Rate Your Team's 2003 Draft

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
With the new season we've hit the 3 year threshold on navel gazing prospects. How does your team's 2003 draft rank?

Colorado Avs

No 1st round pick from the Blake trade (good investment)

2/63 David Liffiton D: Traded to the Rangers in the Barnay deal. Jury is still out on his ability. Had an ECHL stint but looks like a decent contributor at Hartford could still have an NHL career.

4/131 David Svagrovsky RW: In the minors. Loks like he'll spend his career there. Player picked for size (6-3) his game may not translate to the new NHL.

5/146 Mark McCutcheon C: This pick had dud written all over it for three years. Now as a senior in Cornell he's had an early run. Good bet to at least get a pro contract.

5/163 Brad Richardson C: Great pick. Made the avs last year and has performed well this season. 2 way player with speed for new NHL and a nifty wrister. Forces turnovers. Could be a top 6 talent.

7/204 Linus Videll LW: Another size queen project (6-3 214). Hasn't stuck in the SEL so NHL career is doubtful. The new rights situation on Euros makes the pick a bigger write off.

7/225 Brett Hemingway W: In his senior year at UNH, college scoring star. Slight frame could be a hinderence. Could go either way on getting a contract.

8/257 Darryl Yacboski D: Rentered and went undrafted in '05. Washed out of the Dub last year.

9/288 David Jones RW: Generating some excitement as a prospect. In his junior year at Dartmouth and off to a quick start after a breakout season as a soph. Good power forward/checking line credentials size, speed and skill. has a couple more years in college to ripen.

So a decent draft for being without a 1st. Hit one home run (Richardson) and still have a few prospects.

Last edited:

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Habs

Andrei Kostitsyn - 1/10 - Was considered a "high risk, high reward" pick while back, and it's still the case today. He shown his skills at the WJC (beating team USA alone back then), and even here, in North America, with his short stint with Montreal last year. But, He had only one good training camp (this year) and do not have success in the AHL. Not a very intelligent player from what I've seen, but became strong enough for the league. Jury is STILL out, and I don't see him becoming more of a 2nd liner gamebreaker, a least talented version of Alex Kovalev. Could bust. The pick is painful considering he was picked between Phaneuf and Carter...

Cory Urquhart - 2/40 - Was nearly 19 when picked by Montreal, and posted a decent, but far from great, season with the Montreal/PEI Rocket (coached by Alain Vigneault at that time). Had another generic season in the Q, and then went straight away to the ECHL. Not able to get out of the ECHL, even if posting some solid, yet unspectacular seasons. Might be wrong, but this guy screams bust. Was also very raw, like Kostitsyn.

Maxim Lapierre - 2/61 - A spark-plug from the beginning, reminds me a lot of an other Maxime actually in the league (Talbot). Benefited 2 seasons in the Q before heading for the pros, and spent the whole season in the AHL last year, posting okay numbers and showing lots of grit. As is often the case with this kind of players, must spend time in the AHL in order to learn game smarts -- and while it's safe to say he will never get near the first two lines, it's also safe to say he's gonna be a regular with the Habs, maybe before the end of this year, and surely before Kostitsyn. Don't expect him to ever get near the numbers he's posting in the AHL (1 PPG so far) this year, though. a 15 pts/150 PIM's guys, with rather few stupid ones.

Ryan O'Byrne - 3/79 - Hulking blue liner, listed 6'5 230, and may still get bigger. Drafted from the BCHL, and spent 3 years in Cornell. Came with Montreal this year, but looked LOST at the training camp, and is with Hamilton now (how is he doing so far?). My guess is he's a project, not expected to bring lots of offense with this team, and might end up being a 5th to 7th D-Men. With the new NHL, might NEVER get there, though. Nothing to do with footspeed --- he just looked lost.

Cory Locke - 4/110 - Drafted as a 19YO, Habs took a flyer with this OHL leading scorer. Made me think of a smaller, Mike Ribeiro. Is on a make or break year. Lack of talent at Center amongst youth (Maxwell and White won't be out of juniors next year) and lack of general depth at this position, too, makes me think that they're gonna keep him, maybe 1 or 2 others year. Consistency issues.

Danny Stewart - 4/123 - Dud pick...Never offered a contract. Offensive player that had Lapierre-like stats while playing with good players with Rimouski (Crosby, Roussin, Pouliot, Tobin, Hyrdel). , and wasn't able to post reasonable stats, for an overager, while center Slava Truhkno and Marc-André Gragnani. His team was also bad beyond belief this year, which meant ever other team passed on him while Rimouski were doing their firesale...

Christopher Heino - 6/177 - Was goaltending for a relatively bad Sweden team that the U20... I remembered that I liked him, but somehow gave lots of goals out there. Someone can help me for this guy? Anyways... He made the SEL last year with Farjestads, and is stil there. Doubtful if he's ever gonna come in NA.

Mark Flood - 6/188 - Puck-Moving D... Didn't signed by the team. Had good season in the juniors, and is now a regular AHL'er for the Syracuse Crunch(signed with Columbus). Somehow, I think the Habs could really have used right now (probably not in Montreal, but at the very least, in Hamilton)... Seriously, I don't know what happened with him. Seems to have developped extremely well at his 1st year with the pros.

Will finish later, must reboot... Korpikari and Halak remains.

fullmetalninja

Jan 11, 2003
Chicago
Chicago Blackhawks:

14 D Brent Seabrook: Solid NHL Dman at the very least, Solid Top Pairing guy very possible. Was a good pick as it was considered a "reach" at the time.

52 G Corey Crawford: Having a great year in the AHL thus far, struggled in the NHL last season. I think the pad adjustment set him back some, but I still think he has a shot at an NHL starting position. Crawford was a solid pick-- as he was slated higher as I recall.

59 D Michal Barinka: Not made for the "New" NHL, was the 2nd component in the trade to bring in Havlat... So not bad.

151 D Lasse Kukkonen: Best Dman on the Hawks currently. Poor man's Lydman.

156 L Alexei Ivanov: Didn't pan out.

181 C Johan Andersson: Not a bad player, but not NHL quality. Too slow.

211 G Mike Brodeur: Has always been good, and always been hurt. Too bad but he has little shot at pro hockey.

245 D Dustin Byfuglien: Question marks are still out there, but could up being the steal of the draft at pick #245. Best player in Norfolk according to the coach, played as if he will be a long time NHL'r in his call up last year.

275 D Michael Grenzy: Big and Slow, Probably bottom of the roster AHL player.

282 F Chris Porter: Quality Grinder, leadership type. LIttle offensive upside. Could make the NHL as a PK'r//Grinder. ((Plays very similar to Burish)).

In All the Hawks drafted 3 NHL calibre Dmen (with Byfuglien a wild card for sure), Barinka who helped get Havlat, Crawford who still has a significant NHL upside (although you can just never tell with Goalies) and Porter who has a shot as a bottom of the roster Pk'er/Grinder.

Certainly a quality draft (with 4 solid assets added). There are two potential top of the roster players (Seabrook and Crawford)-- both of whom the jury is still out on (although less so with Seabrook).

-fullmetalninja

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
New York Rangers

(Grades are not just a player grade, but really a grade taking into thought where the player was picked, what he has become so far, if he's still in the team's plans, and if there were better players available when he was selected)

12 Hugh Jessiman W: Starting to finally look like a legitimate prospect. Missed a full year of development a few years ago and is finally starting to develop more in the AHL. Had a few great pre-season games and a solid camp. Way too early to write him off. D+

50 Ivan Baranka D: Looks to be a solid pick. Might not take him above a guy like O'Sullivan, but he's still going to be a good player. Looked great in pre-season and has a nasty streak to his game. B

75 Kenny Roche C/W: Looking good at the NCAA level. Should definitely get a pro contract. There were better options at his pick level, but he still could be a player. C

122 Corey Potter D: On an AHL contract right now. Looked great in NCAA play and decent so far in pro play. I had a lot of hope for him so hopefully he can come through on it. C

149 Nigel Dawes W: One of the steals of the draft. Played a few NHL games while getting minimal ice time and put up a few points. Once he gets going, I expect great things. A

176 Ivan Dornic C: Not in the team's plans, really. F

179 Phillip Furrer D: Had a decent prospects camp. Might still be on the radar. Probably not, though. C-

180 Chris Holt G: Could develop into a back-up goaltender at the NHL level. Solid pick this late in the draft. Might be something, might not be. C

209 Dylan Reese D: Has looked good in college so far. Hoping he gets a pro contract. He should, anyway. Solid pick. C+

243 Jan Marek C/W: Absolutely destroying the RSL right now. Marek hasn't shown much willingness to come over to the NHL, but if he does he can certainly make some noise. B

Dawes and Baranka really make this draft decent currently. There are major question marks on guys like Potter, Jessiman, and Reese right now and they have a lot to prove to the organization. Jessiman has ELITE potential, but his mental game is very much in question. Marek, if he comes over and performs like he is now in the RSL, could really turn it into a successful draft year.

Overall Grade:

C -- if Jessiman busts
B -- if Jessiman proves to be a NHLer.

J17 Vs Proclamation

Oct 29, 2004
Reading.
Florida had an awesome draft, or so it seemed a year or two afterwards. Every team appears to have had a great draft a year or so afterwards. I mean every poster on this board believes they acquired a steal in the 06 draft, and had an awesome draft. We all know this will not be the case down the line.

#3 Horton - I still like the pick. Huge upsides, if he reaches the upsides then he will be one of best 3 players from this draft. Still has issues he needs to sort out. Playing on our top line now, after being demoted earlier for poor play. Could go either way IMO. Either a fustrating and streaky second liner or the best powerfoward in the NHL. A

#25 Anthony Stewart - Looking like a bust now. Has the ability to dominate, but lacks the effort. Last year things seemed to be going well, 5 points in 5 games in the A, 3 Points in 10 games in the NHL before a season ending injury. Sucked this year ... i dunno, isn't looking like a good pick. C

#38 Kamil Kreps - Again probably another bust. Still has a shot at the NHL though. Like Stewart, sucked in the AHL. Two years in the AHL before that, and hasn't progressed much. He was slated as a possible 1st rounder before the draft. D+

#55 Stefan Meyer - Been disappointing in the A so far after a solid debut season in the Pros. Offensive upside question marks reminds. I can see him being a grinder in the NHL either way. C

#105 Martin Lojek - Huge, slow Dman. Has been solid in the AHL this year with a team leading +8. May make the show as a #6 Dmen, but nothing more than depth. C -

#124 James Pemberton - Fallen of the radar. Bust U

#141 Dan Travis - When we wern't allowed to select Ovechkin, we took Travis instead. Fell of the radar, but apparently is playing well in college this year. Unlikely to make the show C+

#162 Martin Tuma - Indentical pick to Lojek. Childhood friends, both huge dmen. Lojek seems to be the better of the two however. Tuma is a decent enough player, but will never be more than an AHL Dman. D

#265 Tarner Glass - Still in college, not developed much. Bust. F

Roussin scored huge with Crosby. He also produced alot with Rimouski when Crosby wasn't playing, so he was cleary a very good Junior player. Thats all however. I think we intended to sign him, but didn't and the Kings took him with their second pick in the 2005 draft. Last time i heard he was in the ECHL and not doing very well. Skating was his issue if i recall.

If Horton turns out to be the superstar we think he will be, the draft is awesome. Apart from that it looks pretty awful. If Horton doesn't turn out that well, dear god. We may have managed to turn the best draft potentially ever into the 1999 draft.

Last edited:

Heat McManus

Nov 27, 2003
Alexandria, VA
NJ Devils

1/17 C Zach Parise
2/42 C Petr Vrana
3/93 C Ivan Khomutov
5/167 D Zach Tarkir
6/197 G Jason Smith
8/261 C Joey Tenute
9/292 Arseny Bondarev

Parise is turning out to be a great pick for the Devils, but other than him there is no sure fire-NHLers on the list. Vrana has had a good rookie season in Albany, but his future is still uncertain. I don't think he has lived up to expectations that were placed on him when he was drafted.

C-

BURY

Oct 15, 2005
Gatineau
Ottawa Senators

(29) Patrick Eaves: Scored 20 goals as a rookie playing only 58 games. On the small side (5'11) but plays with a lot of heart and grit. A

(67) Igor Mirnov: Always improving in the RSL looks like a good pick but with the Kaigorodov fiasco we never know. B

(100) Philippe Seydoux: Defenseman who plays a solid defensive game but has seem to fall off the radar. E

(135) Mattias Karlsson: Defenseman currently playing in the SEL. Has no point in 3 seasons in the SEL playing for Brynas IF Gavle. Very limited potential. D

(142) Tim Cook: I know very little about him. Seems like a bust. E

(166) Sergei Gimayev: Another russian playing in the RSL. Seems to put up reasonable numbers but will he ever come to NA ? C

(228) Will Colbert: Local boy, never signed. Reentered the draft and was picked by San Jose. F

(260) Ossi Louhivaara: Putting up some point in the Sm-Liiga playing for JyP HT Jyvaskyla. Doesn't seem like much but may surprise. C

(291) Brian Elliott: May be a steal for the Sens. Was a finalist for the Hobey Baker award last year while posting tremendous numbers for U of Wisconsin. Started a bit more slowly this year, weaker team in front of him ? Still a very good prospect. B

So overall a so-so draft for the Sens with 1 player in the NHL, 2 players having good chances of making it there and 2 others who might make it somehow but have slim chances.

Starsdude

Jul 7, 2002
Visit site
Dallas took Erikkson Polak and Crombeen in the second round. Erikkson will be an NHLer, Polak needs to gain weight consistency and Crombeen sucks. They should have taken O'Sully. No one else other than Nickerson has any chance and he has only a small one given his skating

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
Blues - This was the first draft year under much heralded Jarmo Kekalainen.....some good picks....some not so good picks:

30 D Shawn Belle - Zero hockey sense, and was since spun for Jason Bacashihua. I'd be surprised if Belle ever becomes a regular NHL'er.
62 F David Backes - Power-forward in the making, should see full-time NHL action next season. Could be a 30-30-60 type guy.
84 G Konstantin Barulin - Solid goaltending prospect, though burried in the Blues depth chart with little expectations of ever leaving RSL...at least not for St. Louis. NHL potential.
88 D Zack Fitzgerald - Mean defenseman. Needs to work on skating, but could be #6D/enforcer if he reaches his potential.
101 L Konstantin Zakharov - Slick forward, but slight frame and little toughness. Unlikely to reach NHL though currently contributing in the AHL.
127 C Alexandre Bolduc - Career minor leaguer, no longer STL property.
148 F Lee Stempniak - Only contributor on NHL level to this point for Blues. Solid 2nd or 3rd line winger with a knack for finishing.
159 G Chris Beckford-Tseu - Solid netminder for ECHL champions last season, but burried in the Blues goaltending depth chart. NHL potential...but likely for another club.
189 C Jonathan Lehun - Career minor leaguer.
221 L Evgeny Skachkov - Unlikely to ever leave Russia.
253 D Andrei Pervyshin - See Skachkov
284 F Tapio Aaltonen - (better known as Juha-Matti) broke out last year in Finland, and could surprise and become a top-6 NHL forward. Closer to bust than boom on the famous HF scale, though.

Overall, I'd give this draft a B-. Backes & Stempniak could be only NHL'ers produced, though Belle, Barulin, Beckford-Tseu, Aaltonen & Fitzgerald all still have hopes of making the NHL, in theory.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
6-Milan Michalek-Might have been better options at this point (Dion Phaneuf), but this is still an absolutely great pick. Michalek leads the Sharks in goals this year and is finally showing his offensive flair. Should top out as a first-line winger. In the entire draft, only Phaneuf is clearly going to be better than Michalek. Also, this was a very obvious pick for the Sharks, so I can't credit them for a "wonderful find". B+

16-Steve Bernier-A pick that was very questionable at the time, Patrice Bergeron is the only player taken after #16 that I would for-sure take over Bernier. Getzlaf, Richards, Weber, and Carle could have bigger impacts but Bernier could be one of the top power-forwards of his generation. Even if he doesn't make it to that level, he still will be a solid first-line winger who can chip in 30+ goals. However, I still think Doug Wilson did not have to trade up to get this pick. A-

43-Josh Hennessy-He left the orginzation, that sucks, but he was still a solid pick, and the fact that Ottawa asked for him in the Mark Bell trade tells me he has hidden potential. He has second-line potential and will likely be a very good third-line player in the Niklas Sundstrom mold. There were clearly better choices at this spot: O'Sullivan, Carle, Weber, Bergeron. B

47-Matt Carle-Absolutely stellar pick. Though Doug Wilson could probably have taken him later, Carle is proving to be one of the steals of the draft. He could be the highest-scoring, second-best defenseman in this draft (after Phaneuf), and he will likely be one of the top NHL defensemen in his prime. A

139-Patrick Ehelechner-Another guy the Sharks could have gotten a little later, Ehelecher was useful since he got the second-round pick from Pittsburgh Still, in the fifth round, Ehelechner was not a bad pick and has solid backup potential. He is an absolutely stellar team player and a solid leader. Better options at this pick were there, however. C+

201-Jonathan Tremblay- You want to give Wilson an F for this pick, but Tremblay at least is contributing at the AHL/ECHL level and is an enforcer for the team. I can't see Tremblay even developing into a marginal talent, but at least Wilson got a player, who at the time, filled an orginizational need. There were still guys like Paetsch, Pavelski, O'Brien, Byfuglien, Tarnasky, and Elliot at the table. D

205-Joe Pavelski A stellar pick, Pavelski was probably the best pick that Sharks could have made in the last three rounds, and he should shape up to be an NHLer. Pavelski will easily develop second-line offensive talents, and while his strength and defensive prowess aren't quite there, Pavelski should at least end up a clutch third-line center who is great at faceoffs and on the powerplay. A

216-Kai Hospelt-Longshot at ever coming over to the NHL, and there were better options at this pick. However, Hospelt as least has AHL dreams, so I can't knock the Sharks completely. D+

236-Alexander Hult-I can't imagine why the Sharks drafted him. Bad pick then, bad pick now, especially when Shane O'Brien was taken less than twenty spots later. F

267-Brian O'Hanley-A decent puck-moving defenseman who jumps in too readily and doesn't have the frame for the NHL. He does have some potential, but I don't think he will get a contract with San Jose, a team loaded with depth on defense. But he wasn't a bad pick at this point, and, really, who was left? At least he has some potential, so I have to give San Jose some credit. C+

276-Carter Lee-Has a goal-scorer's touch, and pretty much it. I haven't followed Lee too much, but its safe to say that he is an extreme longshot to make the AHL, let alone the NHL. With such a late pick, San Jose had few options, but Hendrikx, Jones, and Tarnasky were all available. I can understand why San Jose didn't pick up Brian Elliot (I am 95% sure they knew he was a good talent, but decided they had too much depth to pick him). F

pitseleh

Jul 30, 2005
Vancouver
Vancouver

Ryan Kesler - at least he's an NHL player, but there were definitely better picks available. C

Marc-Andre Bernier - nothing special, AHLer at best, but there wasn't really anyone selected after him that did anything either, other than Howard. C

Brandon Nolan - didn't really do anything, wasn't anything special. D

Ty Morris - yuck. D

Nicklas Danielsson - see above. D

Chad Brownlee - as a sixth rounder, you don't expect much. C

FP Guenette - soft, AHLer at best, but I guess not bad for a 7th rounder. C

Sergei Topol - see Morris. C

Nathan McIver - kind of sad he's our second best pick. Will probably become a solid #6/7 guy. B

Matthew Hansen - whatever, he's a ninth rounder. C

Overall I'd rate our draft a D. Other than Kesler, we didn't really do anything. It's troubling that outside of McIver (and maybe Bernier), we didn't even really get anybody who would qualify as AHL fodder.

Abyss

GO BRUINS
Jun 20, 2005
CT
21 Mark Stuart...hard to judge so far, based on being picked 21st i'd say B- to B or so, but could still improve easily to a better grade.
45 Patrice Bergeron...yeah...A
66 Masi Marjamaki - drafted in 05 by the Isles...F
107 Byron Bitz - I like him, still has potential...good NCAA player, haven't seen enough though...C
118 Frank Rediker-ECHL/AHLer...F
129 Patrik Valcak-who?...F
153 Mike Brown-ECHL/AHL goalie..D
183 Nate Thompson-AHLer who'll get injury call ups...C-
247 Benoit Mondou-ECHL/AHLer career guy most likely...F
277 Kevin Regan-good NCAA career so far...INC

Overall I'd say the draft gets a B for the Bruins, and that's basically just because of Bergeron.

HuskyFlames

Jan 12, 2004
Flames:

Dion Phaneuf - A+
- 1st round
- already a top pairing defenseman. Making an impact in the NHL.

Tim Ramholt - C
- 2nd round
- came over afetr being drafted and had a very good year. Next season, went back home and had a terrible year. This year he came back, in the AHL and is getting better. Could be a future NHL defenseman. Needs to improve fast in order to make up for stalled development.

These are the only 2 decent picks from the year IMO.

NOTENOUGHJTCGOALS

Feb 28, 2006
Vancouver

Ryan Kesler - at least he's an NHL player, but there were definitely better picks available. C

Marc-Andre Bernier - nothing special, AHLer at best, but there wasn't really anyone selected after him that did anything either, other than Howard. C

Brandon Nolan - didn't really do anything, wasn't anything special. D

Ty Morris - yuck. D

Nicklas Danielsson - see above. D

Chad Brownlee - as a sixth rounder, you don't expect much. C

FP Guenette - soft, AHLer at best, but I guess not bad for a 7th rounder. C

Sergei Topol - see Morris. C

Nathan McIver - kind of sad he's our second best pick. Will probably become a solid #6/7 guy. B

Matthew Hansen - whatever, he's a ninth rounder. C

Overall I'd rate our draft a D. Other than Kesler, we didn't really do anything. It's troubling that outside of McIver (and maybe Bernier), we didn't even really get anybody who would qualify as AHL fodder.

Agreed. One NHL calibre player, and a mediocre one at that. Horrid.

Jeffrey

Feb 2, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Montreal:
Andrei Kostitsyn: Right now a F, could become a B... but time is getting real short need to show more desire, because we know he has the skills to play in the NHL!
Cory Urquhart: F !!! complete failure, worst pick in the draft BY FAR !!! especially with the players available.
Maxim Lapierre: B the only real bright spot to montreal for the 2003 draft, should become an EXCELLENT 3rd liner(best prospect in Hamilton right now) and one of the best grinder you can find, should make the NHL real soon.
Ryan O'byrne: He's a monster on the ice with his speed and stature (6'5 225). He plays a tough games and showed good progress during his career, Should play 2 more years in the AHL, but he clearly look that with the right development he could make the NHL, I rate him a C
Corey Locke: What you see is what you get, good hockey player and desire but lack something on about everything from size to skating to strenght,etc..
he could make the NHL but he's a long shot. I give him a D(because of his success in the AHL)
Danny Stewart: F, bust, next.
Christopher Heino-Lindberg: Showed good progression in the last 3 years but he looks like he's starting to regress and might never come to North America, I give him a E just for the small hope.
Mark Flood: not that bad for a 6 round pick but a bust for montreal, could make the NHL with columbus but he's still a very longshot. F!
Oskari Korpikari: Showed constency in the FNL but never looked to dominate in anyway, should never make it in north america. E!
Jimmy Bonneau: Very long shot, if he make it it would be as an enforcer. I'll give him a E because he still a not that bad hockey player(for an enforcer).
Jaroslav Halak: Well another guy that show potential and a STEAL in the 9th round. He has looked amazing in the AHL and if i consider where he was taken B+, might become A(if he make it to the NHL) and A+ if he make it as a starter.

Lapierre and Halak are the only one I could consider steal.

Kostitysn is not THAT bad but if you consider the player that was drafted around him you can't be happy with him. He's still the wildcard from the draft and could change an horrible draft to a solid draft all by himself, but again time is getting real short.

O'byne show potential and could make the NHL. I like him personally but he has too show good progression in the AHL.

The rest is from below average to crap !

In general I give this draft an F with a possibility to C if Lapierre,Halak, O'byrne and Kostitsyn can make it with the big league :banghead: .

Cliff O Malley

Aug 4, 2006
I DUNNO?
Pens:

1. Marc-Andre Fluery - Finally looking like the goaltender that they wanted. He will be amazing in the near-future

A

32. Ryan Stone - Everyone is high on this guy, fairly productive in the AHL, might be up soon

B-

70. Johnathan Filewich - Very good offensively, should be up next year

A-

73. Daniel Carcillo - Love him. He is a madman. An ideal 4th liner

B

121. Paul Bissonnette - Saw him the other day with the Wheeling Nailers, seems decent enough

C-

161. Evgeny Isakov - ???

169. Lukas Bolf - Not the greatest, might get to the AHL in his career

D

199. Andy Chiodo - He will be missed. Would have been solid backup NHL'er, or an amazing AHL goalie

B-

229. Stephen Dixon - Don't know much about him, but some Pen fans are high on him. Don't know enough to grade him.

232. Joe Jensen - Career AHL'er

C

263. Matt Moulson - Could be the steal of the draft. Still in college right now, but expect him to be the next Marek Svatos. (i. e. late-rounder to score big)

A

Overall: A-

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
well detroit never has high picks in the draft and this year is no exeption.

#64 jim howard. future starter. A

#132 kyle quincey. i have to say this is a great pick this low. could develop into a top 4 d-man. B+

#164 ryan oulahen. i dont know. doesnt look to good. will probably stay in the minors for he's entire career. E

#170 andreas sundin. never turned in to anything. didn't even get a place with a sel team. plays in the finnish divison-1 now. F

#194 stefan blom. terrible!! plays in the swedish division-1 tier III in sweden. will never turn into anything. F

#226 tomas kollar. had a couple of ok seasons in the sel. plays in the swedish allsvenskan now. will never play in NA. F

#258 vladimir kutny. a couple of not so good season in in the Q. plays in the cech extre league now and is a fringe player. F

#289 mikael johansson. a fringe player in the sel. will probably never come to NA. F

overall its not a very good draft by the wings. we usually find something special in the late rounds, but not this time. other then howard and quincey it looks terrible.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Zounds, I knew Nashville had a great year, but I wasn't aware San Jose picked all those kids in 2003. Michalek, Bernier, Carle...that's an absolutely stellar draft class for one team.

Abyss

GO BRUINS
Jun 20, 2005
CT
263. Matt Moulson - Could be the steal of the draft. Still in college right now, but expect him to be the next Marek Svatos. (i. e. late-rounder to score big)

A

Overall: A-

He was signed by the Kings over the summer i believe...playing in the AHL.

kruezer

Apr 21, 2002
North Bay
Zounds, I knew Nashville had a great year, but I wasn't aware San Jose picked all those kids in 2003. Michalek, Bernier, Carle...that's an absolutely stellar draft class for one team.
No kidding, and Hennessy was a wicked pick as well IMO, he will be a solid NHLer soon enough. Pavelski is lighting up the AHL right now too, just an amazing class.

The Viking Fury

Nov 28, 2005
I don't remember who the caps picked after Fehr at the moment, but Fehr is doing pretty well. Followed his draft year with 2 50 goal seasons in the W. Started in the AHL last year played pretty well until he hit the rookie wall, had to be benched in a few playoff games to get him to stop being invisible, but when he came back he blasted a slapshot in OT of Game 7 to send the Bears to the finals. A great great freaking AHL game that was, considering all the circumstances.

EDIT: Forgot we got Werner in that draft in the third round. McPhee says he has "NHL legs" I'm guessing that means he's a good skater. PLaying his first pro season now, had two fights.

Also got Valdix who seemed to drop off the face of the earth as far as our prospect awareness goes.

Josh Robertson who is still in college. Don't know much about him though.

Mark Olafson...?

okay draft two guys have come out of it to play in the AHL right now.

Last edited:

Randall Graves*

Anaheim:

Ryan Getzlaf #19: For whatever reason fell a little lower than he was projected to go, dominated the AHL in his stint there last year, returned to Anaheim and averaged a PPG, looks to be a 2 way first line center capable of 80-90 points. A

Corey Perry #28: Anaheim traded 2 second rounders for what was perceived as a gamble at the time and it looks like it may pay off. Has excellent offensive ability, has a way of getting under peoples skin and plays great on the walls. Won the Memorial cup MVP over Crosby, and like Getzlaf dominated the AHL in his stint. A

Shane Hynes #86: 3rd or 4th liner at best, has been injury prone. D

Juha Alen #90: Will likely never be a regular NHL'er, will be lucky to play in the league at all. F

Nathan Saunders #119: Has a bit of potential as a tough bottom pairing defensemen but is injury prone. D

Drew Miller #186: Very solid 2 way player at Michigan State, has entered the AHL and played really well for the Pirates in the AHL, he'll either be a very good 3rd liner or average to mediocre 2nd liner. B

Dirk Southern #218: He's gotten a look but he probably won't ever play for Anaheim, but at this point it's a crap shoot. D

Shane O'Brien #250: Has improved a ton since being drafted, he skates really well. Tough hard nosed defensemen who has some nice offensive upside. B

Ville Mantymaa #280: If he ever decides to come to North America he could play in the NHL but not for Anaheim most likely. D

Overall this draft looks like it'll produce a first line center, a pretty high scoring winger, a good two way top 9 guy and a top 4 defensemen. Pretty pleased so far

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
well detroit never has high picks in the draft and this year is no exeption.

#64 jim howard. future starter. A

#132 kyle quincey. i have to say this is a great pick this low. could develop into a top 4 d-man. B+

#164 ryan oulahen. i dont know. doesnt look to good. will probably stay in the minors for he's entire career. E

#170 andreas sundin. never turned in to anything. didn't even get a place with a sel team. plays in the finnish divison-1 now. F

#194 stefan blom. terrible!! plays in the swedish division-1 tier III in sweden. will never turn into anything. F

#226 tomas kollar. had a couple of ok seasons in the sel. plays in the swedish allsvenskan now. will never play in NA. F

#258 vladimir kutny. a couple of not so good season in in the Q. plays in the cech extre league now and is a fringe player. F

#289 mikael johansson. a fringe player in the sel. will probably never come to NA. F

overall its not a very good draft by the wings. we usually find something special in the late rounds, but not this time. other then howard and quincey it looks terrible.

Oulahen is a defensive center. I think he'll make it. He's a great skater, faceoffs, PK, etc...

Think Draper, style wise.

With the first pick at #64 the Wings did very well in this one IMO. Good goalie and likely 2nd pairing D and a 3rd/4th liner. Nill has gone on the record hoping for one NHLer per draft. This could/should be three.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->