Rate this prospect. Maxim Kondratiev

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joey24

Mar 9, 2002
New Zealand
I was wondering what other ppl around these boards thought of the young Maple Leafs defenceman "Maxim Kondratiev". He has been quite a plesent suprise in camp for the Leafs brass. I was looking for some unbiost thoughts from some fans of HFB to post a reply to this thread. Thanks.

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site
Joey24 said:
I was wondering what other ppl around these boards thought of the young Maple Leafs defenceman "Maxim Kondratiev". He has been quite a plesent suprise in camp for the Leafs brass. I was looking for some unbiost thoughts from some fans of HFB to post a reply to this thread. Thanks.

I had no opinion on Kondratiev before camp because the only time I'd seen him play was in the WJC and he didn't get much ice time. Right now I'd have to compare him with Andrei Markov. The two attributes that make Kondratiev special are his strong skating stride and powerful shot. He still commits too many turnovers but he has the tools to be a top pairing guy.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
I've become incredibly confused by Kondratiev.

While he was over in Russia and when we drafted him, we heard about a strong, physical stay at home defenseman who was going to have a chance to be a rock, lower potential defenseman in the NHL.

The Kondratiev that has been at Leafs camp this year, is the exact and complete opposite. He's been a force offensively, controlling the point, showing great will to carry the puck. But his defensive zone coverage has been poor and his level of physical play a bit of a concern.

WHo is the real Kondratiev here?

Could we be dealing with another Sergei Gonchar type of situation. Gonchar if you remember was drafted and labeled a stay at home defenseman. And well in the NHL, obviously thats not the case.

The only other thing i can think of is Kondratiev is trying to impress Leafs brass with his first camp by really going full tilt offensively. Maybe feeling the pressure to perform at that end?

V for Voodoo

Nov 7, 2002
Boom Shaka-Laka.
Visit site
kondratiev mentioned he enjoyed playing at leafs camp because he was allowed to be creative offensively, as opposed to the defensive system his team in russia employed. someting tells me this kid has offensive talent, and that he finally has the chance to show it off. gonchar is a good comparison (similar situation, not players)

Joey24

Mar 9, 2002
New Zealand
Yeah everytying I read about this guy has him pined as a defencive specialest who loves to throw his body around. So far in camp he's been playing a totally different game and it's been working for him though he is seeming to forget a little bit about his defencive game he is still impressing alot of people. I hope he stays in NA if he does not make the squad and plays for SJM...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->