Rate Your Team's 2003 Draft

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
Oulahen is a defensive center. I think he'll make it. He's a great skater, faceoffs, PK, etc...

Think Draper, style wise.

With the first pick at #64 the Wings did very well in this one IMO. Good goalie and likely 2nd pairing D and a 3rd/4th liner. Nill has gone on the record hoping for one NHLer per draft. This could/should be three.

ok sorry. i dont know that much about him. guess only time will tell, but i know howard and quincey looks very good.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
2) C - Eric Staal - No way you could go wrong with this pick. He's been an absolute home run so far with Dion Phaneuf being the only other pick that was arguably as good. Grade: 10/10

31) D - Danny Richmond - Has strugled to establish his offnsive game at the pro level (both AHL and NHL) so far but he was also traded for Anton Babchuk who hasn't had the same strugles in Raleigh. Pick Grade: 7/10, Trade Grade: 9/10.

102) D - Aaron Dawson - looked like a good pick early on but strugled with injuries the year after his draft and was never signed by the Canes. As far as I know he has not surfaced on either an AHL or ECHL team this season. 4/10

126) G - Kevin Nastiuk - strugled in the AHL last year but was solid enough in the ECHL. Is playing for Las Vegas of the ECHL currently but is coming off an injury so there's no telling how he'll recover. Grade: 7/10

130) D - Matej Trojovsky - He nearly made the Hurricanes right out of training camp the year he was drafted but he REALLY fell off the radar after that. All signs point to him never playing a game at the NHL level. 3/10

137) D - Tyson Strachan - The Ohio State defenseman has been left to develop his game at the NCAA level. Too early to tell with him although if he's not signed after this season to at least play in the ECHL it's safe to call him a bust. No grade.

198) LW - Shay Stephenson - It's been a mystery to me as to why the Hurricanes didn't sign him, especially after the huge playoff run he had for Red Deer in 2003-04. The Canes mistake has turned out to be the Kings gain as he was signed as a free agent after the lockout and could develop into a solid 4th liner. Grade: 8/10

230) F - Jamie Hoffmann - The next Tom Glavine? Ok, maybe a bit of an exageration, but he is doing well playing baseball and has been called up to the AAA level in the Dodgers organization. Either way his hockey career is done. No grade.

262) C - Ryan Rorabeck - Not signed but how many 9th rounders are? Doubt he'll ever play an NHL game. No grade.

Grade: 8/10, Not many "bad" picks. A couple of busts and one that got away and has surfaced in another teams organization. It's hard to have a bad draft when you get a legitimate superstar and turn a mediocre pick into another young defenseman that has become a staple on your blueline.

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
2) C - Eric Staal - No way you could go wrong with this pick. He's been an absolute home run so far with Dion Phaneuf being the only other pick that was arguably as good. Grade: 10/10

31) D - Danny Richmond - Has strugled to establish his offnsive game at the pro level (both AHL and NHL) so far but he was also traded for Anton Babchuk who hasn't had the same strugles in Raleigh. Pick Grade: 7/10, Trade Grade: 9/10.

102) D - Aaron Dawson - looked like a good pick early on but strugled with injuries the year after his draft and was never signed by the Canes. As far as I know he has not surfaced on either an AHL or ECHL team this season. 4/10

126) G - Kevin Nastiuk - strugled in the AHL last year but was solid enough in the ECHL. Is playing for Las Vegas of the ECHL currently but is coming off an injury so there's no telling how he'll recover. Grade: 7/10

130) D - Matej Trojovsky - He nearly made the Hurricanes right out of training camp the year he was drafted but he REALLY fell off the radar after that. All signs point to him never playing a game at the NHL level. 3/10

137) D - Tyson Strachan - The Ohio State defenseman has been left to develop his game at the NCAA level. Too early to tell with him although if he's not signed after this season to at least play in the ECHL it's safe to call him a bust. No grade.

198) LW - Shay Stephenson - It's been a mystery to me as to why the Hurricanes didn't sign him, especially after the huge playoff run he had for Red Deer in 2003-04. The Canes mistake has turned out to be the Kings gain as he was signed as a free agent after the lockout and could develop into a solid 4th liner. Grade: 8/10

230) F - Jamie Hoffmann - The next Tom Glavine? Ok, maybe a bit of an exageration, but he is doing well playing baseball and has been called up to the AAA level in the Dodgers organization. Either way his hockey career is done. No grade.

262) C - Ryan Rorabeck - Not signed but how many 9th rounders are? Doubt he'll ever play an NHL game. No grade.

Grade: 8/10, Not many "bad" picks. A couple of busts and one that got away and has surfaced in another teams organization. It's hard to have a bad draft when you get a legitimate superstar and turn a mediocre pick into another young defenseman that has become a staple on your blueline.

i just find that a bit funny. i cant believe a guy can be drafted by an nhl team and then decide to play baseball instead. when you are 18 you should have made up your mind imo. and why even draft a guy that isn't sure what he will play in the future. i know its like round 8 or something, but still pretty funny.

The Viking Fury

Nov 28, 2005
i just find that a bit funny. i cant believe a guy can be drafted by an nhl team and then decide to play baseball instead. when you are 18 you should have made up your mind imo. and why even draft a guy that isn't sure what he will play in the future. i know its like round 8 or something, but still pretty funny.
I think some team drafted a goalie a few years ago in one of the later rounds, and then let the team know that he had no interest in hockey as a career. What the hell? LOL.

I think it was the Canucks, but im not 100% sure

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
I think some team drafted a goalie a few years ago in one of the later rounds, and then let the team know that he had no interest in hockey as a career. What the hell? LOL.

:biglaugh: i thought they at least talked a little bit with the guys before drafting them. those kind of stories just crack me up. what a waste!!

Gags1288

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Philadelphia:

Jeff Carter-Selected 11th overall. Had a productive rookie season in which he battled a lot of adversity and managed to score 23 goals. Got off to a slow start this season and is now out 6 weeks with a broken leg. I still think the kid will be a legit #1 center and has the potential to be a 40+ goal scorer. I'd give the pick an A

Mike Richards- Selected 24th overall. Also had a productive rookie season, though not as productive offensively as his fellow first round pick. Looks great on the PK this year and is getting/creating tons of chances, but the numbers are pretty pedestrian. I think he'll become a very good player, like Carter. I'd also give the pick an A though the kid needs a little time to mature into the player many believe he will.

Colin Frasier- Selected 69th overall. Was dealt to Chicago and I really haven't followed his progress. I haven't heard about him lighting the world on fire, so I probably wouldn't give the pick more then a C.

Stefan Ruzicka- Selected 81st overall. Had a quality season in the AHL last season after a couple of very good junior campaigns. He was off to a great start in the AHL this season when he was called up. He put up a few points playing on the top line, but he clearly needs a bit more time. I think he's going to be a top 6 forward in the future, I'd give this pick an A also for a late 3rd rounder.

Alexander Picard- Selected 85th overall. Has gotten some NHL time over the past 2 seasons and has not looked out of place. He doesn't do anything exceptionally well, but he's solid all around. He's the best defensive prospect in the Flyers system right now, so I'd also give this pick an A for a late 3rd rounder.

Ryan Potulny- Selected 87 overall. Had a tremendous season in college last year, leading the NCAA in goals. The Flyers have high hopes for the kid. He's been injured for most of this season and he's been fairly productive in the AHL when he's played, but he's clearly still at least a year away. I'd give the pick a B+, but I think the kid has an NHL future.

Rick Kozak- Selected 95th overall. Traded, in ECHL...F
Kevin Romy- Ehh, doubt he ever makes it, though he's still a decent prospect...C
David Trembley-Still in the Q, buried behind other goalies in the system...D
Rejean Beauchemin-He's been decent in the AHL, he has potential...C
Ville Hostikka-Behind even more goalies then Trembley...F

Overall, I give the draft an A. The team has already had 4 of these guys play in the NHL with another one likely to be in the NHL within a year. Any time you can get 5 NHL'ers out of one draft, a team has done very very well and the Flyers may very well have done that.

AlienWorkShop

No, Ben! No!
Oct 30, 2004
Ooo, this should be fun for a Leaf fan.

