Rate the best goalies in each of the big 7 hockey nations!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Kanadensisk

May 13, 2005
Here is my take on who the best goalie is from each of the seven hockey nations. In my opinion the team with the best man between the pipes is going to leave Turin with gold around their necks!

Hasek (Czk) A+
Brodeur (Can) A
Khabibulin (Rus) A
Kiprusoff (Fin) A-
Esche (USA) B
Lundqvuist (Swe) C+
Budaj (Svk) D

I also graded each player on how well I expect they would play under the Olympic spotlight.

Den

Aug 9, 2005
Stockholm
www.recdir.com
I think Kipper is actually A+, and Hashek, Khaby, Lundquist and Budaj are probably just contenders for "the best of their nation", not 100% best

Robertsson 4-ever

Jan 26, 2004
Wexio
Den said:
I think Kipper is actually A+, and Hashek, Khaby, Lundquist and Budaj are probably just contenders for "the best of their nation", not 100% best

Lundqvist is the numer one in Sweden, no doubt.

Mr Kanadensisk

May 13, 2005
Den said:
So who do you think Slovakia, Czech Republic, Russia and Sweden's best goalies are?
Vokoun is looking pretty good, but he's going to have to win something bigger than the world championships to convince me he is great!

Den

Aug 9, 2005
Stockholm
www.recdir.com
Mr Kanadensisk said:
So who do you think Slovakia, Czech Republic, Russia and Sweden's best goalies are?
Vokoun is looking pretty good, but he's going to have to win something bigger than the world championships to convince me he is great!

I think Vokoun will be the starter. So will be Lasak. Khaby will split with Nabokov. Sweden, I am not sure.

Gozer

Sep 22, 2005
Västerås
As "Robertsson 4-ever" said, Lundqvist is Swedens number one for sure. Just thinking about any other being in the net makes me shudder

McGuillicuddy

Sep 6, 2005
I think Luongo might be up there as well. Brodeur has been mediocre and has had some injury issues. I would rate him A+; best pure puckstopper in the world right now.

Slitty

Oct 23, 2005
arrbez said:
can we confirm that Russia will bring at least one of their quality goaltenders this time?

Both Khabby and Nabby will be there if not injured. Although, despite that 100% statement by the national coach, Khabby has not been impressive as of late and Nabby is injured.

Bryzgalov, according to the coach, stands no chance unless he replaces Gigure as Anahiem's #1 in the near future.

There are plenty of decent goalies in the RSL that could handle the job, the leader of which is probably Maxim Sokolov, the 1998 Olympic Silver Medal team's starting goalie.

Den

Aug 9, 2005
Stockholm
www.recdir.com
Slitty said:
There are plenty of decent goalies in the RSL that could handle the job, the leader of which is probably Maxim Sokolov, the 1998 Olympic Silver Medal team's starting goalie.

Yea, this's a load of... Shtalenkov and Trefilov split the games that time around. I think Nabokov will be the strater.

Slitty

Oct 23, 2005
Den said:
Yea, this's a load of... Shtalenkov and Trefilov split the games that time around. I think Nabokov will be the strater.

My bad, I thought it was Sokolov. He usually plays Worlds. :innocent:

Marcus-74

Apr 27, 2005
Slitty said:

Oh no, not the dreaded Mr. Sokolov :eek: ! Ok fine; he usually plays a couple of great games but then otherwise sucks his way through the WC tournaments...

He just isn´t a goalie who wins Olympic golds!

B Boarding

Feb 26, 2005
Stockholm, Sweden
Mr Kanadensisk said:
Here is my take on who the best goalie is from each of the seven hockey nations. In my opinion the team with the best man between the pipes is going to leave Turin with gold around their necks!

Hasek (Czk) A+
Brodeur (Can) A
Khabibulin (Rus) A
Kiprusoff (Fin) A-
Esche (USA) B
Lundqvuist (Swe) C+
Budaj (Svk) D

I also graded each player on how well I expect they would play under the Olympic spotlight.

As I have been following Lundqvist closely for several years, I think you underrate him. He is a better goalie than Kipper for example. He showed that in the SEL and has done that in the NHL so far this season. He is going to end up top 5 in savepercentage at the end of the season, I'm sure of it. I would give him A or A-.

Hasek A
Brodeur A
(Luongo) A
Khabibulin A-
(Nabby) B
Lundqvist A-
Budaj C-
Kiprusoff B+
Esche B
(DiPietro) B

The only goalie ever I would give A+ is Hasek in his prime. For an A+ you need to be almost Gretzky/Lemieuxlike to earn it...in IMHO.

RorschachWJK

Dec 28, 2004
B Boarding said:
As I have been following Lundqvist closely for several years, I think you underrate him. He is a better goalie than Kipper for example. He showed that in the SEL and has done that in the NHL so far this season. He is going to end up top 5 in savepercentage at the end of the season, I'm sure of it. I would give him A or A-.

Hasek A
Brodeur A
(Luongo) A
Khabibulin A-
(Nabby) B
Lundqvist A-
Budaj C-
Kiprusoff B+
Esche B
(DiPietro) B

The only goalie ever I would give A+ is Hasek in his prime. For an A+ you need to be almost Gretzky/Lemieuxlike to earn it...in IMHO.

I don't think Brodeur deserves an A at this point. He needs to improve a lot for that. Right now I'd give him a B.

B Boarding

Feb 26, 2005
Stockholm, Sweden
pihinalle said:

Well, when Kipper and Lundqvist has been competing on the same level Lundy has been clearly better. Both last year in the SEL and this year in NHL. But I guess time will tell...and I'm confident I'm not wrong...:)

vitogor

Oct 26, 2002
Minnesota
Visit site
Excuse my lack of knowledge, but I thought Nabokov wasn't allowed to play for Russia in IIHF competitions. Has something changed that I don't know about?

EDIT: Ok, I just saw Nabokov on Russia's Long List, so I guess he is cleared. I must have missed it.

Last edited:

Slitty

Oct 23, 2005
#16 said:
Excuse my lack of knowledge, but I thought Nabokov wasn't allowed to play for Russia in IIHF competitions. Has something changed that I don't know about?

EDIT: Ok, I just saw Nabokov on Russia's Long List, so I guess he is cleared. I must have missed it.

He wasn't.

He took his specific case to the IIHF and was allowed to switch countries as him playing for Kazahstan was a result of him being the victim of breaking up nations and political as well as nationalistic confusion.

Then again, maybe he obtained Russian citizenship and played 4 proffessional seasons in Russia, as required by some (past or present, not sure) IIHF rules to play for a different country.

I cant remember which one it was, or maybe a combination of both... but Nabokov is fully eligible to play for Russia at all IIHF sanctioned events. :handclap:

McGuillicuddy

Sep 6, 2005
B Boarding said:
Well, when Kipper and Lundqvist has been competing on the same level Lundy has been clearly better. Both last year in the SEL and this year in NHL. But I guess time will tell...and I'm confident I'm not wrong...:)

I don't think you can confidently say either Kipper of Lundqvist has been better than the other this year. Kipper's stats have suffered because for most of the first 5+ games of the season his team was absolutely hanging him out to dry. For a couple of the early blowouts Calgary suffered the general consensus is that the entire team save Kipper mailed in their performances. Since the Flames defense has come into form, Kipper's numbers have improved drastically (0.930 SP in last 10 games).

Mr Kanadensisk

May 13, 2005
It is hard to rate goalies until you have seen them play under the pressure of the Stanley Cup playoffs, Olympics or World Cup. The best players in the world all compete in those tournaments, and you can't say that about the SEL, RSL, or World Championships. Kipper proved a lot by making it to the finals with both Calgary and Team Finland.
I think Lundqvist is going to be really good, but let's see how he does in Turin against lines with players like Ovechkin, Kovalchuk, Datsyuk (yikes!!).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->