RD David Fischer - UFA (2006, 20th overall, Montreal)

It Kills Me

Aug 6, 2004
I think you mean a failed draft pick. "Another" implies that there were several others.
He had multiple picks in most draft years. Former first picks include McDonagh, Pacioretty, Chipchura, Fisher, Price and AK.

AK was taken in the stacked 2003 draft and Price was an excellent pick no question.

Not a terrible group of players but definitely not what Timmins had me expecting. I'm not 100% sure but Timmins is the main supporter of these USHL/college picks right? While the Habs late round steals are mainly European..

I guess I meant disappointing.

ean

Nov 27, 2007
What does everyone think of this rule (the compensatory pick)?

In this case, I think it's a little bit lame. MTL drafted a 1st round bust and now doesn't want to sign him so they get a free pick for compensation? That should be MTL's fault for drafting him, doesn't really make sense to me.

I understand the Wheeler case with PHX where Wheeler refused to play for them, but I don't think this should be handled the same way. I guess the NHL doesn't have a clear way of distinguishing the 2 scenarios, so it would be hard to lay down such a rule.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Yeah, he was out of place on the top pairing, but he was there nonetheless. Too bad for Montreal, but it happens to every team sooner or later.

I actually thought he was solid in his own end, just had trouble with the physical aspects, but imo he was smart positionally and can move the puck up ice as long as he's not pressured. My concerns for him going forward are his lack of any sort of physical game, his lack of overall body strength and his limited offensive abilities (at least from what I saw from him over 4 years at Minnesota)

That said he's got a tall, lanky frame, is a great skater, good speed, smart positionally in his own end, so if I were a team that was thin on RD prospects, I'd give him a shot, what can it hurt, other then taking up one of 50 allowable contracts, and a AHL salary. I think at worst he would be a very good ECHLer.

Starsdude

Jul 7, 2002
Visit site
I actually thought he was solid in his own end, just had trouble with the physical aspects, but imo he was smart positionally and can move the puck up ice as long as he's not pressured. My concerns for him going forward are his lack of any sort of physical game, his lack of overall body strength and his limited offensive abilities (at least from what I saw from him over 4 years at Minnesota)

That said he's got a tall, lanky frame, is a great skater, good speed, smart positionally in his own end, so if I were a team that was thin on RD prospects, I'd give him a shot, what can it hurt, other then taking up one of 50 allowable contracts, and a AHL salary. I think at worst he would be a very good ECHLer.

Struck me a little like Jancevski but less physical better skater, if that then with patience a good AHLer and fill in still well worth a contract for an organixation with few RD prospects.

LeMAD

Mar 1, 2006
Montreal
lemad.freehostia.com
He had multiple picks in most draft years. Former first picks include McDonagh, Pacioretty, Chipchura, Fisher, Price and AK.

AK was taken in the stacked 2003 draft and Price was an excellent pick no question.

Not a terrible group of players but definitely not what Timmins had me expecting. I'm not 100% sure but Timmins is the main supporter of these USHL/college picks right? While the Habs late round steals are mainly European..

I guess I meant disappointing.

He also found Subban and Latendresse in the 2nd round, and Halak in the 27th round.

I'm sure Oilers fans would be happy with that.

Patty Roy

Feb 27, 2002
Canada
Visit site

In this case, I think it's a little bit lame. MTL drafted a 1st round bust and now doesn't want to sign him so they get a free pick for compensation? That should be MTL's fault for drafting him, doesn't really make sense to me.

I understand the Wheeler case with PHX where Wheeler refused to play for them, but I don't think this should be handled the same way. I guess the NHL doesn't have a clear way of distinguishing the 2 scenarios, so it would be hard to lay down such a rule.

At some point Montreal did offer Fischer a contract and he turned it down. That's why they are getting the pick.

If they had never made an offer then there would be no compensation.

nitz

Jul 27, 2009
He also found Subban and Latendresse in the 2nd round, and Halak in the 27th round.

Drafting somebody in the 2nd round is not akin to unearthing a hidden gem.

It Kills Me

Aug 6, 2004

PK is from the 2007 draft, when he had 2 firsts, and 9 picks in total.

Yea but that's not good enough for 6 years of drafting where he had multiple picks. He doesn't have anything to show for the 2006 and 2008 drafts (except maybe Kristo). I just heard in another thread that he also isn't a scout that worked his way up, he's always been a business side guy.

It Kills Me

Aug 6, 2004
But drafting Subban in the second is more than compensation for drafting a first round dud.

Two first round duds (at this time), Subban was an OHLer and the other draft steals (Streit, Grabovski, Weber) should be credited to their European head scout (who coincidentally did not like SK, while Timmins thought he was bigger steal than Halak or Streit!! in 2008). Timmins has shown his personal preference for high school and college kids despite minimal dividends for the Habs.

ruski17

Jun 7, 2010
Montreal
Two first round duds (at this time), Subban was an OHLer and the other draft steals (Streit, Grabovski, Weber) should be credited to their European head scout (who coincidentally did not like SK, while Timmins thought he was bigger steal than Halak or Streit!! in 2008). Timmins has shown his personal preference for high school and college kids despite minimal dividends for the Habs.

Grabo is just as big of a headcase as SK, so you can take him off the list of steals if you don't include SK. Weber was playing in the OHL with Kitchener so no credit goes to the European scout, but the Canadian one, I believe.

It Kills Me

Aug 6, 2004
Grabo is just as big of a headcase as SK, so you can take him off the list of steals if you don't include SK. Weber was playing in the OHL with Kitchener so no credit goes to the European scout, but the Canadian one, I believe.

He came over after being drafted. I didn't want to put Grabovski on the list, but he's a regular NHLer so I kind of had to.

SK is the only pick I can trace back to Timmins that has had success.

ean

Nov 27, 2007
At some point Montreal did offer Fischer a contract and he turned it down. That's why they are getting the pick.

If they had never made an offer then there would be no compensation.

Ah that makes more sense now. I thought something didn't seem right. Thanks for the clarification.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
He came over after being drafted. I didn't want to put Grabovski on the list, but he's a regular NHLer so I kind of had to.

SK is the only pick I can trace back to Timmins that has had success.

Weber was drafted out of the OHL, he was a rookie with the rangers.

PK is from the 2007 draft, when he had 2 firsts, and 9 picks in total.

Yea but that's not good enough for 6 years of drafting where he had multiple picks. He doesn't have anything to show for the 2006 and 2008 drafts (except maybe Kristo). I just heard in another thread that he also isn't a scout that worked his way up, he's always been a business side guy.

It's still early for the '06 and '08 drafts. Ryan White could be a regular next year, if not the following year. Danny Kristo is looking very good, he's one of the Habs top prospects and Steve Quailer is an interesting prospect but he had a knee injury that cost him all of last season so we'll have to see how it effects him.

As for Timmins, here's his bio if you want to read up on him in the NHL,

http://canadiens.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=52840

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
Fischer has an amazing skill set. Just not the right head for what he has. Think of Nuke from Bull Durham. If he ever finds the right coach or teamate that can paint the proper picture for him. He still has a lot to offer.

I know the wild just signed Nystrom. 4 years at MI and 2 in the AHL and is probablly still improving his game.

For Fischer at 22, he can still grow. He was extremely thin when drafted and has struggled to add to his frame. Give he a few years in his mid 20s to bulk up. Focus on hockey 100%. No school. A lot can happen. I am not claiming he will be mentioned with other gopher d men, but he may pop up in a few years.

InglewoodJack

Jun 10, 2009
Châteauguay
So what if he was an OHLer?

Also, you kindly forgot the 2005 draft. Price, Latendresse, SK. All three are have varying levels of success in the NHL, but nonetheless, 3 NHLers in one year is a successful one.

What about 2007?
McDonnagh
Pacioretty
Subban
Weber

Yeah, sure TT isn't the best scout in the league, but just because he doesn't hit homeruns every year, doesn't mean he sucks.

Also, SK was a big steal. 40 goals, 130 points with grit in the late rounds is a hell of a steal. Whether he pans out to his potential is no fault of Timmins.

Harry Kakalovich

Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
Also, you kindly forgot the 2005 draft. Price, Latendresse, SK. All three are have varying levels of success in the NHL, but nonetheless, 3 NHLers in one year is a successful one.

Matt D'Agostini was 2005 as well, later round pick (6th I believe). Lets see what happens with him, but a pretty good find as well.

Ryan O'Byrne was a good pick out of the 2004 draft.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
A lot of folks have a hard time discerning player value in situations like this one. While he's not nearly worth the 50th overall pick, there are MANY prospects that teams sign out there that aren't either. David Fischer has a really nice skill set that is worth trying to cultivate. Defenders, by and large, don't really have a large impact into their mid 20's anyways.

Guys that play the game like Fischer are commonly looked over anyways. Good skater, strong head for the game, mistake free, non-physical, not particularly offensive despite some solid tools.

I think a lot of those deficiencies are correctable. The raw talent exists and the brain is there... that's more than half the battle.

In short, yes he's absolutely worth a sign. He's also beyond a doubt not worth the 50th overall pick next year. He'll be playing professionally next season if he still wants to.

This guy is not A.J. Thelen. He has a pretty strong understanding of the game and is less toolsy, in whatever sense you want to translate that between personality and skills. Even Thelen is still playing professional hockey and kicking around the ECHL.

Talentless Practise*

Did the Habs offer him a contract? You only get the compensation pick if you offer a contract and the guy doesn't sign.

Edit. already discussed i see.

Last edited by a moderator:

Luigi Habs

Captain Saku
Jul 30, 2005
Montreal

Habs already offered Fischer a contract in his 2nd or 3rd year but Fischer rejected the offer, that's why the habs were awarded a compensatory pick.

We don't know why Fischer rejected it though, probably because he wanted to stay in college.

MajorBoost

Apr 11, 2009
A lot of folks have a hard time discerning player value in situations like this one. While he's not nearly worth the 50th overall pick, there are MANY prospects that teams sign out there that aren't either. David Fischer has a really nice skill set that is worth trying to cultivate. Defenders, by and large, don't really have a large impact into their mid 20's anyways.

Guys that play the game like Fischer are commonly looked over anyways. Good skater, strong head for the game, mistake free, non-physical, not particularly offensive despite some solid tools.

I think a lot of those deficiencies are correctable. The raw talent exists and the brain is there... that's more than half the battle.

In short, yes he's absolutely worth a sign. He's also beyond a doubt not worth the 50th overall pick next year. He'll be playing professionally next season if he still wants to.

This guy is not A.J. Thelen. He has a pretty strong understanding of the game and is less toolsy, in whatever sense you want to translate that between personality and skills. Even Thelen is still playing professional hockey and kicking around the ECHL.

THIS

Fischer has some decent skills and is a very fluid skater. He isn't worth a 2nd rounder but he's a interesting prospect. Most of the team could probably use a prospect like that to play in the ahl a year or two and seen how he devellop at a pro level.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->