RD Adam Fox (2016, 66th, CGY; traded to CAR; traded to NYR)

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Bwahahahahahahahaha

You must be joking?

As for Fox he gets walked around way too easily by junior players to be anything more than a sheltered 3rd line PP QB at this point and his skating is so weak it will be interesting to see if he can improve that.

I would like to see the Flames shop him and see what they can get as his stock seems sky high right now (although GMs might have a different view than fans.)
Adam Fox would be the best puck moving defenseman on the Flames right now.
And you want to trade him?

Its become apparent that you only like low IQ, one dimensional Canadian players. Must kill you that the Flames top scorer is an American LOLZZZ.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017

Its become apparent that you only like low IQ, one dimensional Canadian players. Must kill you that the Flames top scorer is an American LOLZZZ.

No he wouldn't

And nope it doesn't. I am a Flames fan and wan the best for the team so unlike you I don't care if any player does well as long as it helps the team.

Tkachuk is one of my favorite Flames, what part of Canada did he grow up in?

Reinhart

Jun 13, 2011
ROFLMAO at the suggestion that Fox would be the best puck moving defencemen on the Flames right now. For heaven's sake, imagine Giordano, Hamilton or Brodie out there right now in the U20 tournament.

Fox MAY one day be the Flames' best puck mover, and he is unquestionably trending in the right direction, but let's not make outlandish hyperbolic statements.

Reactions: snipetype

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
^Gaudreau was the best puck mover on the Flames the first time he stepped on the ice for them and he wasn't much older than Fox

The claim, while an exaggeration, might be slightly true. Fox has a gift that very few other players have that allows him to see lanes and plays that others don't.

His skating needs to get way better for him to reach his full potential but he will be able to have a long pro career feasting on PP time as it stands

Skip2myBordyloo

Stay the course
Apr 7, 2010

Adam Fox isn't even NHL ready, his skills wouldn't translate today.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
^Gaudreau was the best puck mover on the Flames the first time he stepped on the ice for them and he wasn't much older than Fox

The claim, while an exaggeration, might be slightly true. Fox has a gift that very few other players have that allows him to see lanes and plays that others don't.

His skating needs to get way better for him to reach his full potential but he will be able to have a long pro career feasting on PP time as it stands

If his passing/puck moving skills were already at above NHL level right now you would think that he would do a lot better at the WJHC than he just did.

Its not like he was making a ton of amazing passes to bums either the forwards on his team had talent.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005

I think he definitely is. His skating still needs improvement, but his is no worse than a guy like Will Butcher, and Fox is a much smarter defensive player and has much better vision. For reference, Butcher had 37p in 43gp, Fox had 40p in only 35gp. So in 8 fewer games he had 3 more points playing in the tougher conference on a worse team.

Hockey IQ like his doesn't come around very often and can make up for vast deficiencies in other areas. He completely controls the pace out there.

He was the top scoring defenseman in the NCAA last year as a freshman and 7th in assists among all players. Think about that.

It's really uncanny the similarities he shares with a guy like Gaudreau. Obviously the puck skills, composure, vision, and decision making are elite for both, but they are also both surprisingly strong on the puck and win a ton of 50/50 stick battles. Both guys have pretty weak shots unless they get a wrister from in close, but they can really snipe. And as prospects, both guys were critiqued for their top speed, yet had excellent edge control.

His skating needs improvement but like I mentioned above worse skating dmen like Will Butcher have found success. I think he'd be ready to play in a top 4 role today if he had a smooth skating 2 way D partner.

Skip2myBordyloo

Stay the course
Apr 7, 2010
I think he definitely is. His skating still needs improvement, but his is no worse than a guy like Will Butcher, and Fox is a much smarter defensive player and has much better vision. For reference, Butcher had 37p in 43gp, Fox had 40p in only 35gp. So in 8 fewer games he had 3 more points playing in the tougher conference on a worse team.

Hockey IQ like his doesn't come around very often and can make up for vast deficiencies in other areas. He completely controls the pace out there.

He was the top scoring defenseman in the NCAA last year as a freshman and 7th in assists among all players. Think about that.

Well we're going to just have to agree to disagree, I did not see an NHL quality player from him in the WJC.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
If his passing/puck moving skills were already at above NHL level right now you would think that he would do a lot better at the WJHC than he just did.

Its not like he was making a ton of amazing passes to bums either the forwards on his team had talent.

You don't think 5p in 6gp is good for a dman at this level? He's been the best American all tournament IMO.

There's a reason he led all NCAA defenseman in scoring as a freshman last year, despite not being the most athletic guy in the league. Here's a hint - IQ, vision, and puck skills

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Im still curious what his plans are. Is he staying at Harvard for the full 4 years? Seems like we have been talking about him for a long time and hes only in the middle of his 2nd season at Harvard. IMO hes not NHL ready so i dont mind him staying there for a bit still but i hope Flames dont end up losing the guy if he stays the full 4 and tests the UFA market

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
You don't think 5p in 6gp is good for a dman at this level? He's been the best American all tournament IMO.

There's a reason he led all NCAA defenseman in scoring as a freshman last year, despite not being the most athletic guy in the league. Here's a hint - IQ, vision, and puck skills

Its fine for a junior aged guy.

But not nearly good enough for a guy who supposedly moves the puck better than Giordano, Brodie and Hamilton. It wasn't even the best performance offensively by a defenseman in the this tournament, not remotely close to the best all time.

If he right now has basically elite level puck moving skills at the NHL level then he should have dominated offensively in this tournament.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Im still curious what his plans are. Is he staying at Harvard for the full 4 years? Seems like we have been talking about him for a long time and hes only in the middle of his 2nd season at Harvard. IMO hes not NHL ready so i dont mind him staying there for a bit still but i hope Flames dont end up losing the guy if he stays the full 4 and tests the UFA market

If the Flames don't sign him this summer that might be trouble. Ivy league guys heading to their senior year seem like they like graduating with that degree they paid for.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Calgary always has amazing defence on paper.
And then you watch them play...

What are you talking about? Calgary is top 10 in scoring chances and high danger prevention. Calgary has way better defensive metrics than Nashville who everyone claims to have the best team defense. If there's been anything holding the Flames back post-Hartley it's offense, special teams, and in 2016-2017 goaltending.

Elias Pettersson

I'm not a troll
Jan 22, 2014
What are you talking about? Calgary is top 10 in scoring chances and high danger prevention. Calgary has way better defensive metrics than Nashville who everyone claims to have the best team defense. If there's been anything holding the Flames back post-Hartley it's offense, special teams, and in 2016-2017 goaltending.
and yet all my Flames fans friends consistently complain that the defence is letting them down this year...

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
and yet all my Flames fans friends consistently complain that the defence is letting them down this year...

Well stats say otherwise. Stats say special teams and offense is. Yes special teams include PK which I guess technically counts as defense, but it's only a fraction of defense. People will complain about PK if they allow 1PP goal against on 2 penalties despite having a perfect save percentage on even strength. That's just how it is.

Elias Pettersson

I'm not a troll
Jan 22, 2014
Well stats say otherwise. Stats say special teams and offense is. Yes special teams include PK which I guess technically counts as defense, but it's only a fraction of defense. People will complain about PK if they allow 1PP goal against on 2 penalties despite having a perfect save percentage on even strength. That's just how it is.
PK is largely dependent on defencemen... And since you say it's not your goalie letting you down this year, then I don't see how defence isn't a part of it.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
PK is largely dependent on defencemen... And since you say it's not your goalie letting you down this year, then I don't see how defence isn't a part of it.

PK is largely the forwards pressuring well. Defense can play perfectly and still lose to a one timer. Brodie had 10 bad games but otherwise our defense is the best it's been in twenty years.

Reactions: L13

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
I didn't know this, but do the players actually pay to be there or are they not on scholarships?

Looks like Harvard doesn't.

1. Most Division I men’s hockey programs offer 18 athletic scholarships. Teams in Atlantic Hockey are limited to 14, while some schools – those in the Ivy League, RIT and Union – do not offer athletic scholarships. All of those schools offer competitive financial aid packages, whether or not they are tied to a student-athlete’s athletic ability.

10 Need-to-Know Facts About NCAA Hockey Scholarships - College Hockey, Inc.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
I didn't know this, but do the players actually pay to be there or are they not on scholarships?

I don't believe so. Friend of mine played at Yale and had to pay his way. The idea is that you're getting a better degree than you probably would have otherwise so if you can afford it it's worth it.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
Every scouting person I've read lately seems to disagree with you. His one significant weakness is skating, and it's probably not significant enough to prevent him from being an effective NHLer, even as it stands today.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Fox has done nothing but impress the living hell out of me the last few years. He is a top pairing defensemen at the NHL level with his potential and current abilities.

I think people are going a bit too crazy with how some are ranking this kid as elite, but his skillset and intangibles are top end. I think the thing that is most impressive about Fox is simply he isn't an Anthony DeAngelo...all the skills in the world, but actually plays solid defense, solid pinching, and doesn't get bounced around in front of his net...

Fox has a bright future, he is one of the best young defensemen not in the NHL right now- he should be playing for team USA at the Olympics in my opinion...I think he is one of the safer bets out there as a prospect to make it as a long term pro...if I was a Flames fan,. I would be extremely worried he hasnt signed yet...my gut says he sticks for his senior year for his degree and heads to a destination of his choosing - I think he holds out and signs with his Islanders- why wouldn't you if you had a chance to play for your hometown team and know you will crack the top 6 day 1???

Reactions: Dack

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad