RD Adam Fox (2016, 66th, CGY; traded to CAR; traded to NYR)

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
1. He's an Isles fan.
2. There's absolutely no way he stays in college for another 3 years.

he goes to Harvard... IMO there is a WAY better chance he stays rather than leaves early.

Hes only 19 years old and going into his second year. He wont be cracking that Flames lineup for a few years anyways so why not stick around and sign his contract when he is 21 and potentially jump right into the lineup. If he keeps excelling during those years, he can have Flames(or whatever team) management guarantee him a roster spot without ever setting foot in AHL(if that's what he prefers)

I wouldn't expect him to leave anytime soon

Last edited:

L13

Oct 1, 2015
he goes to Harvard... IMO there is a WAY better chance he stays rather than leaves early.

Hes only 19 years old and going into his second year. He wont be cracking that Flames lineup for a few years anyways so why not stick around and sign his contract when he is 21 and potentially jump right into the lineup. If he keeps excelling during those years, he can have Flames(or whatever team) management guarantee him a roster spot without ever setting foot in AHL(if that's what he prefers)

I wouldn't expect him to leave anytime soon

Okay, let me break it down. Fox may (not necessarily will, but definitely may) win the Hobey Baker next season as a sophomore. He won't stay in college for long simply because he will run out of things to do in the NCAA. Players that good don't stick around until free agency.

He WILL be good enough to play for the Flames before he's a senior. Lots of Flames fans don't think that right now, and the Flames' front office may only have realised it very recently, but someone will get traded to make room for him within the next year or the year after at the very latest.

The Flames allegedly weren't willing to trade him (plus picks, of course) for Hamonic, so they know how valuable he is and will probably be pressuring him to sign next offseason. Quite likely with promises of an NHL roster spot, as you say, especially if he goes to the Olympics and shines there.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Okay, let me break it down. Fox may (not necessarily will, but definitely may) win the Hobey Baker next season as a sophomore. He won't stay in college for long simply because he will run out of things to do in the NCAA. Players that good don't stick around until free agency.

He WILL be good enough to play for the Flames before he's a senior. Lots of Flames fans don't think that right now, and the Flames' front office may only have realised it very recently, but someone will get traded to make room for him within the next year or the year after at the very latest.

The Flames allegedly weren't willing to trade him (plus picks, of course) for Hamonic, so they know how valuable he is and will probably be pressuring him to sign next offseason. Quite likely with promises of an NHL roster spot, as you say, especially if he goes to the Olympics and shines there.

Time will tell... He will be there atleast 3 seasons anyways(i still say he will stay all 4 but maybe he leaves after 3 years) so who really knows what his future will hold. Hes a good player but isnt NHL ready yet. He still needs to work on aspects of his game and get stronger. He will only be 21 if he stays all 4 years and grads at Harvard so its not like hes gonna be older like how Vesey was... Who knows what will happen but i still guarentee we wont be seeing him sign anytime soon

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
I expect him to play another year or two of college. Just can't see him spending four years there. He's already dominated this level.

Jul 19, 2017
I think everyone's forgetting that he can sign after three years and finish his last few classes over the summer like Johnny did. Doubt this kid stays for a third year tho.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
There is a good chance he doesn't sign with Calgary imo. There is a logjam on D and it might make more sense to have a more guaranteed situation for him to succeed in. Calgary has a snake pit of defensive prospects all trying to take a few remaining spots. Hopefully Conroy can work his magic and get it done, even if we have to trade one of our top 5 to make room for him. At this juncture though it would probably be better for his career to go the Free Agent loophole route.

Last edited:

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I think everyone's forgetting that he can sign after three years and finish his last few classes over the summer like Johnny did. Doubt this kid stays for a third year tho.

I don't think anyone is forgetting that. If he stays 3 at Harvard he likely stays 4 imo. That does not mean he won't sign with Calgary. If Calgary's blue line has no realistic NHL spots he may look elsewhere.

L13

Oct 1, 2015

Harvard doesn't do summer school for jocks like BC and other universities. It's far less accommodating the athlete side of the student-athlete equation (and also just doesn't tolerate students delaying their graduation or deviating from the four-year plan, hence the lack of academic flexibility).

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Harvard doesn't do summer school for jocks like BC and other universities. It's far less accommodating the athlete side of the student-athlete equation (and also just doesn't tolerate students delaying their graduation or deviating from the four-year plan, hence the lack of academic flexibility).

Huh?

"Summer school for jocks" is a nonsense negative connotation. Harvard has a summer session just like any other school, which enrolled students, including athletes, can attend to advance their degree progress and whatnot. Never heard of a kid staying in college to take courses for the summer? It's not remedial school. Many of these athletes are there for the summer anyway.

All schools encourage students to graduate in 4 years. There's no draconian measure for not; it's your money. A simple google search shows that 86% graduate in 4 years (98% in 6 years). That's definitely not higher, nor much lower, than any other top schools (including BC, which is 90% for 4 years). I doubt he's winging it, so he probably has a plan. If he wants to graduate in 3 years, he could have already done summer sessions and met his graduation requirement, or indeed stay for his last summer. It's possible he already had some college credits upon entering. And if he had to take a leave of absence and wanted to finish his degree perhaps the following summer too, if need be, it could be done. It has nothing to do with academic flexibility for athletes. Any student can do this, if they're in good standing. I doubt Fox is winging this if he wants to get his degree. Point is: if he wants to leave school either after his junior year, or hell, even after his sophomore year (though that's more demanding with needed coursework), it's doable. There's even a process to go through if you want to return after 5 years to finish up, though that's a little more involved, but I doubt they'd not re-admit a former Crimson star/NHLer.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Hopefully he pulls a Vesey and finishes his Harvard degree. Would be the most hyped up ****show for a college UFA since Schultz, maybe longer

Why would you "hope" for that? Players may have a right to complete their college careers and education but when they use that as a tool to bypass their draft just hurts less gaudy markets like Nashville/Anaheim/Calgary who rely on the draft to build their teams.

That CBA rule should be amended to allow at least add one more year of reserve list eligibility. If a player really doesn't want to sign with the NHL team that drafted them they should have to spend a year in Europe after their senior year before becoming an NHL free agent. The NCAA eligibility being lost after signing makes it impossible for teams to encourage players completing four years of college, even if that is a personal goal of the player.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Solid pick up by the Flames at #66. Always good to gamble on skill.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Such an elite package of vision, skill, and composure. He and Harper were dominant running the US power play.

He's going to be doing the same thing with Johnny Gaudreau soon. What a fun defenseman to watch.

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
If Fox continues to progress, Treliving will trade Hamilton or Stone in a year or two to make room for this kid. They'll send Conroy and jet to make sure he signs.

Reinhart

Jun 13, 2011
Yeah, there is no way Hamilton is going to be traded.

Stone and Hamonic are both signed for 3 years. I would expect one of them to be moved if the plan is to get Fox in, and not Hamilton.

Fox is looking good. I had my doubts about this kid, but he is starting to look better and better as a defencemen. Way better in his own zone in less than 12 months - that's progression!

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
If Fox continues to progress, Treliving will trade Hamilton or Stone in a year or two to make room for this kid. They'll send Conroy and jet to make sure he signs.

I don't know if they'll trade Hamilton, but I wouldn't be shocked if Fox is QB'ing the PP in 2 years ahead of him.

With Fox, Andersson, and Kylington, the Flames have some high potential offensive dmen. I think they could stand to add some more shut down style defenseman. The only way they should move Hamilton is if they can get back a top pairing shut down defenseman in the mold of Larsson / Slavin / Vlasic, or an elite scoring forward.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I think Hamilton could be moved if they were targeting a big fish up front (ie. Wheeler). But honestly I don't see it, I expect Stone to be dealt next season to make room for Andersson. And I think Valimaki will force either Gio or Brodie to be dealt the season after.

Fox is coming though and he's coming fast. This kid is such a talent.

Haatley

haatley
Jun 9, 2011
Toronto
Lol at anyone suggesting qe break up our top 4 to bring Fox up. Way too premature for that. Perhaps he and Valimaki form our bottom pairing as young players in a couple years,but not at the expense of Hamilton lmao.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
It's crazy how people are really just discovering Adam Fox now. He had an insane 40 points in 35 games as a freshman defenseman. He could be a finalist for the Hobey Baker this year.

Most Flames fans have been well aware of him since he was drafted and he's continued to trend up at an impressive rate ever since. The hockey world is acknowledging him now.

Jul 19, 2017
Accounting for the most reasonable scenario:

Established:

Gio - Hamilton
Brodie - Hamonic
Kulak - Stone

Prospects:

Valimaki - Andersson
Kylington - Fox
Ollas Mattsson
Wotherspoon
Healy

I bolded established guys that I could see being traded to make room for our prospects. Hamonic is a wildcard but trading him should certainly be looked at in his final year. This year, we should look to play 7D and rotate Stone and Andersson. If Kulak proves to be dependable, trade Stone for picks. If Andersson proves to be dependable, trade Stone in his second year. Stone's second year is also when Fox should make the jump, so roll 7D once again.

While I don't see Valimaki playing in the AHL, the number of available spots might force our hand. If he can make the immediate jump to the NHL, trade Kulak to make room. Else, get him some games in the AHL and make him the first call-up for injuries and see how he does.

Also, I like Ollas Mattsson and see him being too good and physical to not play. Reminds me a lot of Brandon Carlo. No idea how he would fit in tho.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad