Prospect Info: Rasmus Asplund (2016, 33rd) –- Loaned to Vasteras (HockeyAllsvenskan)

Sleestak Nation

Jul 6, 2009
Land of the Lost
At this point I'm willing to play Joe Thornton and go pick him up at the airport (even though I don't live anywhere nearby).

Although I'm not sure it would have the same impact.:rolleyes:

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Future Watch 2018: the NHL's top 10 falling prospects | The Hockey News

FUTURE WATCH 2018: THE NHL'S TOP 10 FALLING PROSPECTS
9. RASMUS ASPLUND, C, BUFFALO SABRES (-43)
Last year: 39th
This year: 82nd

Was Asplund’s ceiling overestimated a bit? In Future Watch 2017, he was labelled a “supreme playmaker.” In 2018: “he grinds it out with a decent dose of skill. Good speed, but he could use more creativity.” Sounds like he’s starting to project to something more like a second-line talent than a first-line talent. It’s tough to evaluate him properly until he tries his hand at the North American pro game, which he likely will soon after four seasons with Farjestad of the Swedish League. Might he be a trade candidate? The Sabres have Jack Eichel, Ryan O’Reilly and, eventually, Future Watch No. 1 overall prospect Casey Mittelstadt at center, so where would Asplund slot into the lineup? He has two-way ability for sure, but he has more offensive upside than a fourth-line center.

Royal Thunder

Frolunda Mode
Feb 21, 2012
Regarding the above quote... I haven't seen anyone regard him as a first line talent. More like a very good 3C.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Glad they took into account him being scum-shotted by "Good Canadian Olympian" Noah Welch this season. No one ever takes a little while to get back from a concussion. Nope. Nothing to see here.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Glad they took into account him being scum-shotted by "Good Canadian Olympian" Noah Welch this season. No one ever takes a little while to get back from a concussion. Nope. Nothing to see here.

Suffers a serious concussion, produces more in all categories with a more responsible role(from my limited reading on him), yet drops 43 places because "we thought he was a fancy playmaker, but we don't like the more consistent effective responsible game he played this year".

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Suffers a serious concussion, produces more in all categories with a more responsible role(from my limited reading on him), yet drops 43 places because "we thought he was a fancy playmaker, but we don't like the more consistent effective responsible game he played this year".

Pretty much. Or said another way "oooo! shiny ball!"

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
No points, 2 shots and 81% at the dot in a 5-0 loss. Amazingly, he was even with 4 ES and 1 SH goal against. Farjestad is now down 2-0 in the series.

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
No points, 2 shots and 81% at the dot in a 5-0 loss. Amazingly, he was even with 4 ES and 1 SH goal against. Farjestad is now down 2-0 in the series.
What are the odds he finishes the season in Rochester if Farjestad is bounced would you guess? Does that happen much with Euro players? Same deal the CM is offered?

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
Is Asplund even going to need time in the AHL? If he does I can’t see it being more then half a season.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Is Asplund even going to need time in the AHL? If he does I can’t see it being more then half a season.
Not sure if he needs AHL.

It’s hard to read much into Botts comments on him beyond he wants to work with him. That could go in a few directions.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Any SHL player can be signed until june 15th, contract or not. No hurry unless he’s going to Rochester.

The comment that he should do all his dev in Sweden was what my response addressed. He is unentangled as soon as this season ends. Sign him.

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
The comment that he should do all his dev in Sweden was what my response addressed. He is unentangled as soon as this season ends. Sign him.
Sorry, missed your point.
I think one more year in FBK could help his offensive development. My suggestion is sign him, bring him over for camp, loan him back to Färjestad if he isn’t close to making the Sabres.
Then bring him over again in january if he’s looking better and let him adjuster in Rochester since we’re probably promoting someone at that point.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Sorry, missed your point.
I think one more year in FBK could help his offensive development. My suggestion is sign him, bring him over for camp, loan him back to Färjestad if he isn’t close to making the Sabres.
Then bring him over again in january if he’s looking better and let him adjuster in Rochester since we’re probably promoting someone at that point.

That could also work. He hasn’t been the same since Welch’s cheapshot.

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
We have Asplund who's played for his national team, we feel a very good 2-way center, we're hopeful we'll communicate with him over the next couple of weeks here, if world championships is an option, we'll certainly let him go through that,if it's not hopefully we can have the possibility of having the discussion of at least getting him down to Rochester.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->