RD David Fischer - UFA (2006, 20th overall, Montreal)

Freaky Habs Fan

Apr 26, 2003
New-Brunswick
Visit site
Fischer was one guy that impressed Guy Boucher (the Bulldogs coach) at last year's development camp. Because of that, I would be ready to sign him and take a chance. I think if Boucher saw something in him, he'll be ready to put him under his wing and make a player from him.

Also, 2011 isn't supposed to be a good draft. Anyways, we'll see at the end of the year.

Sam of Montreal

May 5, 2007
Fischer was one guy that impressed Guy Boucher (the Bulldogs coach) at last year's development camp. Because of that, I would be ready to sign him and take a chance. I think if Boucher saw something in him, he'll be ready to put him under his wing and make a player from him.

Also, 2011 isn't supposed to be a good draft. Anyways, we'll see at the end of the year.

Jacques Martin also had very good words for him and was impressed by his skillset. Whenever I saw him in development camp(2 years ago though), I was also very impressed by his skillset.

I am disappointed with the stats he's showing this year and I'm wondering what is happening with him, but I would still sign him. He is an intriguing project. He doesn't seem to put it all together, but if he ever does, he will be a good defenseman. If the problem with him is taking the right decision at the right time, than I believe Guy Boucher could help on that matter.

RE-HABS

Feb 27, 2002
CANADA
I doubt it is true, he hasn't had a stand out NCAA career to even demand that, and Gainey and Co. wouldn't accept that attitude either.

People label him as a bust, but I think he is in the wrong hockey enviroment. Too many local boys on that NCAA team in Minnesota, even Schroeder the Canucks pick is doing poorly there this season as well.

The guy is still young at only 21-22 and given he is a defenseman a contract and time to develop in Hamilton will be the most positive thing to happen to this prospect. I don't think the Habs are giving up on him yet.

Sens Mile

Sep 1, 2008
Someone with a weak prospect base will pick him up. Maybe Dallas Stars will offer a ELC for Texas depth

Sens Mile

Sep 1, 2008
can someone explain what determines the second round pick? the team that signs him or NHL ?

In the 2011 NHL draft Montreal drafts at #50 unless someone else does not sign a 1st rounder,

Always draft 30 below

Psycho Papa Joe

Porkchop Hoser
Feb 27, 2002
Cesspool, Ontario
Visit site
If the Habs wouldn't be getting a 2nd I'm sure they would have offered him a contract. But right now, based on his development, a 2nd rounder is worth more than David Fischer, hence why no contract was offered. I'm sure he's a better bet than most 4-7th rounders, so basically any team interested should consider him a free 4th round level prospect if they get him to sign. He could still become a good pro. Just look at Matt Carkner and what he had to do before finally earning a regular spot in the NHL. At the same age, Fischer looks better than Carkner did.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
He's a pretty big bust at this point, he couldn't crack University of Minnesota's top D pairing as a senior. At this point his a defenseman that isn't physical enough to be effective defensively and doesn't have the tools to be effective offensively.

badfish

Habs fan in ON
Sponsor
Nov 12, 2005
ON
Has any team ever drafted a good NHL level player with a compensation pick? I'm talking top 6 forwards or top 4 D?

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
He's a pretty big bust at this point, he couldn't crack University of Minnesota's top D pairing as a senior. At this point his a defenseman that isn't physical enough to be effective defensively and doesn't have the tools to be effective offensively.

Fischer was on the top pairing this year and last year. He was on the top PK unit since his sophmore year and he was at times on the 2nd PP unit, although his offensive game is poor.

Starsdude

Jul 7, 2002
Visit site
Given the stars only have Larsen and a bunch of guys pretty far away, I think he would be worth aELC. Even if he only earned a5-6 role here in 2011-2, pretty good for nothing.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
Has any team ever drafted a good NHL level player with a compensation pick? I'm talking top 6 forwards or top 4 D?

A lot depends on scouting, coaching, and development philosophy. There are a lot of organizations who do well with these choices. There are others who would probably screw it up. It all depends ...

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
If the Habs wouldn't be getting a 2nd I'm sure they would have offered him a contract. But right now, based on his development, a 2nd rounder is worth more than David Fischer, hence why no contract was offered. I'm sure he's a better bet than most 4-7th rounders, so basically any team interested should consider him a free 4th round level prospect if they get him to sign. He could still become a good pro. Just look at Matt Carkner and what he had to do before finally earning a regular spot in the NHL. At the same age, Fischer looks better than Carkner did.

but Fischer, even with size (though he is a string bean) has 0 toughness to his game whereas Carkner always did

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Fischer was on the top pairing this year and last year. He was on the top PK unit since his sophmore year and he was at times on the 2nd PP unit, although his offensive game is poor.

Yeah, he was out of place on the top pairing, but he was there nonetheless. Too bad for Montreal, but it happens to every team sooner or later.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad