Rated prospects, 2nd tier: the 9B's

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Carter is almost certainly not on the same level as Malkin.

sunb

Jun 27, 2004
Yale University
Epsilon said:
At this point I'd rate Malkin a 9A or possibly even higher. Carter is probably fine where he is.

I agree, Malkin should be higher and tipping in at around 9.0 A and maybe even flirting with the 9.5 mark.

Jeff Carter is interesting.

I think he deserves to have his 9.0 B tag simply because he is tearing up the AHL playoffs and leads the entire league in goals and points in playoff play (despite being in the OHL the whole season). However, this 9.0 B rating has been with him for awhile now which is a bit off since prior to these playoffs, there was no way he'd be above a guy like Zherdev.

PhillyPhantoms

I don't see why so many of you are talking that Carter should have a lower rating. Have you been watching the AHL Playoffs? To come in and do what he is doing after playing in the OHL all season is incredible. I know I'm going to hear that Malkin had such a great WJC, but Carter's was just as good if not better.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
It was Carter's last WJC though, while Malkin still has another shot.

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
Jacobv2 said:

Doesn't mean he is THAT much better... Don't forget Carter was playing on an All-Star team pretty much. Not to mention ONE tournament. Malkin is better, but not by that much. Maybe Malkin: 9.0B to Carter 8.5B ? Not that ratings mean anything...

Gags1288

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Jacobv2 said:
Yea, but Jeff's last WJC was in the same ballpark as well. Remember, he made the all tournament team twice. He also broke? (tied maybe) Lindros's record for most goals in the tournament by a Canadian (and it took Eric, not to say Jeff is in his league). Jeff was a very good, but not great player in the OHL playing on a consistently awful team. He's come to the Phantoms two years on ATO's and torn up the AHL. I think he should be around an 8.5 B, but the problem is that other players rankings dictate that he deserves to be where he is. I think a guy like Zherdev deserves to be on the same, if not a higher level than that off Jeff. In addition, it's hard to rank Jeff ahead of Horton unless it's purely on injury history. But I do think Jeff is a top 5 forward prospect (probably behind Zherdev, Malkin, Ovechkin, Horton) and certainly a top 8 prospect in the world. Also, isn't 8.5 A supposed to be a higher level than 9B? If so, i'd take him over all 4 of the guys listed as 8.5 A's.
I'd have it like this for the 9 tear
9A- Ovechkin, Malkin, Lehtonen, Zherdev
9B- Carter, Phaneuf, Horton, (Fleury maybe, still has tremendous upside)

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
I'd lean towards a B for Malkin. Partially because, he's still got a lot of potential remaining, and does a few things kinda raw. But the 9 is definitely fitting.

Carter, I'm not so sure. He's good, but I don't know enough to add to a discussion on it.

PhillyPhantoms

Chimaera said:
I'd lean towards a B for Malkin. Partially because, he's still got a lot of potential remaining, and does a few things kinda raw. But the 9 is definitely fitting.

Carter, I'm not so sure. He's good, but I don't know enough to add to a discussion on it.

All you need to know about Carter to enter the discussion about him is his playoffs in the AHL this year. Totally dominant, and playoff MVP so far IMO

ZombieMatt

May 20, 2002
Right now, Malkin remains a better prospect that Carter, but Carter's seamless adaption to the AHL certainly brings him closer in my books.

MojoJojo

Jan 31, 2003
Philadelphia
Visit site
I would give Carter a 8.5A, or maybe at the top of the 8A's. Ceiling not as high as Malkin, but a very, very safe prospect in terms of whether he will have an impact on the NHL. I Cant think of a single aspect of his game that is even average by NHL stadards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad