Upgrade your account today to enjoy the forums ad-free.
Click here to upgrade: Account Upgrades

RD Adam Fox - Harvard, NCAA (2016, 66th, CGY)

Discussion in 'NHL Draft - Prospects' started by FIlove Zadina, Feb 9, 2016.

1. tooji

tooji Registered User

While that is your opinion and I respect it, most people are of the opinion that having a Harvard degree pretty much sets you up for life after hockey. Most playing careers are done by the time the player has turned 30.

2. NA Scouting

NA Scouting Registered User

How soon we forget the legendary Louis Leblanc.

3. Deen

Deen Registered User

The guy who retired prematurely?

4. AmericanDream

AmericanDream Adopted Canadian

with Fox being a RD, the world is his oyster!!!

5. MichaelFarrell

MichaelFarrell Registered User

If Fox signed with Calgary at the end of Harvard's season, would he be higher on the depth chart than Ramus Andersson?

6. Flamesfan62

Flamesfan62 Registered User

High School student
    No

7. mikeyp24

mikeyp24 Registered User

If you go to Harvard for hockey the best thing you can do for yourself is graduate. The money you make I'm the AHL that year early or 1 year of bottom pair play isn't worth a Harvard degree no matter how obscure that degree is. It's one of the top sought after universities in the country. He is best left graduating and testing free agency but hopefully he would choose Calgary because I hate that loophole. But leaving Harvard early when pro athlete careers on average are so short (not stars but your average player). It is worth 3 years of NHL money because that degree pays for life 30 years after play.

8. Sens of Anarchy

Sens of Anarchy Registered User

NHL has to do something about drafted NCAA players .. staying in school and then becoming UFAs. Some kind of compensation, or have the NCAA player be an RFA instead of a UFA

mikeyp24 likes this.
  9. mikeyp24

mikeyp24 Registered User

Honestly I don't think for the most part NHL teams have to worry much about it except ivy league guys but as of late the 4 year thing has cost teams some good players Vessey and Butcher was the same deal. I guess sometimes teams don't treat the guy right and don't sign him or underestimate him and when he breaks out you act like you believed in him the whole team I don't blame your ass then haha.

So I feel there should be some type of rule change. After 2 years you offer a contract/a option that the kid and team both want to stay together and develop in that system 2 more years or you can option to not keep the kid and he re-enters the draft. If you offer contract and he declines you get a pick at the start of whatever round he was drafted in UNLESS it was first round in which case if he was top 15 you get the first non lotto pick and if he was last 16 you get a conditional end of the round pick. If you keep him and he wants to leave somewhere free agency after 4 year it's an offersheet. It gives the team a fair chance to keep players and a chance for players to stay with the team, redraft, or the offer sheets.

10. Maukkis

Maukkis PK's Sobbin'

Do you have a Harvard degree?

Besides, you are oversimplifying this. Fox is not guaranteed to make millions during his career, nor is it so simple to just go back to Harvard.

I know this is a touchy subject for Flames fans, but the possibility of Fox going UFA is there, and it should be considered. However, keep in mind that nothing prevents him from graduating and then signing with the Flames.