RD Eamon Powell - USNTDP, USHL (2020, 116th, TBL)

sigx15

Jan 31, 2010
Powell is Boston's captain this season. 10 pts in 17 games. Anyone seen him play?
Ya I’ve watched every BC game this year. I think what I said before still stands. He’s a tweener still in my mind. He’s a really solid NCAA defender but I don’t know if he will translate to the nhl

I watch him pretty regularly at BC, he'll probably either be the captain or assistant captain this year. He's a solid defenseman but I don't know if he'll ever be an every day NHL defenseman. He's pretty fun to watch in college, good skater, great first pass and transition game, solid defensively. His issue is with his size, I don't think he's good enough offensively to be a top 4 guy and I don't think he's good enough defensively to be a bottom pair guy. Just kind of a tweener in my mind who will probably do really well in the AHL but will probably have trouble cracking the NHL lineup to be an everyday regular. He's a bit like a bigger version of David Warsofsky

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I’ve seen almost every BC game this year and though Powell is a solid NCAA player, I just don’t ever see him being a regular NHLer. He’s decent at most things but doesn’t do anything at an NHL level. He’s really the weak link amongst the guys who are fed boatloads of ice time on BC.

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
Powell grew up just outside of Syracuse. In theory, he'd love to sign with Tampa once BC is done so he can jump in with his hometown Syracuse Crunch for the playoffs and/or be a black ace for the Lightning in the playoffs.

Or does he run out the clock to August 15 to sign with whoever guarantees him an NHL spot off the bat?

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Powell grew up just outside of Syracuse. In theory, he'd love to sign with Tampa once BC is done so he can jump in with his hometown Syracuse Crunch for the playoffs and/or be a black ace for the Lightning in the playoffs.

Or does he run out the clock to August 15 to sign with whoever guarantees him an NHL spot off the bat?
Aren’t you not allowed to play in AHL playoffs if not on roster at trade deadline?

He may explore options, that could still mean signing with the Lightning prior to August 15th but he may want to give it some thought before signing the instant that game ends Saturday.

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
Aren’t you not allowed to play in AHL playoffs if not on roster at trade deadline?

He may explore options, that could still mean signing with the Lightning prior to August 15th but he may want to give it some thought before signing the instant that game ends Saturday.
He was on the reserve list, so he can play. Same as Perbix in 2022

Reactions: WarriorofTime

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York

You make a good point. Tampa lacks defensive depth in their system. Playing for them gives him as good of a chance to make it as possible.

And he must know he’s not a guaranteed NHL’er, so if he’s going to be playing a lot of AHL over the upcoming years he’d probably prefer to do that at home.

Reactions: Hockeyville USA

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad