Raw/SD/NXT/PPV Spoilers - Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Not sure if mentioned, but it is speculated that Goldberg may be a surprise entrance into the Andre The Giant Battle Royal at WrestleMania and would win the match.

The idea is to use that match, and such a high profile winner, to help sell the HBO series on Andre, with the hope that if the series does well, HBO would be open to more WWE based content.

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
lets use the ARMBAR to elevate an up-and-comer

or just have a relic part timer win it lol

Oct 18, 2011
lets use the ARMBAR to elevate an up-and-comer

or just have a relic part timer win it lol
honestly it probably is the best use of the event, based on it's history.

So sounds like Roman will be coronated again, I wonder if the fans will throw shit at him

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
The battle royal is already such a joke. Cesaro won the first one and didn't get any kind of title match or push.

Look at the other winners: Big Show, Corbin, Mojo.

The battle royal is a match for all the jobbers to get in a match on the pre-show and get a Mania payday. No one actually cares about the battle royal because nothing good happens from it.

as bad as the Mahal reign was, at least if he won the battle royal it would have made it seem better.

Reactions: ColePens

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
honestly it probably is the best use of the event, based on it's history.

So sounds like Roman will be coronated again, I wonder if the fans will throw **** at him

I think everyone has known since the day after last years Mania that Reigns is getting his 4th straight WM main event and 3/4 win

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
The battle royal is already such a joke. Cesaro won the first one and didn't get any kind of title match or push.

Look at the other winners: Big Show, Corbin, Mojo.

The battle royal is a match for all the jobbers to get in a match on the pre-show and get a Mania payday. No one actually cares about the battle royal because nothing good happens from it.

as bad as the Mahal reign was, at least if he won the battle royal it would have made it seem better.
That last part is so big. If Mahal won it wouldn't have been farfetched and we would have probably been praising WWE for actually establishing the battle royal winner as a top player, or at least attempting to. Instead he lost to Rawley who went on to do nothing and Mahal went from jobber to WWE champ.

Megahab

Apr 30, 2009
Toronto
Every Andre battle royal winner has completely ignored the trophy within a week or two of winning it. They need to have the winner carry the trophy around for a while to make it mean something. The battle royal prize doesn't need to be a title shot. The prize should be the trophy.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Every Andre battle royal winner has completely ignored the trophy within a week or two of winning it. They need to have the winner carry the trophy around for a while to make it mean something. The battle royal prize doesn't need to be a title shot. The prize should be the trophy.
Well they need to downsize the trophy because it’s huge.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom

When Swags broke Cesaro's trophy it was hilarious but they should have both the trophy and it giving the winner a title shot the next show that they're on whether it's Raw or Smackdown or at the next show's PPV. If it's the show after, you have a title match to promote for the whole lead-in to Mania. If it's at the PPV, you can use the trophy as part of the build towards that match. Either way will work if done properly and gives it meaning. Just the trophy itself will get stale even if they take great care in the stories they use with it...which they don't lol

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Well they need to downsize the trophy because it’s huge.

Was about to say this.

Someone trying to carry that around and showcase it would just look funky.

Though, take a page from the NhL’s Book and have whoever wins hire someone to take care of it, and follow them around with the trophy, wearing white gloves and a suit, and have it set up t ringside whenever they are out there.

Would be a great thing for a heel

Reactions: PeterSidorkiewicz

Kimi

Jun 24, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
Doesn't having the BR be for a title shot devalue the Rumble some? Maybe make it for the winner's choice of IC or US Title.
That's what I'd do. Give the winner an Intercontinental or US title match at the next PPV. Or maybe even on TV the next week.

But the winner needs to be someone who is going to get a push for the entire year AND has never had a title match before. It needs to be someone where this is the start of their slow push to the top. The goal being that in two years, they'll be in a featured match at 'Mania.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I don't think you need to give the winner a title shot.

But have guys want to be in the match. Have qualifying matches. Create storylines heading into the match that can play out within the match. Have it open the show each year.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Doesn't having the BR be for a title shot devalue the Rumble some? Maybe make it for the winner's choice of IC or US Title.

Does giving anyone a title shot at any point devalue the Rumble some? The answer is no. It all depends on how big you actually want to make this Battle Royal. If you want to make it a huge deal, making it a midcard title is counterproductive to that. If you want it to only have midcard level prestige which is basically none then yeah you can do that and that would be fine. It's a matter of what you want out of it. You can't make it a legitimate big deal by having the prize be just a trophy and/or a midcard title shot.

Kimi

Jun 24, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
The thing you win doesn't matter, it's what happens to the winner after the fact that really matters.

The ARMBaR should be about the WWE saying directly to the fans "this guy is going to get a push this year", and that will make it mean something going forward the following years (assuming that they actually follow through on the push).

Megahab

Apr 30, 2009
Toronto
The thing you win doesn't matter, it's what happens to the winner after the fact that really matters.

The ARMBaR should be about the WWE saying directly to the fans "this guy is going to get a push this year", and that will make it mean something going forward the following years (assuming that they actually follow through on the push).

I agree but I don't think the prize should be a title shot. The trophy should be the kayfabe title/prize
It should mean something. The first 4-5 Royal Rumbles had nothing on the line and they meant something. Same with several KOTRs.

We should have been conditioned to think that the winner is getting a huge push. That's what I was hoping it would be when they introduced but it might be too late since they've done almost nothing with every winner except maybe Corbin.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom

True but I just see it as easy booking. I don't see any good reason why it shouldn't be booked just like the Royal Rumble, Elimination Chamber, or Money in the Bank are booked. If you build it into the match that it's going to mean something for the person next then you build in the incentive for the producers to plan it out and give the spot to the appropriate person.

As for the trophy, you can try all you want to make the trophy the prize but that's hokey and not something that's going to ever get over with the fans anymore. Fans are not ever going to get emotionally invested into a battle royal because of a trophy. There's no way in 2018 to condition the fans to do that. You don't have to put the talent over to give them a title but if you like someone like Corbin and he wins the battle royal and gets to headline the next PPV with your champion and it's someone like AJ Styles, Styles can go over Corbin while shining him up real nice.

The problem with WWE these days is that they only have a select few things that people win outside of the title that matter and the ability to get a title shot is one of them. That's why Money in the Bank matters. That's why Royal Rumble matters now. Does anyone honestly think that if WWE didn't award a title shot to the Rumble winner and offered literally nothing that it would still be what it is today? I sincerely doubt it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->