D - John Doherty - 2nd Round 57th Overall: Pretty brutal pick. Perhaps he has the physical attributes, but hasn't played nearly enough to develop and the Leafs will most likely lose his rights next year I think. Playing decent for Quinnipiac right now, but it really doesn't matter. F

W - Martin Sagat - 3rd Round 91st Overall: Has some size and great work ethic. He's been decent in the AHL for the minutes he's recieved, although a breakout this year would be important to any chance at an NHL future. Could be a 3rd/4th line checker with some luck. Has developed a fan club, like all Leaf players... Not a bad 3rd round pick.C+

F - Konstantin Volkov - 4th Round 125th Overall: Not too much is really known about Volkov. Had some odd spurts of offense in the RSL, though was MIA for awhile, military obligations I think? Not likely to be coming over the pond, so not a good pick. D+

C -John Mitchell - 5th Round 158th Overall: Was a strong leader in the OHL and seems to have solid role player written all over him. However, has yet to make a mark in the AHL, despite a strong rookie tournament. Has had injury troubles too. Solid for a 5th round pick if you ask me.B-

F - Jeremy Williams - 7th Round 220th Overall: The only true bright spot of this draft. Has started scoring in the AHL fairly well, with an NHL quality shot. Just waiting for the rest of his game to catch up. Scored in his first game, and has some top 6 potential in him. Just needs to truly dominate the AHL to take the next step. A

C - Shaun Landolt - 8th Round 237th Overall: 8th rounder who has done very little in the minors. Is now in the CHL with 6 points in 7 games, whoopdie doo. Not an issue with an 8th rounder. D

Transported Upstater

Ooo, this should be fun for a Leaf fan.

D - John Doherty - 2nd Round 57th Overall: Pretty brutal pick. Perhaps he has the physical attributes, but hasn't played nearly enough to develop and the Leafs will most likely lose his rights next year I think. Playing decent for Quinnipiac right now, but it really doesn't matter. F

W - Martin Sagat - 3rd Round 91st Overall: Has some size and great work ethic. He's been decent in the AHL for the minutes he's recieved, although a breakout this year would be important to any chance at an NHL future. Could be a 3rd/4th line checker with some luck. Has developed a fan club, like all Leaf players... Not a bad 3rd round pick.C+

F - Konstantin Volkov - 4th Round 125th Overall: Not too much is really known about Volkov. Had some odd spurts of offense in the RSL, though was MIA for awhile, military obligations I think? Not likely to be coming over the pond, so not a good pick. D+

C -John Mitchell - 5th Round 158th Overall: Was a strong leader in the OHL and seems to have solid role player written all over him. However, has yet to make a mark in the AHL, despite a strong rookie tournament. Has had injury troubles too. Solid for a 5th round pick if you ask me.B-

F - Jeremy Williams - 7th Round 220th Overall: The only true bright spot of this draft. Has started scoring in the AHL fairly well, with an NHL quality shot. Just waiting for the rest of his game to catch up. Scored in his first game, and has some top 6 potential in him. Just needs to truly dominate the AHL to take the next step. A

C - Shaun Landolt - 8th Round 237th Overall: 8th rounder who has done very little in the minors. Is now in the CHL with 6 points in 7 games, whoopdie doo. Not an issue with an 8th rounder. D

I just threw up in my mouth.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC

Agreed, although I think that was one of the reasons he was taken as late in the draft as he was instead of earlier. It's not like he was playing HS level either, he was in the USHL, so I have to wonder how the heck he had time to play baseball asside from in the off-season.

Either way, 8th round picks are such longshots to make it... now if that was a day one or even a 4th rounder from 03 I would have been pissed.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Kind of like Drew Henson in football. you gamble they can't hit a curveball and decide to try their fall back sport.

raidered

Feb 4, 2004
Norrisnick you obviously know more about Oulahen's game than Redwingsfan. You can not look up his stats and judge his game on them. He has been on the ice for maybe 2 goals against all year, 1 on the PK and the other was the shot from outside the blue line that Liv let in late in a game. Oulahen's only goal this year was the game winner. He was not on the ice for any of the last 6 PPG against during this latest Moose series of games. He never gets prime scoring ice time i.e. power play time. His points to ice time ratio might have been the best on the Griffins last last. In a year or 2 he could be one of those bargain 4th line players on the Red Wings happy to make a $500,000 yearly salary in the new cap era.

AZmog

Mar 10, 2003
Visit site
Not too different to Kirk McCaskill back in the 81 draft. The Jets picked him #64 overall out of the University of Vermont. After he was drafted he played 1 season for the Sherbrooke Jets getting 22pts in 78 games in 83/84. He was also drafted by the California Angels in the 4th round in 82. He went on to have an 11 year MLB career as a starting pitcher earning about 13 million dollars in those seasons.

xIsle

Oct 24, 2006
Montreal
New York Islanders.

The Isles has done pretty well during the 2003 entry draft. They select at least 3 NHL calibre players (Nilsson, Colliton and Gervais).

15- Robert Nilsson. Lots of talent and creativity but must show much more desire if he wants to be succesful in the NHL. He has the talent to be a first liner. He should crack the Isles line up as soon as next year if everything goes fine. Right now i'll give him a B+.

48- Dimitri Chernykh
53- Evgeni Tunik Both russian players were bad selection when you considered that Patrick O'sullivan was still available. None of them will make the NHL. Grade F for both.

58-Jeremy Colliton Two-way type player. Should play some day in the third line. The worst case scenario is he become a fourth line player. But he will play in the NHL some day. He had a very good first year in the AHL last year. He's right now an alternate captain with Bridgeport. Grade C+

120- Stefan Blaho He unfortunately died in a car accident.

182- Bruno Gervais A very good pick by the Islanders. He already show a lot of poise for is young age. He's a smooth skater but must get a little stronger. He's potentially a top 4 defenseman who can be use during the powerplay. Grade B

212- Denis Rehak
238- Cody Blanshan They will never play in the NHL. An F for both.

246- Igor Volkov He's a long shot. He has decent production in the RSL. He's a goal scorer. Should be at last at the Isles next training camp and we'll see from there if he's a NHL calibre prospect. Grade D

Meichel Kane

My Name Is
Jun 6, 2006
Buffalo

Round 1 (5) - Thomas Vanek - Sabres were looking for a high scoring winger, and it looks like they got one. 20+ goals in a "bad" year last year. A-

Round 2 (65) - Branislav Fabry - was in training camp this year, but isn't going to be an NHL player - D+

Round 3 (74) - Clarke MacArthur - one of the top forward prospects in the organization right now, other than Stafford and Zagrapan - B-

Round 4 (106) - Jan Hejda - traded to dmonton, solid defenseman for a 4th rounder - B-

Round 4 (114) - Danis Ezhov - :dunno: - D-

Round 5 (150) - Thomas Morrow - nothing special - D

Round 6 (172) - Pavel Voroshnin - same as the last two picks - D

Round 7 (202) - Nathan Paetsch - Great pick. Playing very well in place of Tallinder right now. He has a bright future. This pick makes up for the 3 previous - A

Round 9 (266) - Louis Philippe Martin - What can you expect from a 9th rounder - D

Hawerchuk9

Jul 22, 2005
Delson, Québec
6-Milan Michalek-Might have been better options at this point (Dion Phaneuf), but this is still an absolutely great pick. Michalek leads the Sharks in goals this year and is finally showing his offensive flair. Should top out as a first-line winger. In the entire draft, only Phaneuf is clearly going to be better than Michalek. Also, this was a very obvious pick for the Sharks, so I can't credit them for a "wonderful find". B+

16-Steve Bernier-A pick that was very questionable at the time, Patrice Bergeron is the only player taken after #16 that I would for-sure take over Bernier. Getzlaf, Richards, Weber, and Carle could have bigger impacts but Bernier could be one of the top power-forwards of his generation. Even if he doesn't make it to that level, he still will be a solid first-line winger who can chip in 30+ goals. However, I still think Doug Wilson did not have to trade up to get this pick. A-

43-Josh Hennessy-He left the orginzation, that sucks, but he was still a solid pick, and the fact that Ottawa asked for him in the Mark Bell trade tells me he has hidden potential. He has second-line potential and will likely be a very good third-line player in the Niklas Sundstrom mold. There were clearly better choices at this spot: O'Sullivan, Carle, Weber, Bergeron. B

47-Matt Carle-Absolutely stellar pick. Though Doug Wilson could probably have taken him later, Carle is proving to be one of the steals of the draft. He could be the highest-scoring, second-best defenseman in this draft (after Phaneuf), and he will likely be one of the top NHL defensemen in his prime. A
F

Wow....very strong picks. We'll see about Hennessy but the other 3 already rocks! :clap:

dire wolf

immaculate vibes
May 9, 2006
Out in LA

This has happened a bunch of times actually. Just off the top of my head, Dave Winfield was drafted in baseball, football and basketball.
On the other hand, Charlie Ward won the Heisman and was not drafted by the NFL at all -- drafted by the Knicks in the first round and played b-ball instead.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad