RD Adam Fox (2016, 66th, CGY; traded to CAR; traded to NYR)

L13

Oct 1, 2015
Personally hope that he keeps it at 3 years and finishes like Johnny in the summer and offseason. I would be rather nervous if he did the full 4. :help:

If he went back for his senior year, the Flames should just ask him whom he wanted to play for and try to trade him to that team because he'd be opting for free agency.

I was pretty confident Janko would sign with the Flames after his senior year, but Fox doesn't have any of the reasons to sign with the Flames as a free agent that Janko did. He's an American East Coast kid, looks like he'll generate a lot of interest on the free agent market if his development stays on track and has no reason to feel particularly appreciated by the Flames for where he was picked.

Fortunately for the Flames, I think he'll outgrow college hockey completely by the end of his sophomore or junior year and will sign with them then.

Last edited:

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Does anyone know who he was a fan of growing up? I'd assume Rangers or Isles, given where he grew up.

I think this kid will be a four year college player. Not close to NHL ready, Harvard, American kid drafted by a Canadian team. Maybe I am wrong, but I think he's a lot more likely to be a four year player who goes to free agency than some of the other best prospects in college hockey.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
25 points in 21 games. Nominated for the Hobey Baker. Not bad for an freshmen NCAA D-man

Last edited:

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Wonder what the chances are he signs with us early. I feel like he'd make an immediate impact at least in the AHL.

Watching him at the WJC, he needs to work on his D and specifically his backwards skating needs to improve. No need to rush him. Keep him playing big minutes in the NCAA, be a big piece on the WJC squad next year.

Backlund

Dec 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
If he went back for his senior year, the Flames should just ask him whom he wanted to play for and try to trade him to that team because he'd be opting for free agency.

I was pretty confident Janko would sign with the Flames after his senior year, but Fox doesn't have any of the reasons to sign with the Flames as a free agent that Janko did. He's an American East Coast kid, looks like he'll generate a lot of interest on the free agent market if his development stays on track and has no reason to feel particularly appreciated by the Flames for where he was picked.

Fortunately for the Flames, I think he'll outgrow college hockey completely by the end of his sophomore or junior year and will sign with them then.

Calgary didn't sign Jankowski as a free agent, we still had his rights when he signed with us.

Fox doesn't have any reason to not sign with us. It's not that common for college players to not sign with the teams that drafted them. I'm not sure why everyone always thinks college players are gonna stay 4 years to go sign with whoever they want. A majority of these players are willing to stay with the teams that drafted them because they drafted them. Unless something happens between him and the Flames management I expect him to sign with us when he is finished with school.

L13

Oct 1, 2015
Calgary didn't sign Jankowski as a free agent, we still had his rights when he signed with us.

Yes, for 3 more months. My point was that Janko chose to sign with the Flames instead of going to free agency, which he could have easily done, as Treliving also acknowledged when talking about the contract negotiations after the fact. Janko was effectively a free agent signing since he didn't even get any of the benefits of signing with the team that drafted you after senior year (e.g. he didn't burn a year off his ELC).

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
Sign him after his 3rd year.

No reason to rush him and no reason to be scared of him leaving in 3 years.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
how did he do? didn't get a chance to see the game.

Typical game from Fox. Had two points. Could have had more. Still a pretty poor skater at this point.

Brandon Hickey showed why he was on team Canada's top pair last year. He was a beast (BUs #1D over McCavoy). But he got hurt really bad it looked like in the second period and BU got demolished after that. No wonder Flames management and Team Canada have been so high on this guy. I see it now. Hopefully that injury isn't a step back. One of the best prospects in the NHL no one talks about because he's not an offensive guy.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
Typical game from Fox. Had two points. Could have had more. Still a pretty poor skater at this point.

Brandon Hickey showed why he was on team Canada's top pair last year. He was a beast (BUs #1D over McCavoy). But he got hurt really bad it looked like in the second period and BU got demolished after that. No wonder Flames management and Team Canada have been so high on this guy. I see it now. Hopefully that injury isn't a step back. One of the best prospects in the NHL no one talks about because he's not an offensive guy.

I've seen a few people put him over Kylington.

Short Side High

Jul 11, 2006
how did he do? didn't get a chance to see the game.

Clayton Keller was mic'd up, and after he scored a goal on sweet tip in front, the broadcast showed that he had said to his teammates before the play something like "I'm going to go to the net here, Foxy won't play defense on me". And sure enough he was left pretty much alone to tip the puck in. Pretty funny moment. It seems Keller doesn't think super-highly of Fox's defensive effort/positioning from their USNTDP days together.

monsieurthibz

Oct 8, 2016
Montreal
Clayton Keller was mic'd up, and after he scored a goal on sweet tip in front, the broadcast showed that he had said to his teammates before the play something like "I'm going to go to the net here, Foxy won't play defense on me". And sure enough he was left pretty much alone to tip the puck in. Pretty funny moment. It seems Keller doesn't think super-highly of Fox's defensive effort/positioning from their USNTDP days together.
That's hilarious. I hope we'll get the chance to see that clip :p

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012

To be fair Clayton Keller was pretty invisible all night. Fox definitely has to work on his defensive game though.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Fox leads ALL freshman in the nation in assists and third among all NCAA dmen in scoring. And that's playing in the ECAC.

He's 12th in NCAA overall scoring. As a freshman defenseman. Gotta dig into the books to see how close he is to setting some records.

The ECAC sucks.

Over half the teams are below .500 and I think only 3 are ranked.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad