RD David Fischer - UFA (2006, 20th overall, Montreal)

CH Wizard

Somebody has seen him play here? I read somewhere that if he was in the chl, he'd be a top 15 pick for sure and habs wouldn't have had the chance to draft him.

His skating seems alright and what about his defensive game? His all around skills?

Will he receive lots of icetime in his freshman year, with the stacked gophers?

Last edited by a moderator:

turnbuckle*

the new name for this forum should be "idiots" cause it's crawling with 'em.

Russian_fanatic

Jan 19, 2004
You guys are really helping out TGO ;)

Anyways I really like Fischer, I believe when it's all said and done he's going to be a solid second pairing guy(#2/#3 defenseman). Fischer IMO is a future captain, IMO the fastest, and smoothest skating defenseman this draft. He is also one of the hardest working players you'll ever come by. He has very soft hands for a defenseman, and makes some plays look so easy. All in all Fischer is extremely skilled, and should pan out as a #3 defenseman who can jump in and play big minutes(could become a #2 defenseman on some teams). For comparision sake Fischer reminds me of a taller(way taller) Brian Rafalski. Fischer may be taller, but plays the smart game similiar to Rafalski. Should be a 40 point threat for a while. He can QB the PP, and be a future captain. Montreal got a good deal on Fischer(A steal IMO 2nd best defenseman in the draft). When I've watched this guy, he was amazing. Fischer has good size at 6-3 185 pounds.

Powdered Toast Man

Is he a ham?
Nov 22, 2005
Seriously though, Fischer was apparently a total ******* in his interviews with scouts, he totally tore apart his coaching in Apple Valley. This lead to one scout refering to him as "the idiot"

Spetzky

Jul 31, 2004
Edmonton
SenSk9tSen said:
Seriously though, Fischer was apparently a total ******* in his interviews with scouts, he totally tore apart his coaching in Apple Valley. This lead to one scout refering to him as "the idiot"

That all came from turnbuckle.

Fedz

Sponsor
Jul 18, 2003
Behind the Bench
franchise player said:
Nothing against the poster, but I don't put too much stock in what he said about that. David sounds like a nice guy.

I personally met David on two different occasions at the draft this upcoming weekend, as well as a few of my other friends who ran into him at the seperate times on the day.

Each and everytime he was a super nice guy, and I was intrigued enough to ask him about his school and his answer was that being in such a small school if it weren't for his coaching he wouldn't have been drafted where he was. He said his coaching staff and agent helped a lot.

Not an idiot.

Squeaky

Jul 8, 2004
Toronto
I've only heard two things about Fischers mental side. One is that he's an idiot, the other is that he's a future captain. Is it just me, or do those two not mix?

I think the important thing for right now is that most people agree that he plays a pretty smart game on the ice. If he interviewed poorly and dropped a little in the draft because of it, all the better. Just means Montreal got a guy with more potential than they should have.

Vinceee

Go Foreurs Go!
Apr 27, 2004
Amos, QC
Fedz said:
I personally met David on two different occasions at the draft this upcoming weekend, as well as a few of my other friends who ran into him at the seperate times on the day.

Each and everytime he was a super nice guy, and I was intrigued enough to ask him about his school and his answer was that being in such a small school if it weren't for his coaching he wouldn't have been drafted where he was. He said his coaching staff and agent helped a lot.

Not an idiot.

Exactly the opposite of what turnbuckle "reported"

V-2 Schneider

Mar 8, 2004
Russian_fanatic said:
You guys are really helping out TGO ;)

Anyways I really like Fischer, I believe when it's all said and done he's going to be a solid second pairing guy(#2/#3 defenseman). Fischer IMO is a future captain, IMO the fastest, and smoothest skating defenseman this draft. He is also one of the hardest working players you'll ever come by. He has very soft hands for a defenseman, and makes some plays look so easy. All in all Fischer is extremely skilled, and should pan out as a #3 defenseman who can jump in and play big minutes(could become a #2 defenseman on some teams). For comparision sake Fischer reminds me of a taller(way taller) Brian Rafalski. Fischer may be taller, but plays the smart game similiar to Rafalski. Should be a 40 point threat for a while. He can QB the PP, and be a future captain. Montreal got a good deal on Fischer(A steal IMO 2nd best defenseman in the draft). When I've watched this guy, he was amazing. Fischer has good size at 6-3 185 pounds.

If he possess all these attributes, why in heavens wouldn't he be a projected #1 D man? Rob Blake was drafted in the 3rd rd in 1988, and Lidstrom in the 3rd in '89.It wasn't possible for them to be #1's,was it? :shakehead

Who else short of Bobby orr or Denis potvin, can now possibly be thought of as a #1? What spot did Larry Robinson go in 1971? He went 20th.Did they think he was going to take over from Serge Savard?

Russian_fanatic

Jan 19, 2004
V-2 Schneider said:
If he possess all these attributes, why in heavens wouldn't he be a projected #1 D man? Rob Blake was drafted in the 3rd rd in 1988, and Lidstrom in the 3rd in '89.It wasn't possible for them to be #1's,was it? :shakehead

Who else short of Bobby orr or Denis potvin, can now possibly be thought of as a #1? What spot did Larry Robinson go in 1971? He went 20th.Did they think he was going to take over from Serge Savard?

Obviously he does those thing, but there isn't a thing that he does well(just alot of things he does average an stuff), thus him being a #2/#3 defenseman. I really like Fischer, believe me he's going to make alot of teams pay for passing him up.

V-2 Schneider

Mar 8, 2004
All that means he could easily be a #1 D man.He could be like an Eric Desjardins, or a Chelios.The litmus test for who can and cannot be a #1 has got beyond the reach of almost every D man today.

eddy

Jun 6, 2003
Visit site
I was not to happy when I found out my team drafted the so called 'idiot' of the draft. Though after doing some reading up on the guy what seperates him from most highly skilled players with bad attitudes (if he truely is an 'idiot'), is his attitude on the ice he works hard every night, plays physical, captain like character on top of a pretty impressive skill set. When I first heard he had attitude problems I thought oh no Ron Hainsey all over again but the difference between him and a guy like Hainsey is Hainsey had attitude problems off the ice and work ethic problems on the ice, so even IF Fishcer is an idiot off the ice as long as he keeps working hard game in and game out in the rink I don't see this whole bad attitude rep he's been given cause much of a problem in his development. I've also heard pretty opposite opinions of the guy some say he's a great guy and very nice and then there's the reports of him being an idiot, don't get me wrong I don't think this thing about him being an idiot has absolutly no negative effect but it is still up in the air whether he truly is or not, only time will tell.

turnbuckle*

eddy said:
I was not to happy when I found out my team drafted the so called 'idiot' of the draft. Though after doing some reading up on the guy what seperates him from most highly skilled players with bad attitudes (if he truely is an 'idiot'), is his attitude on the ice he works hard every night, plays physical, captain like character on top of a pretty impressive skill set. When I first heard he had attitude problems I thought oh no Ron Hainsey all over again but the difference between him and a guy like Hainsey is Hainsey had attitude problems off the ice and work ethic problems on the ice, so even IF Fishcer is an idiot off the ice as long as he keeps working hard game in and game out in the rink I don't see this whole bad attitude rep he's been given cause much of a problem in his development. I've also heard pretty opposite opinions of the guy some say he's a great guy and very nice and then there's the reports of him being an idiot, don't get me wrong I don't think this thing about him being an idiot has absolutly no negative effect but it is still up in the air whether he truly is or not, only time will tell.

If I were to report here that a scout said the sky is red and falling, would you take it as the gospel? Apparently so. Head for the hills!!

Some of you folks who are focussing on one scouts' comments about a stupid freeking interview have to take your heads out of your butts. Hearing things about a player and knowing the facts are two distinctly different things.

Rest assured I won't be passing on any controversial opinions on prospects around her in the future - too many of you are either too immature to absorb it or lack the logic to process it properly. I've seen the story on other boards, with comments like "All of the scouts said the same thing about him", and other incorrect assumptions.

For the last time; I will offer my opinion. The scouts' comments were as much a glimpse into how overreactionary the scouts can be as it is a basis for evaluating a prospect's presonality.

Some of us like to think we're great at reading people, but spending 10 minutes of a person's first 18 years on the planet hardly enables a scout the ability to give a full phsychological assessment on that person.

eddy

Jun 6, 2003
Visit site
turnbuckle said:
If I were to report here that a scout said the sky is red and falling, would you take it as the gospel? Apparently so. Head for the hills!!

Some of you folks who are focussing on one scouts' comments about a stupid freeking interview have to take your heads out of your butts. Hearing things about a player and knowing the facts are two distinctly different things.

Rest assured I won't be passing on any controversial opinions on prospects around her in the future - too many of you are either too immature to absorb it or lack the logic to process it properly. I've seen the story on other boards, with comments like "All of the scouts said the same thing about him", and other incorrect assumptions.

For the last time; I will offer my opinion. The scouts' comments were as much a glimpse into how overreactionary the scouts can be as it is a basis for evaluating a prospect's presonality.

Some of us like to think we're great at reading people, but spending 10 minutes of a person's first 18 years on the planet hardly enables a scout the ability to give a full phsychological assessment on that person.

Whoa! easy, why so harsh. In fewer words all I was trying to say was idiot or not I don't think it will affect this guys development and he's a good pick. Why such a long angry spiel sorry if I offended you in some way for making reference to some reports you made I'm glad you informed us of those but I don't see why your mad at wha tI posted.

USA!

Dec 26, 2004
I have seen David play this year and he is gonna be a very good D man in the NHL..He is a very very smart player he can score and play physical..On a side note the USNDT wanted to have him come in and play forward which i thought was kinda odd because he is a very strong D man..

inferno98

Mar 22, 2006
USA! said:
I have seen David play this year and he is gonna be a very good D man in the NHL..He is a very very smart player he can score and play physical..On a side note the USNDT wanted to have him come in and play forward which i thought was kinda odd because he is a very strong D man..

they were going to do the same thing with sanguinetti, it must be because they can score

Habnot

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I'm sorry turnbuckle but this is mainly your doing and now you are trying to minimize your comments. This is what you wrote:

"Heard lots of interesting stuff, including that Fischer is the biggest "idiot" of the draft. Mr. Fischer spent the majority of his combine interviews espousing his greatness and putting down his coaching - and I mean "really" putting down his coaching. This was not an isolated thing - Fischer managed to turn off pretty much every team he interviewed, and the scouts had a running joke going after awhile. One scout told me that he ran into a colleague partway through the interviews, and he said "Did you interview the idiot yet?" He asked who it was, and the fellow scout replied 'Oh, you'll know when you talk to him."

Where in this paragraph are you suggesting that it is one man's opinion. Your statement actually infers the opposite, that it is a common opinion amongst scouts. I agree, don't share information if it's not true.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
Fischer reminds me a lot of New Jersey defenceman Paul Martin. Fischer's a little bigger, but they both have very good skill sets which could one day equate No. 2 or 3 defenceman status. (Martin's well on his way to reaching that). Both won Minnesota's prestigious Mr. Hockey Award. Both had questions marks that stemmed from being drafted out of high school, which dinged their stock a bit, and scouts want to see how Fischer performs in college, which is what scouts said about Martin.

LWD

Apr 2, 2006
The only idiot on this board is turnbuckle. Eventually people will learn to ignore most of what he posts. Last year it was Latandrese who turnbuckle said was an inferior player with no potential, and where does he end up? Montreal, too funny!

GoneAway

LWD said:
The only idiot on this board is turnbuckle. Eventually people will learn to ignore most of what he posts. Last year it was Latandrese who turnbuckle said was an inferior player with no potential, and where does he end up? Montreal, too funny!

You are grossly exgerrating if you think turnbuckle is the only idiot on this board.

And on what do you base that statement? The fact that he shared an anectdote? Get off your high horse, please.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad