Raptors Discussion: Raptors name Nick Nurse as new head coach

Status
Not open for further replies.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Why do I suspect that you were saying exactly the same thing about GS two years ago and when they went up 3-1 you were gloating - see, I told you guys, it was so obvious.

Cleveland had a really good team at the time, did they not? This Cleveland team is not good. You're fooling yourself if you think they have much of chance against Houston or GS this year. Cleveland is not steam rolling through the crappy east this time. Boston with Irving and Hayward would beat Cleveland, the way things look now.

Last edited:

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Cleveland had a really good team at the time, did they not? This Cleveland team is not good. You're fooling yourself if you think they have much of chance against Houston or GS this year.

I take this to mean that yes, you were saying the same things two years ago.

My point has nothing to do with how good Cleveland was or wasn't or is or isn't. My point is that we are all wrong at times so a little humility now might mean a little less humiliation later.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
I take this to mean that yes, you were saying the same things two years ago.

My point has nothing to do with how good Cleveland was or wasn't or is or isn't. My point is that we are all wrong at times so a little humility now might mean a little less humiliation later.

I wasn't gloating because I knew Cleveland was good. Right now, I don't think they have a chance in the finals should they make it. If I end up being wrong, I am wrong. I don't care. Who cares if I end up being wrong on some anonymous internet forum?

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
There is no saying that Cleveland cant win another championship. Its all about who puts that round thing in the net more at the given time. No reason why Cleveland cant win a Championship again this year. Teams on paper mean nothing!!! All results prior to Finals mean nothing.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I wasn't gloating because I knew Cleveland was good. Right now, I don't think they have a chance in the finals should they make it. If I end up being wrong, I am wrong. I don't care. Who cares if I end up being wrong on some anonymous internet forum?

Haha you have a point there. And I agree Cleveland isn't as good as they were but still, underestimate the Lebron factor at your own peril.

Glenn Isildur Healy

Oct 8, 2013
CBC Studios
Cleveland had a really good team at the time, did they not? This Cleveland team is not good. You're fooling yourself if you think they have much of chance against Houston or GS this year. Cleveland is not steam rolling through the crappy east this time. Boston with Irving and Hayward would beat Cleveland, the way things look now.

I love how hard people are trying to glorify Cleveland in order to justify the Raptors' failures :laugh:
Blindly pretending this team just needs a coaching change and everything will be resolved

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
What should Casey have done to combat Korver/Smith/Green hitting open shots? It's not Casey's fault that Ibaka dogged it and guys like Poetl and Siakim can't handle Kevin Love. Kevin Love after game 1 had 74 points, 33 rebounds, 26-48 shooting. The problem for Casey is for some reason and this is on the roster is their defensive intensity wanes and will absolutely disappear for a quarter or two, quite possibly a whole game. They didn't want to guard anybody against Cleveland, ignored scouting reports and now they are searching for a new coach.

What? Poeltl was only used in situations when Tristan Thompson was in, and even then he never saw the floor as much as he should have. The guys that were guarding Love were JV, Ibaka, and Miles. Siakam was on for LeBron, and clearly it was a Caseyism to allow LeBron to switch for Miles or DeRozan/Lowry at all times and never even bother to attempt to stop it. The culture was supposed to be different, but it was clear his philosophy was still as archaic as ever. The biggest weakness of 2-3 zone defence is perimeter shooting, and it's why they were badly exploited.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
What? Poeltl was only used in situations when Tristan Thompson was in, and even then he never saw the floor as much as he should have. The guys that were guarding Love were JV, Ibaka, and Miles. Siakam was on for LeBron, and clearly it was a Caseyism to allow LeBron to switch for Miles or DeRozan/Lowry at all times and never even bother to attempt to stop it. The culture was supposed to be different, but it was clear his philosophy was still as archaic as ever. The biggest weakness of 2-3 zone defence is perimeter shooting, and it's why they were badly exploited.

A culture does not get changed in one offseason with a lot of the same guys returning. That's the biggest issue and failure by Ujiri if he was going to fire a coach do it after last year being swept. Not the next year after 59 wins talking about a culture reset. I don't think Casey is a great coach but I can't see the Raptors finding a coach that can surpass what Casey did. You talk about adjustments but Casey didn't have many options at his disposal.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
I love how hard people are trying to glorify Cleveland in order to justify the Raptors' failures :laugh:
Blindly pretending this team just needs a coaching change and everything will be resolved

No, it's very clear DeRozan, Ibaka, Miles, and FVV were a part of the problem. To say coaching is not an important part of success is asinine though. The Warriors fired Mark Jackson because he underachieved with a championship calibre squad. Would you be willing to argue that adding Shaun Livingston is the reason why the Warriors went +16 in wins the next season and won a championship? Everyone loves to bring up the Celts' bright future, but Stevens' system is their nucleus.

A culture does not get changed in one offseason with a lot of the same guys returning. That's the biggest issue and failure by Ujiri if he was going to fire a coach do it after last year being swept. Not the next year after 59 wins talking about a culture reset. I don't think Casey is a great coach but I can't see the Raptors finding a coach that can surpass what Casey did. You talk about adjustments but Casey didn't have many options at his disposal.

Well it can change, but as you would admit it starts with the coach. And that's the biggest failure by Ujiri, I agree. Casey should have been fired after the Wizards sweep.

Reactions: Gary Nylund

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
I guess Houston should tear it down as this core obviously isn't going to get it done. Of course the same can be said for pretty much every team in the NBA except for GS and wherever Lebron decides to play next year. It should be interesting with 30 or so teams all battling it out for last place. :laugh::laugh:

What are you even talking about?

Houston is playing a tight series against an elite team. The Raptors were thoroughly dominated in a four game sweep with a particularly embarrassing no show effort in game 4.

Dr.Funk

Jul 2, 2004
The Toronto Raptors brought in San Antonio Spurs assistant coaches Ettore Messina and Ime Udoka to interview for their head-coaching opening on Thursday and Friday, respectively, according to a report from ESPN

Paladin2799

Jul 15, 2009
I think its time to trade demar.

Of course, you look into trading lowry as well, but the PG position is more valuable.

Demar turned into the hero ball player we all know rather then the team oriented player. He was making every awful fadeaway low percentage shot he could in the entire series. Its time to trade him and fill some holes in our team by trading a star in his prime for one. He isn't expiring which in this case is a good thing and we should get maximum value.

New coach, some retooling by trading demar and tinkering in FA, and some progression by OG/Siakam/FVV/Poetl would be great.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
What are you even talking about?

Houston is playing a tight series against an elite team. The Raptors were thoroughly dominated in a four game sweep with a particularly embarrassing no show effort in game 4.

Sarcasm went over your head I guess.

one77

Dec 22, 2013
Dream world:

We hire Udoka, and we make a trade for Kawhi without including Derozan/Anunoby... Something like JV + Wright+ Powell + 1st for Kawhi.
Keep in mind, the Celtics got Kyrie for almost nothing...

Udoka, Nurse

Lowry
Derozan
Kawhi
Anunoby
Ibaka

VanVleet
X
Miles
Siakim
Poeltl

We also keep our mob bench together.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
Dream world:

We hire Udoka, and we make a trade for Kawhi without including Derozan/Anunoby... Something like JV + Wright+ Powell + 1st for Kawhi.
Keep in mind, the Celtics got Kyrie for almost nothing...

Udoka, Nurse

Lowry
Derozan
Kawhi
Anunoby
Ibaka

VanVleet
X
Miles
Siakim
Poeltl

We also keep our mob bench together.
I could get behind this. But Kawhi is not going to come cheap. I don't see how JV works as a center piece to get a legitimate two way superstar in Kawhi. Especially when the first would easily be very late with that lineup. Realistically I see us promoting Nurse to coach and exploring trades for Debo and Lowry. I don't think we have the assets outside of Demar and Kyle to bring in another elite piece to get us over the hump. It will be a while before we're good again, but we've got some promising young players and should fetch big returns each of DD and KL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad