RD Adam Fox (2016, 66th, CGY; traded to CAR; traded to NYR)

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
It's crazy how people are really just discovering Adam Fox now. He had an insane 40 points in 35 games as a freshman defenseman. He could be a finalist for the Hobey Baker this year.

I watched him at the u18s for the first time, every game, and I was incredibly impressed. Didn't even take his college season. Looked like a steal in the making back to draft day. He looks exactly as good today as he did back at those u18s.

keppel146

Jun 4, 2010
MinneSOta
^ I don't get why this guy fell in the draft. I'm pretty sure everyone including myself said he was going to be a steal.

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
I don't know if they'll trade Hamilton, but I wouldn't be shocked if Fox is QB'ing the PP in 2 years ahead of him.

With Fox, Andersson, and Kylington, the Flames have some high potential offensive dmen. I think they could stand to add some more shut down style defenseman. The only way they should move Hamilton is if they can get back a top pairing shut down defenseman in the mold of Larsson / Slavin / Vlasic, or an elite scoring forward.

Hamilton and Fox both bring the same skill set while Hamonic is exactly the type of defenseman you describe at the end. That's why if Fox shows he's worth it, the Flames could choose to sell high on Hamilton, clearing cap space and/or acquiring a high end piece elsewhere on the roster.

Most likely they'll just move Stone in a year or two to convince Fox to sign.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
It's crazy how people are really just discovering Adam Fox now. He had an insane 40 points in 35 games as a freshman defenseman. He could be a finalist for the Hobey Baker this year.

Flames fans have been rather humble about him, (props to that) not to mention it's quite hard to follow college players because a lot of their main sites is quite hard to navigate. Harvard's site is not user friendly maybe it's me.

I don't get why this guy fell in the draft. I'm pretty sure everyone including myself said he was going to be a steal.

probably height issue.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
^ I don't get why this guy fell in the draft. I'm pretty sure everyone including myself said he was going to be a steal.
Doesn't possess the elite skating most teams want if they are going to draft a small defender high. That issue can really sour some teams on a kid and lead to a massive divide of opinion. He's a great gamble pick in the early 3rd though, considering the chances of landing anything that helps your NHL team for a sustained period of time is extremely minimal.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Doesn't possess the elite skating most teams want if they are going to draft a small defender high. That issue can really sour some teams on a kid and lead to a massive divide of opinion. He's a great gamble pick in the early 3rd though, considering the chances of landing anything that helps your NHL team for a sustained period of time is extremely minimal.

In my viewings of him skating isn't an issue at all. He's not Erik Karlsson but he skates easily as well as Ryan Ellis who would be a 2 or 3 for most teams.

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
In my viewings of him skating isn't an issue at all. He's not Erik Karlsson but he skates easily as well as Ryan Ellis who would be a 2 or 3 for most teams.

Agreed but let's keep in mind where Ryan Ellis was as a prospect. He broke the OHL D scoring record and put up some dominant numbers in major junior.

I like Fox and he's tracked very well for a 3rd rounder. The thing is scouts are so obsessed with size that it's generally a uphill battle for smaller players (exceptions being they are absolutely elite).

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
His skating to me has always stood in the category of: not something I'd point out as either strength or weakness. It's perfectly fine, but he doesn't make me feel the need to ever really talk about it one way or the other. It's his skill and immense feel for the game that jump out to me. His IQ more than covers any non-high end skating. And yes, he is not tall, but he is stocky as can be.

I'm sure him being a Harvard commit played a role in dropping too, as it may have been thought more likely he would be a 4 year/FA guy. Draft day I thought it was still iffy no one took a shot in the mid-late 2nd, but those were probably the reasons. And it was a pretty deep 2nd-3rd round to be fair. But his draft year production and game viewings spoke for themselves. And teams always love themselves a RD.

BackWithaVengeance

Jan 19, 2008
Germany
Really impressed by Fox.

Flames D will be awesome for a long time. Their rebuild took quite some years but it is progressing steadily and they draft very efficintly.

Congratulations.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I didn't say it was a weakness, but teams tend to avoid taking sub-6 foot defenders high unless they are elite skaters. Ryan Ellis, went fairly high but also had a really ridiculous track record to fall back on with his OHL and being a 17-year-old contributor on a WJC team.

Not saying it's the right decision, just saying that it probably contributed to him not getting drafted in the first 40 or so.

docbenton

Dec 6, 2014
I think both Fox and Valimaki are awesome. I had Fox as a 1st rounder in his draft year and Valimaki as a top 10 pick, latter reminds me a lot of Suter or Ekholm, both #1 guys in my mind. Kylington and Andersson, I'm much less convinced by, but the first 2 will be very good players for a long time.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I think both Fox and Valimaki are awesome. I had Fox as a 1st rounder in his draft year and Valimaki as a top 10 pick, latter reminds me a lot of Suter or Ekholm, both #1 guys in my mind. Kylington and Andersson, I'm much less convinced by, but the first 2 will be very good players for a long time.

Agreed. Good potential for top pairing guys.... depth is great and those guys will pass Kylington and Andersson .. sucks for them.

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
Calgary's defense will be absolutely sick in a few years
Gio-Hamilton
Brodie-Hamonic
Valimaki-Stone
Kylington-Fox
Kulak-Andersson

Obviously some guys will get moved and Gio will age but I'm extremely jealous as a Rangers fan. Could be the best defense in the league soon, already among the best. And if Sam Bennett finally takes a step forward they would be filthy

Calgareee

Jun 29, 2015

I agree with the questions around Kylington. He has some amazing tools and is one of the best skaters I've ever seen. But he continues to make a least a couple bone headed plays in his own zone every game. If he can't eliminate those I'm not convinced he'll make the jump.

I'm curious about what your questions are about Andersson are though. I think he will be an NHL player for sure. He is so poised and makes the smart play. He had one of the better seasons for an under 20 D in the AHL and was the #1 D on a playoff team.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Its primarily given out to to Juniors and seniors. They always get priority in selection and nomination.

Make a list of U21 Hobey winners. You'll be surprised how exclusive a list it is. Ryan Miller. Johnny Gaudreau. Jack Eichel.

You're correct that the Hobey is usually awarded to 23/24 year old seniors. But when it gets awarded to U21s those guys go on to become stars.

Kaners PPGs

Jun 2, 2012
Chicagoland (Tinley Park)
Because of Calgary's depth, Fox has incentive to complete his degree and sign with whoever he wants. I imagine playing in western Canada in not very attractive to Fox either. A Harvard degree is worth sticking around for.

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
I agree with the questions around Kylington. He has some amazing tools and is one of the best skaters I've ever seen. But he continues to make a least a couple bone headed plays in his own zone every game. If he can't eliminate those I'm not convinced he'll make the jump.

So, he essentially has to be perfect to make the jump? That's a ridiculous double standard when guys like Wideman, Bartkowski, hell, even Giordano, Brodie and Hamilton still make their fair share or more of mistakes each game.

Kylington's is developing nicely and getting better each season. That's all you can really ask for. Honestly, it seems like fans are unable to comprehend that he only turned 20 a few months ago and that his two AHL seasons came at the ages of 18 and 19. He could easily spend two more years developing; there should be no rush to make a judgement now.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
So, he essentially has to be perfect to make the jump? That's a ridiculous double standard when guys like Wideman, Bartkowski, hell, even Giordano, Brodie and Hamilton still make their fair share or more of mistakes each game.

Kylington's is developing nicely and getting better each season. That's all you can really ask for. Honestly, it seems like fans are unable to comprehend that he only turned 20 a few months ago and that his two AHL seasons came at the ages of 18 and 19. He could easily spend two more years developing; there should be no rush to make a judgement now.

If he had 5-10 more lbs on his legs, Kylington could make the jump right now. Reports of his poor decision making are based on small sample sizes and confirmation bias.

For Fox it is not that he is a bad skater but I think at his size he will really need to become a plus skater to dodge NHL forechecking pressure. There is just no time and space when Blake Wheeler is coming at you from one side and Nikolaj Ehlers from the other and Mark Scheifele is there waiting for he mistake. Offensively I have no doubt Fox will be an NHL point producer with minutes, but he has to earn those minutes

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad