RD Anton Malyshev - Dynamo Moscow, KHL (2018 undrafted)

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Anton Malyshev is a very interesting case of a defenseman: he is rather mediocre in terms of size and skating, yet he has a lot of other assets: great defensive instincts, positioning, reliability, quite remarkable physycality for someone his size as he is a hard hitter and excellent at board battles; poke checking, decent right-handed shot and some leadership, as he is captaining Russia U18 NT and overall is a hard worker.

Ep link: Anton Malyshev

Not a lot of media of him available though, here is his goal from MHL play-offs:

Last edited:
Reactions: Tryamkin

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
Certainly the most dynamic Russian D on the ice tonight. I sure hope their better D-men are playing in the 4 nations tourney because Russia will be very boring to watch if their D are as ho-hum as they seemed tonight

Reactions: MatthewFlames

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
Certainly the most dynamic Russian D on the ice tonight. I sure hope their better D-men are playing in the 4 nations tourney because Russia will be very boring to watch if their D are as ho-hum as they seemed tonight

Yeah, in general, most of the best players are on 4-nations. I'm not sure why they did that.

MatthewFlames

Jul 21, 2003
'Murica

Rookie of the week in the KHL. Has passed through the draft twice but was part of the Russian WJC silver medalists last season. Performed well last season in his D+1 season, mostly in the VHL. Made the full-time KHL step up this season. Not surprised he hasn't been drafted, as his offensive tools are limited, but he has a solid transition game and could be a good free agent down the road as he continues to develop.

Hockeyprospect called him an "advanced player in the defensive-end with excellent defensive-awareness" in their 2018 Black Book (amongst other very positive comments, which you'll find there).

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
If he can show he can produce a little bit more, I can see a team taking him.

Otherwise, he may be a guy who ends up being a popular UFA at 23/24 similar to Zaitsev, Zub, etc. if he starts to really impress at that age. Similar goes for a Daniil Pylenkov or Danila Galenyuk.

It would make more sense to draft some of these guys in the later rounds than some of the other Russians that get taken and don't amount to much though. They may not be good enough to make the NHL, or be good enough to get more than a bottom pairing role in the NHL (which ultimately may make them choose to stay in the KHL full time instead), but I am sure teams would be more than happy to waste a few 7th round picks on those guys missing out than guys who often don't even make a pro league at all (and don't have more upside than these guys either). If even one of them turns into a Gavrikov-type player, then you have a major steal.

I had him on my board but then took him off. I'll keep tabs on him and the other 00' KHL defensemen available, because right now they are not as unknown as a bunch of other guys that will likely be available in the later rounds

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad