RD Adam Fox (2016, 66th, CGY; traded to CAR; traded to NYR)

puckfan13

Jan 18, 2010
His footwork and poise with the puck in dangerous situations is excellent, he always buys himself extra time. However, at the end of the day, how many 5'10" defensemen are in the NHL? Love his skill though, hope he is able to find a way...

Reactions: QJL

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
His footwork and poise with the puck in dangerous situations is excellent, he always buys himself extra time. However, at the end of the day, how many 5'10" defensemen are in the NHL? Love his skill though, hope he is able to find a way...

For fun, here's the list of D-men 5'10" or shorter in the NHL:

Anaheim
Sami Vatanen (5'10")

Boston
Torey Krug (5'9")
John-Michael Liles (5'10")

Colorado
Tyson Barrie (5'10")

Dallas
Kris Russell (5'10")

Florida
Brian Campbell (5'10")

Minnesota
Jared Spurgeon (5'9")

Nashville
Ryan Ellis (5'10")

New Jersey
David Warsofsky (5'9")

Ottawa
Chris Wideman (5'10")

Tampa Bay
Matt Taormina (5'10")

Vancouver
Alex Biega (5'10")

Winnipeg
Toby Enstrom (5'10")

hockey38

Jun 16, 2014
I asked a while ago and no one replied so I will ask again:

How does Fox compare to Gostisbehere ?

Similar size, both deadly on the PP.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
I asked a while ago and no one replied so I will ask again:

How does Fox compare to Gostisbehere ?

Similar size, both deadly on the PP.

Gostisbehere is a much better skater, but I can hardly remember what he looked like as a draft eligible (if I ever knew). At his size, Fox has a lot of work to put into his feet in my opinion.

DonskoiDonscored

Oct 12, 2013
Gostisbehere is a much better skater, but I can hardly remember what he looked like as a draft eligible (if I ever knew). At his size, Fox has a lot of work to put into his feet in my opinion.

I also think that Ghost is much more decisive in transition and has way more confidence in himself defensively.

And yes, while Fox can absolutely fly out there at times he's going to get destroyed with open ice hits/board play unless he becomes quicker and more nimble. His breakout game revolves around rushing the puck and he will have neither the time nor space to do that as easily at the professional level. He's like Houdini at the moment though, he can escape from any pressure using his smarts, creativity, puck handling, and edge work....

He's a smart kid though, he'll adapt. I'm sure a reason why he rushes it/breaks it out so often is because his defensive partner (J.D. Greenway) has absolutely no confidence to do it himself.

docbenton

Dec 6, 2014
I also think that Ghost is much more decisive in transition and has way more confidence in himself defensively.

And yes, while Fox can absolutely fly out there at times he's going to get destroyed with open ice hits/board play unless he becomes quicker and more nimble. His breakout game revolves around rushing the puck and he will have neither the time nor space to do that as easily at the professional level. He's like Houdini at the moment though, he can escape from any pressure using his smarts, creativity, puck handling, and edge work....

He's a smart kid though, he'll adapt. I'm sure a reason why he rushes it/breaks it out so often is because his defensive partner (J.D. Greenway) has absolutely no confidence to do it himself.

I think the most obvious difference is Ghost has a harder shot...

I still remember watching USNDTP for Keller, Bellows and Krys and just kept noticing #8 because he was the best player on the ice.

hockey38

Jun 16, 2014
For fun, here's the list of D-men 5'10" or shorter in the NHL:

Anaheim
Sami Vatanen (5'10")

Boston
Torey Krug (5'9")
John-Michael Liles (5'10")

Colorado
Tyson Barrie (5'10")

Dallas
Kris Russell (5'10")

Florida
Brian Campbell (5'10")

Minnesota
Jared Spurgeon (5'9")

Nashville
Ryan Ellis (5'10")

New Jersey
David Warsofsky (5'9")

Ottawa
Chris Wideman (5'10")

Tampa Bay
Matt Taormina (5'10")

Vancouver
Alex Biega (5'10")

Winnipeg
Toby Enstrom (5'10")

Might have to put Fox in the 5'11" group if you round up (from the hockeywriters)

Adam Fox (50th NA): Listed: 5-foot-10, 185 lbs Combine: 5-foot-10.75, 185 lbs

DonskoiDonscored

Oct 12, 2013
8 points in 7 games to start his freshmen season

Yep. Offensive game was never in doubt. All about the adjustment physically.

I really can't see him in college past his sophomore year.

He's still my favorite player to watch. So damn confident with the puck and his puck moving/playmaking skills are incredible.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Honest question: How will Adam Fox succeed in a league where a player like Ryan Murphy has (so far) failed?
It is all up to the individual, players built like Murphy can succeed. For example look at Vatanen or Torey Krug.

DonskoiDonscored

Oct 12, 2013
Honest question: How will Adam Fox succeed in a league where a player like Ryan Murphy has (so far) failed?

There are plenty of examples of diminutive (by hockeys standards) offensive defensemen that succeed or fail in the NHL.

Adapting to the professional game is a challenge for every smaller player, but it's not insurmountable.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Fox was given a lot of love by our scouting staff/GM who all praised his IQ and skill. If there are two things that can make up giving up 3-4 inches and 15 lbs; it's those two things.

Also being put in a position to succeed helps. I look forward to his sophomore season to see how he continues to trend,

BDizzle*

Jul 7, 2010
Ontario

I am by no means a professional scout (obviously), but I was very shocked to see Ryan Murphy selected so high. I have watched around 35 games of his in junior (pre-draft) and I do admit he had "game-breaking" tendencies, but at the same time he had so many defensive gaffs and seemed to bobble the puck and miss passes far to frequently for my liking.

All (pre-draft) season long Kitchener fans were saying he is a potential top 10 pick, and I asssumed the scouts must have been amazed by those game-breaking rushes that he attempted quite often. When he was on his game he could change a junior game. Perhaps they thought the other things could be taught and ironed out. But in my viewing due to his defensive gaffsm, it just seemed to high of a gamble for someone who can have one or two nice rushes a game.

Joe Zanussi

Jul 15, 2011
I love Fox. He has an uphill battle, for sure, cuz of his size. But he was so good in the U18's and has been really good for Harvard. I'm in his camp.

Of course, I loved Murphy too.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
11 points in 9 games. Sheesh. Has a freshmen D ever had a start like this before? I know scoring is up in college but oh my lord.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
11 points in 9 games. Sheesh. Has a freshmen D ever had a start like this before? I know scoring is up in college but oh my lord.
There was this kid named Brian Leetch once who put up 47 points in 37 games. So I would guess he had a comparable start. Werenski was a ppg guy at the same age but was in Sophomore year because he accelerated his schooling. Weircioth was just off a point-per-game pace as a frosh.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Looks like an excellent pick so far. It'll be fun watching Fox's developmental curve.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad