RD Kris Letang (2005, 62nd overall, Pittsburgh)

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Burgs said:
Big news today for defense prospect Kris Letang. The kid (recently turned 19) was named to Team Canada's training camp for the World Championship in Riga next month. Yes, that's the big boys' WC. :amazed:

He's one of five U20 gold winners who will attend training camp (presumably as place-holders until more NHL players arrive after their playoff exits) and the only defender of the bunch. The others are G Justin Pogge (TOR) and forwards Michael Blunden (CHI), Kyle Chipchura and Guillaume Latendresse (both MTL).

“This is a great opportunity for Hockey Canada to look to the future and give more international experience to five World Junior Championship gold medalists,†said Hockey Canada President Bob Nicholson. “We believe that this is a good way to start preparing for the future, whether it’s the 2007 World Junior Championship, future World Championships and even the 2010 Olympic Winter Games – and ensure that we ‘Own the Podium’ at these events.†(taken from Hockey Canada)

Congrats to these kids.

Letang rocks! :yo:

MeatTornado

I was born ready
Oct 25, 2004
Vancouver
Sweet, hopefully some of them stick.. It would be cool to see canadian junior players playing in a tournament like that.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Jacobv2 said:
Training camp roster.

Oops. Didn't see that, but still very impressive nonetheless.

But I will not be surprised at all if Letang sticks. He has such tremendous poise and composure with the puck and makes such smart plays. His skating ability and ability to jump into the play will be very valuable on the big ice.

Tricolore#20

PK PK PK
Jul 24, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
gobert said:
Sweet, hopefully some of them stick.. It would be cool to see canadian junior players playing in a tournament like that.

Even though the article mentions that the 5 players WON't participate at the Worlds, and will only really play against Belarus, I hope they are wrong. Perhaps if any of the 5 really stand out at the camp, and have an incredible game against Belarus, they may end up keeping them for the tourney.

I personally would love to see our World Championship teams become very young, even at the expense of winning, so that we can give our younger players the true international experience for future best on best competitions.

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh
Blaze a blaze, Letang Letang Letang
Purple haze, Letang Letang Letang

Rookie Chargers

Sep 17, 2005
Quebec
tom_servo said:
I find Letang and Maxim Noreau very much alike with Letang having just more than a slight edge in the offense department. I am willing to bet Noreau gets drafted this time around in place of some Europeans. :)

Eb0la11

Aug 28, 2004
Calgary
So what exactly is this saying about Letang? Is he arguably in the top 2-3 for defencemen in the QMJHL? Whyd he get taken over other guys like Bourdon and Yandle? Has he improved this year? I was underwhelmed with him slightly at the WJHC. I thought he was pretty good but sometimes was a little careless with his plays I thought. He was definately smooth, but sometimes lacked the extra gear to "make sure" on some plays. Anyone who sees alot of him?

ZombieMatt

May 20, 2002
Eb0la11 said:
So what exactly is this saying about Letang? Is he arguably in the top 2-3 for defencemen in the QMJHL? Whyd he get taken over other guys like Bourdon and Yandle? Has he improved this year? I was underwhelmed with him slightly at the WJHC. I thought he was pretty good but sometimes was a little careless with his plays I thought. He was definately smooth, but sometimes lacked the extra gear to "make sure" on some plays. Anyone who sees alot of him?

Bourdon and Yandle are both still in the QMJHL playoffs.

Furthermore, Yandle is American.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Matt MacInnis said:
Bourdon and Yandle are both still in the QMJHL playoffs.

Furthermore, Yandle is American.
Whoa, big-time serving!!!

Eb0la11

Aug 28, 2004
Calgary
I coulda easilly checked to see if he was american or not, I was just lazy. Thanks for clarifying they are in the playoffs, but thanks for nothing in regards to answering other questions.

Then jacobv, you're a beauty... :shakehead

Rookie Chargers

Sep 17, 2005
Quebec
Eb0la11 said:
I coulda easilly checked to see if he was american or not, I was just lazy. Thanks for clarifying they are in the playoffs, but thanks for nothing in regards to answering other questions.

Then jacobv, you're a beauty... :shakehead
:dunno: It happens, don't worry. You got to admit jacobv was funny. On the other hand I wouldn't like to have lunch at the same place he does. :biglaugh:

stardog

Been on HF so long my Myspace link is part of my p
Oct 31, 2003
www.myspace.com
Question about Kris Letang and the 05 draft

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php3?pid=00080459

Kris Letangs stock has obviously risen since his draft day, and knowing now, how smaller players can easily be more effective in the new NHL, where would you have drafted Kris Letang if the 2005 draft were to be redone?
Im thinking a first rounder but Im a Pens fan and am curious about an unobjective opinion (meaning non Pens fans).
I believe his size may have affected his draft status.
Same question goes for Goligoski.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
yea, while hes a great offensive threat, he still needs to bulk up a little. He could be a very rafalski-ish player. Looking back, i would have taken him in the 2nd round.

The Prospector

Jul 14, 2006
Kris Letang one of my favourite Defensemen in the QMJHL with Mathieu Carle. Their style are pretty similar even if there are some differences in their defensive play. Letang's defensive play is quite better than Carle's defensive play. Letang will prefer to take a shot from the blueline than to get deeper in the offensive zone and try a fancy play and maybe get caught.

He's got a pretty good shot and will try it from everywhere, but you know what they say, every thing can happen if you shot on the net. Kris is very intense too, if he wants to play rough he can, even with a taller and stronger guy. Last year I saw him fight Guillaume Lepine (Rouyn), 6,03 200lbs+, and get the advantage so he's no sellfish player.

Finally, we all know his offensive skills, he's got a good wristshot from the blueline or on a near side, that he places very well in the net.
Thought he still needs to add some pounds on his shoulders, but i'm sure he's training hard to do so.

Great Prospect for the PENS!:handclap:

stardog

Oct 31, 2003
www.myspace.com
Kris Letang one of my favourite Defensemen in the QMJHL with Mathieu Carle. Their style are pretty similar even if there are some differences in their defensive play. Letang's defensive play is quite better than Carle's defensive play. Letang will prefer to take a shot from the blueline than to get deeper in the offensive zone and try a fancy play and maybe get caught.

He's got a pretty good shot and will try it from everywhere, but you know what they say, every thing can happen if you shot on the net. Kris is very intense too, if he wants to play rough he can, even with a taller and stronger guy. Last year I saw him fight Guillaume Lepine (Rouyn), 6,03 200lbs+, and get the advantage so he's no sellfish player.

Finally, we all know his offensive skills, he's got a good wristshot from the blueline or on a near side, that he places very well in the net.
Thought he still needs to add some pounds on his shoulders, but i'm sure he's training hard to do so.

Great Prospect for the PENS!:handclap:

Thanks for the input bro....But look at the question I asked again...Basically, where would you take him if the draft was held again today?

stardog

Oct 31, 2003
www.myspace.com
yea, while hes a great offensive threat, he still needs to bulk up a little. He could be a very rafalski-ish player. Looking back, i would have taken him in the 2nd round.

He's 5'11 190 pounds, which by no means is huge....and if this were the old NHL, I would agree with you. But I certainly dont think it would affect his draft status if it were to be held again today.
In fact, He can go back in the draft next year if the Pens dont sign him (which is highly doubtful). If he had a season like he did this past season, I wouldnt be surprised to see him go in round one.
Size wont be near the issue that it used to be. Of course it would be nice to have, but the skill and speed is at a premium now, more so than big lumbering pylons, and, as stated, 190 pounds isnt bad at all.

Don'tcry4mejanhrdina

Aug 4, 2003
This space.
He's 5'11 190 pounds, which by no means is huge....and if this were the old NHL, I would agree with you. But I certainly dont think it would affect his draft status if it were to be held again today.
In fact, He can go back in the draft next year if the Pens dont sign him (which is highly doubtful). If he had a season like he did this past season, I wouldnt be surprised to see him go in round one.
Size wont be near the issue that it used to be. Of course it would be nice to have, but the skill and speed is at a premium now, more so than big lumbering pylons, and, as stated, 190 pounds isnt bad at all.

I'd think he would have been a late first rounder. Look at Nemec for example, drafted 35th overall in 2002. There was talk of him being a first round pick before the draft and he was about 6', 200lbs, not a whole lot bigger than Letang. Not to mention he didn't/doesn't have Letang's skating ability or skill set. Add to the fact that the rule changes have increased the value of a player like Letang, plus his development since being drafted, and I'd have to think he wouldn't last past the 35th-40th pick. I think he was drafted later than expected not only because of his small size but also because he was paired with Luc Bourdon during his draft year if I remember correctly and everyone was high on Bourdon (for good reason), maybe overlooking Letang a bit or thinking that Bourdon made Letang look better than he was, which clearly isn't the case in hindsight.

fedorov_jr

May 8, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
is it possible that we'll see letang with the pens this season? i've been hearing great things about him lately and the pens are probably weakest on defense correct?

Don'tcry4mejanhrdina

Aug 4, 2003
This space.
is it possible that we'll see letang with the pens this season? i've been hearing great things about him lately and the pens are probably weakest on defense correct?

I highly doubt it. Pittsburgh already has Gonchar, Whitney, Orpik, Eaton, Melichar, Scuderi and Cairns on one-way contracts and Welch should easily make the team. Letang will most likely play another year in juniors. Who knows, we might see him with the Pens next year as I'm pretty sure Melichar's, Scuderi's and Cairns' contracts will all be up. Another thing going for Letang is that Pittsburgh doesn't have any right shooting defensemen on their roster.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->