RD Adam Fox (2016, 66th, CGY; traded to CAR; traded to NYR)

Kaners PPGs

Jun 2, 2012
Chicagoland (Tinley Park)
He won't sniff the NHL for 2, probably 3 years.

How big is your bench haha

Haha??

Our rosters are 50-deep and drafted picks don't count until they sign their ELC. I hope he stays at Harvard another season before signing a with the Flames. For a 5th round pick in our entry pick (50-something), it is looking to be a great pick.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
I am happy for him, but he was the goat on the first two goals against with a bad read and a panicky clear. Also didn't do much to get his first assist, very pedestrian play.

Next year I expect more from him, his offensive game is very good.

Ya honestly I wasn't too too impressed by him in the finals. Sure he got 3 assists which was huge but IMO he has a lot of work to do before hes pro ready

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
My impression of him from the WJC's is an excellent passer and skater, but has many very weak areas including his defending, strength, and shot. Those are the areas he's going to need to improve a lot on if he wants to be an impact NHL player, but I was very impressed with his vision and how well he moves the puck.

Calgareee

Jun 29, 2015
My impression of him from the WJC's is an excellent passer and skater, but has many very weak areas including his defending, strength, and shot. Those are the areas he's going to need to improve a lot on if he wants to be an impact NHL player, but I was very impressed with his vision and how well he moves the puck.

Agreed. After a bad start yesterday he settled down a bit and have to say that his third assist was one of the slickest assists I saw the whole tourney. The shot/pass to White was incredible. Definitely showed off his vision with that one.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I am happy for him, but he was the goat on the first two goals against with a bad read and a panicky clear. Also didn't do much to get his first assist, very pedestrian play.

Next year I expect more from him, his offensive game is very good.

Have to remember he's still eligible next year... which is really impressive considering the tournament he had as an 18 year old.

High IQ PMD with some great offensive instinct... sign me up.

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009
Decent prospect, but the Flames have a lot of D prospects right now with Andersson, Kylington, Kulak, Hickey and Wotherspoon.

Brodie and Hamilton also likely aren't going anywhere soon, so I don't think they'd be looking to rush Fox at all.

Daneurism

Nov 13, 2010
Though Mcavoy was very good, but thought most of the other american d men struggled with the canadian forecheck

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
Though Mcavoy was very good, but thought most of the other american d men struggled with the canadian forecheck

Fox just got out high school hockey. He was in over his head.

Hoping for a big step forward next year with an year of NCAA behind him.

Reactions: QJL

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
Fox just got out high school hockey. He was in over his head.

Hoping for a big step forward next year with an year of NCAA behind him.

He was in the USHL the past two seasons along with Keller, Bellows, Lindgren, Anderson and Laczynski to name a few.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary

The Swedes, Czechs, Russian D all had issues with the Canadian forecheck (Particularily the Cirelli/Dube and Roy lines). Generally this aspect doesn't develop until the AHL.

I am more interested in seeing Fox improve his first three steps and top speed, while he's a smooth skater he struggles to carry the puck out of danger or even just recover on the rush. But he is only 18 so i am not worried.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
The Swedes, Czechs, Russian D all had issues with the Canadian forecheck (Particularily the Cirelli/Dube and Roy lines). Generally this aspect doesn't develop until the AHL.

I am more interested in seeing Fox improve his first three steps and top speed, while he's a smooth skater he struggles to carry the puck out of danger or even just recover on the rush. But he is only 18 so i am not worried.

Thats true, his explosiveness in his skating does also need work. Especially for a smaller guy its crucial that you can slip away from guys on the forecheck or open up lanes for yourself.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
He was in the USHL the past two seasons along with Keller, Bellows, Lindgren, Anderson and Laczynski to name a few.

Huh, must have my wires crossed. Now I'm not sure of what prospect I was thinking about haha.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011

I think that applies in both directions. The D for both teams were really lacklustre when dealing with opposing forwards (exceptions of McAvoy and Chabot).

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
Werenski stunk his first WJC and dominated the next. Granted it was D-1 to D+1, but this year every USA dman had multiple brain farts all tourney long. There were periods when the Lingren-Fox pair were the most consistent.

Fox is pure offence, on par with Bean. Bean is worse defensively but has the better shot. Any way you slice it, Fox stepped up with 3 assists in a gold medal game, the latter being a perfect set up for the tying goal. There was a play in the prelims when Fox displayed outstanding footwork and a tight gap against Hischier. The kid is a very smart player but he needs to get stronger without leaking footspeed.

Flames got him cheap.

suddeninterest

Aug 19, 2014
Looked good on the pp, was pretty bad defensively overall, especially when the other team had possession and cycle going. Very similar to Bean in that they are both high offensive IQ guys who have a long way to go before they are ready for the pros. Remember the rest of the American D were heavily sheltered 5v5 and pk by Jones and McAvoy especially against the top teams. You can't just be a ppqb anymore at the pro level so have to hope the defense can develop I guess. Pretty good value pick for the Flames considering imo he's just as good as Bean. Although that being said I think Bean is brutal so take that how you will.

L13

Oct 1, 2015
Two assists in his return to Harvard's lineup yesterday, which was his third game in three days, for 18 points in 12 games this season.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I don't think he's that bad defensively. Maybe he didn't play well defensively at the WJC's, but he was young for the tournament.

As he gets stronger, I think he'll be able to play average NHL defense, but I do think he's a 3 or 4 year college player. I definitely don't think he'll be ready next year, and maybe not the season after that.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
I don't think he's that bad defensively. Maybe he didn't play well defensively at the WJC's, but he was young for the tournament.

As he gets stronger, I think he'll be able to play average NHL defense, but I do think he's a 3 or 4 year college player. I definitely don't think he'll be ready next year, and maybe not the season after that.

ya I always just assume any prospect from NCAA playing at Harvard will stick around the full 4 years and get that Harvard degree.

now THAT is a massive accomplishment IMO

Calgareee

Jun 29, 2015
ya I always just assume any prospect from NCAA playing at Harvard will stick around the full 4 years and get that Harvard degree.

now THAT is a massive accomplishment IMO

Personally hope that he keeps it at 3 years and finishes like Johnny in the summer and offseason. I would be rather nervous if he did the full 4. :help:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad