RD Kris Letang (2005, 62nd overall, Pittsburgh)

The Prospector

Jul 14, 2006
Thanks for the input bro....But look at the question I asked again...Basically, where would you take him if the draft was held again today?

Sorry, here's the answer: very early 2nd draft pick or very late 1st rounder.

So between position #30-37

Eb0la11

Aug 28, 2004
Calgary
He was listed at 5'11.5" and 207 lbs at Canadas summer evaluation camp for team Canada... Thats not that small.

MALKIN IS GOD !!!!!!*

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php3?pid=00080459

Kris Letangs stock has obviously risen since his draft day, and knowing now, how smaller players can easily be more effective in the new NHL, where would you have drafted Kris Letang if the 2005 draft were to be redone?
Im thinking a first rounder but Im a Pens fan and am curious about an unobjective opinion (meaning non Pens fans).
I believe his size may have affected his draft status.
Same question goes for Goligoski.

I would have still taken him in the 2nd round. He s good but Goligoski is better

Russian_fanatic

Jan 19, 2004
Letang is very good offensively, but I don't think he is that good defensively. He is above average in my mind, but his offensive instincts are very good. I think he can pan out as a #3 defenseman which is an absolute steal where he got picked. I take him late first round in that STRONG draft.

Transported Upstater

Letang has been outstanding at Pen(i?)s camp so far.

EDIT: I should read people's responses first before responding next time...

stardog

Been on HF so long my Myspace link is part of my p
Oct 31, 2003
www.myspace.com
Letang has been outstanding at Pen(i?)s camp so far.
EDIT: I should read people's responses first before responding next time...

There was a typo in one of the Pittsburgh newspapers (Trib or Post Gazette) online stories about 5 years ago where the headline basically made the same mistake you did. I used to have it saved (and they took it off a few hours later realizing what a horrible mistake it was) before my computer crashed, but instead of reading "Mario likes young Pens", it read "Mario likes young Penis"... maybe someone else has it saved still, but wow...talk about a major screw up.

Last edited:

Transported Upstater

There was a typo in one of the Pittsburgh newspapers (Trip or Posy Gazette) online stories about 5 years ago where the headline basically made the same mistake you did. I used to have it saved (and they took it off a few hours later realizing what a horrible mistake it was) before my computer crashed, but it read "Mario likes young Penis"... maybe someone else has it saved still, but wow...talk about a major screw up.

HAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh:

#1GuinFan

Apr 4, 2003
canada
Visit site
Agreed.

I love Goligoski but I think Letang is starting to not just put himself ahead but distance himself.

Finally people are seeing the light!!! :yo: - not that I've been trying to take anything away from Goli, but I have no doubt in my mind that Letang is the better prospect, and behind only Noah Welch in our organizational depth chart among defensemen.

now he better not get over-hyped :teach:

Don'tcry4mejanhrdina

Aug 4, 2003
This space.
There was a typo in one of the Pittsburgh newspapers (Trib or Post Gazette) online stories about 5 years ago where the headline basically made the same mistake you did. I used to have it saved (and they took it off a few hours later realizing what a horrible mistake it was) before my computer crashed, but instead of reading "Mario likes young Pens", it read "Mario likes young Penis"... maybe someone else has it saved still, but wow...talk about a major screw up.

Well with a name like Mario.....(spins bow tie)..

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
He's 5'11 190 pounds, which by no means is huge....and if this were the old NHL, I would agree with you. But I certainly dont think it would affect his draft status if it were to be held again today.
In fact, He can go back in the draft next year if the Pens dont sign him (which is highly doubtful). If he had a season like he did this past season, I wouldnt be surprised to see him go in round one.
Size wont be near the issue that it used to be. Of course it would be nice to have, but the skill and speed is at a premium now, more so than big lumbering pylons, and, as stated, 190 pounds isnt bad at all.

i agree i think he will be a top 4 dman pp qback, but i dont feel he'll be able to contain guys like thornton, bertuzzi, and such.

Eb0la11

Aug 28, 2004
Calgary
I dont know why everyone keeps saying Letang is too small. Hes 1 inch under the average NHL size and is already 207 lbs. Size wont be that much of an issue for this guy unless hes playing the premier power forwards like Iginla, Thornton, Bertuzzi etc...

cassius

Jul 23, 2004
Letang's potential?

Hey guys, Pens fan here that is just curious about this kid. He is absolutely tearing it up in the Q- (8+14 in 12 games). I saw him play a few games in Pittsburgh, but I was hoping for some opinions of people who get to watch him in junior.

What do you think Letang's potential/future is in the NHL?

What about offensive output?

What NHL'er can he compare to?

thanks

Pothier

Aug 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I saw him play a few weeks ago here in Hull. I saw a few flashes, but he looked disinterested at best. Looks like he will become a solid second pairing, two-way defenceman.

Letang fan 58

No More Fleury
May 12, 2004
Canada

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Is Kris Letang a Top 5 defensive prospect?

Letang has had an extraordinary year. He made the Pens as a 19 year old, and though he was sent back to juniors (a move that Shero attributed to having too many defensemen already under contract), he went on to win his second consecutive WJC gold with Team Canada, which he captained, and was subsequently named to the All-Tournament Team ahead of such highly touted defensive prospects as Jack Johnson, Marc Staal, Ryan Parent, and Luc Bourdon.

Further, during his regular season junior campaign, he had the highest PPG average for defensemen in the Q, and won the Butch Bouchard Trophy for best defenseman as well as, contrary to those who claim he's a purely offensive blueliner, the Kevin Lowe Trophy as best defensive-defenseman.

In the playoffs, he led his team to the QMJHL Finals, was the highest scoring defenseman in the league by a wide margin, scoring 31 points in 19 games, and finished 2nd in overall playoff scoring.

So in sum, I think the kid's been pretty underrated as a whole, and figure he ought to get the recognition he deserves as a top prospect, given his accomplishments this year.

My top 5:

Erik Johnson
Marc Staal
Jack Johnson
Kris Letang
Kris Russell

HM: Ryan Parent

Thoughts?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad