(Letang, Bourdon, Russell, Parent, Franson). Top 10? Definitely. Top 5? That's up for debate.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I think Letang could be considered a top 5 defensive prospect but it's entirely up to debate. Like DaveG stated, the consensus top 3 are EJ, JJ and Marc Staal. After that I think it's a toss-up between a number of players(Letang, Bourdon, Russell, Parent, Franson). Top 10? Definitely. Top 5? That's up for debate.

No doubting the top 3. Russell and Letang are about in a dead heat in my books, similar types of smallish, effective two-way players who've been dominant in juniors. Parent's a rock, though fairly one-dimensional, but I wouldn't argue with someone putting him in the top 5 on his stellar defense alone.

Franson's a physical monster with a fantastic breakout pass and some nice offense, but I'm concerned about him not using his size as much as he should. I'd leave him out of the top 5. Bourdon? Never quite seen what was so special about him. Wouldn't make my list either, even as an HM.

Letang fan 58

No More Fleury
May 12, 2004
Canada
No doubting the top 3. Russell and Letang are about in a dead heat in my books, similar types of smallish, effective two-way players who've been dominant in juniors. Parent's a rock, though fairly one-dimensional, but I wouldn't argue with someone putting him in the top 5 on his stellar defense alone.

Franson's a physical monster with a fantastic breakout pass and some nice offense, but I'm concerned about him not using his size as much as he should. I'd leave him out of the top 5. Bourdon? Never quite seen what was so special about him. Wouldn't make my list either, even as an HM.

Letang and Russel are very similar offensively.........however Russell really isnt that stellar defensively and Letang was named best Defensive Dman in the Q this year as well as best Offensive Dman.

I think Parent is likely in the top 5 with Letang behind the Johnson's and Staal....Bourdon I think is 7th behind Letang Parent and Russell.

john g

Mar 6, 2002
Korbi
vlasic is far better in his own end than letang

look at the Pens D that played in 06-07, that is a far more telling reason why letang made the team to start with than his skills. he's good but blueline corp was horrific so it was easier to make than another team. if vlasic made the team for 9-10 games only, that would have a been a far bigger deal based on whom he beat out

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
Letang has had an extraordinary year. He made the Pens as a 19 year old, and though he was sent back to juniors (a move that Shero attributed to having too many defensemen already under contract), he went on to win his second consecutive WJC gold with Team Canada, which he captained, and was subsequently named to the All-Tournament Team ahead of such highly touted defensive prospects as Jack Johnson, Marc Staal, Ryan Parent, and Luc Bourdon.

Further, during his regular season junior campaign, he had the highest PPG average for defensemen in the Q, and won the Butch Bouchard Trophy for best defenseman as well as, contrary to those who claim he's a purely offensive blueliner, the Kevin Lowe Trophy as best defensive-defenseman.

In the playoffs, he led his team to the QMJHL Finals, was the highest scoring defenseman in the league by a wide margin, scoring 31 points in 19 games, and finished 2nd in overall playoff scoring.

So in sum, I think the kid's been pretty underrated as a whole, and figure he ought to get the recognition he deserves as a top prospect, given his accomplishments this year.

My top 5:

Erik Johnson
Marc Staal
Jack Johnson
Kris Letang
Kris Russell

HM: Ryan Parent

Thoughts?

I'd like to throw a couple of names on there who I think might be ahead of Letang at this point - Cody Franson, Jakub Kindl, and Brian Lee.

I think all the defensemen listed are very close to one another in terms of impact and development. It's too close to say, but there's a real good bumper crop of defensemen who are coming into the league. I'll also throw a sleeper onto the list and while some might call me a homer, fact is that Oskar Bartulis has been a player that his coaches have raved about in terms of his play. I think he'll be right up there with the guys on the list.

Garl

Oct 7, 2006
Letang has had an extraordinary year. He made the Pens as a 19 year old, and though he was sent back to juniors (a move that Shero attributed to having too many defensemen already under contract), he went on to win his second consecutive WJC gold with Team Canada, which he captained, and was subsequently named to the All-Tournament Team ahead of such highly touted defensive prospects as Jack Johnson, Marc Staal, Ryan Parent, and Luc Bourdon.

Further, during his regular season junior campaign, he had the highest PPG average for defensemen in the Q, and won the Butch Bouchard Trophy for best defenseman as well as, contrary to those who claim he's a purely offensive blueliner, the Kevin Lowe Trophy as best defensive-defenseman.

In the playoffs, he led his team to the QMJHL Finals, was the highest scoring defenseman in the league by a wide margin, scoring 31 points in 19 games, and finished 2nd in overall playoff scoring.

So in sum, I think the kid's been pretty underrated as a whole, and figure he ought to get the recognition he deserves as a top prospect, given his accomplishments this year.

My top 5:

Erik Johnson
Marc Staal
Jack Johnson
Kris Letang
Kris Russell

HM: Ryan Parent

Thoughts?

Maybe he is a TOP 5 Defenseman prospect.

But here's my list:
E.Johnson
A.Stralman
J.Kindl
J.Johnson
M.Staal

HM Letang, Alex Edler, O.Bartulis.

So it's arguable. However Letang belongs to TOP 5 discussion.

V13

Fire Sell Tank
Sep 21, 2005
M1 Habsram
What about Cam Barker ? Has he fallen from grace ? I remember him being highly touted and hyped a few years ago and now he's not even making anyone's top 5 ?

Now i haven't followed him much but i'm just surprised that he seems to have been forgotten.

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
I like the thought of Letang vs. Russell, being a Penguins fan originally from Columbus.

At this point, I like Kris Russell ahead of Letang, simply because he's carried that Medicine Hat team. They went on one of the longest unbeaten streaks in WHL history after Russell came back from the WJCs, and since his arrival in the WHL have been one of the elite teams every single season.

That being said, I would put BOTH Russell and Letang in my top 5:

1. J. Johnson
2. E. Johnson
3. Russell
4. Letang
5. Franson

Maybe my WHL proximity helps Russell and Franson's case; so be it, I think they're both extremely talented.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
What about Cam Barker ? Has he fallen from grace ? I remember him being highly touted and hyped a few years ago and now he's not even making anyone's top 5 ?

Now i haven't followed him much but i'm just surprised that he seems to have been forgotten.

Other than being the answer to the trivia question, who went after Malkin and Ovechkin in the 2005 draft, Barker has only his lofty draft status to keep him in the discussion. Oh, he is a legit prospect and not a bad player at all, but has not come along at all as any would have hoped nor has he justified the draft position. I certainly would not trade Barker for Letang straight up, and Letang being drafted in the third round and Barker number three means nothing at this point.

Faktisti*

teemu laakso and joonas lehtivuori

both might come to play in nhl after few years

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I like the thought of Letang vs. Russell, being a Penguins fan originally from Columbus.

At this point, I like Kris Russell ahead of Letang, simply because he's carried that Medicine Hat team. They went on one of the longest unbeaten streaks in WHL history after Russell came back from the WJCs, and since his arrival in the WHL have been one of the elite teams every single season.

That being said, I would put BOTH Russell and Letang in my top 5:

1. J. Johnson
2. E. Johnson
3. Russell
4. Letang
5. Franson

Maybe my WHL proximity helps Russell and Franson's case; so be it, I think they're both extremely talented.

No Staal?

That's like whoa.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Maybe he is a TOP 5 Defenseman prospect.

But here's my list:
E.Johnson
A.Stralman
J.Kindl
J.Johnson
M.Staal

HM Letang, Alex Edler, O.Bartulis.

So it's arguable. However Letang belongs to TOP 5 discussion.

If that's in order, you got some 'splaining to do.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I'd like to throw a couple of names on there who I think might be ahead of Letang at this point - Cody Franson, Jakub Kindl, and Brian Lee.

I think all the defensemen listed are very close to one another in terms of impact and development. It's too close to say, but there's a real good bumper crop of defensemen who are coming into the league. I'll also throw a sleeper onto the list and while some might call me a homer, fact is that Oskar Bartulis has been a player that his coaches have raved about in terms of his play. I think he'll be right up there with the guys on the list.

Kindl might at least be comparable, but I don't see any reason at all to put Lee ahead of Letang. KL's outplayed him any time I've seen them both at the same tournament.

Bartulis is a top 15-20 defensive prospect.

Amen evil king

Apr 11, 2004
What about Keith Yandle? He's the same age as these guys, also has big point totals in his one Q season, and has already put up a good (statistically) AHL season to boot.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Do you have some sort of sick fetish for undersized offensive defenceman?

Nope, because Letang and Russell aren't offensive defensemen, they're well-rounded two-way defensemen. And when they've accomplished as much as those two have, they warrant a high ranking.

RC51

Dec 10, 2005
mtl
Until Letang proves himself as a top pro, he is just another prospect.
As we all know most prospects end up as busts, so it's still a long shot at best.

HFNHL Canadiens

Aug 12, 2004
Guelph
As we all know most prospects end up as busts, so it's still a long shot at best.
under that logic, then Letang is ahead of the Johnsons and Staal, because, he has proven more then them, (Letang has played 7 NHL games, 2goals). I am not saying its right, I am just saying under RC51's logic, Letang is a top d prospect, however himself, the Johnsons and Staal are longshots at best. Under RC51's logic.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006

I don't even know where to start. Read the thread title, maybe?

Boston

Captain Chara
Oct 3, 2005
I think Matt Lashoff is boarderline -- probably on the outside looking in. He has done a great job in the AHL this year and was named to the all-rookie team and the WorldUSA all-star team. He may be in Beantown as early as next year, as he looked pretty good during his short stint with the team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad