Ranking WC teams

Status
Not open for further replies.

wassup77

Nov 15, 2004
Sweden
Canucksrock said:
Yes but brodeur has in the past won a tourney like this called the olympics, and all teams had their top talent there. Too put Lundqvist ahead of goalies like broduer and loungo just doesnt fit. You cant say oh lok at what theses goalies have done this eyar, they ddint get a chance to play. So when comparing them we should look instead to the latest stats and comparisons, which would be the nhl from last year, in whihc bordeur and loungo were starters and top elite goaltenders in the league. Lundqvist hasnt proven that he is better just becuase he had a good year in the SEL. And if u say Lundqvist was named 2nd team allstar last WC why cant we then talk about Loungo's play last year, or any other Canadian that played last year. Too just discredit all these NHL superstars have done in there careers becasue there was no NHL is ridioulous. These players still have the talent and have been proven to be far superior to Lundqvist in the past.

I said STOP IT!

it wasn't I who brought up that Lundqvist was in the last years allstarteam, I didn't even know about that.
I am NOT saying that Lundqvist has or will ever achive as much as Brodeur. The only thing I am saying is that I belive he is better than Brodeur right now at this moment. He is in his best shape. But nobody even knows if Brodeur is in good shape...I surtenly don't think he is.

espo*

I know one thing,he damn well better get in shape,the games start in about a week. Suck it up Marty!!

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005
Levitate said:
first, i think canada only has the real advantage in terms of guys like Thornton, Heatley, and Nash. the other guys like Doan, Gagne, etc, can have their equivalents found on other teams. Not that they're bad players, but they're not quite a "step above" like the other three I mentioned. They provide Canada with good depth in this tournament but they're not special talents that other teams can't have.

and second, this isn't a NA style, NHL tournament. being a NHL player in this tournament doesn't exactly mean you're better for it than a player who's played his career in europe. They're used to the ice and the rules and the styles of play that are successful in this setting. they're no slouches or "no talents" just because they're not in the NHL when it comes to a tourney like this.

that all being said, Canada does have very good talent and depth obviously and certainly should be considered a favorite as long as they aren't terribly rusty...but I could easily see them being knocked off if they don't play 100%. Heatley at 70% isn't going to win them this tourney if the rest of the team follows suite

Gimme a break. The DDT line was one of the most dominant lines in the WC, and that included Doan and Draper. Canada has what, 10 forwards who were 20 goal scorers at least in the last year? These guys are franchise players, people put so much into the 'bigger ice surface.' If the bigger ice surface is so much of a difference maker how come Canada dominated it in 2002, followed up by the Americans, both of whom were not brought up on the 'big ice.' Canada has shut down Peter Forsberg on the 'big ice' with guys like Maltby Doan and Draper. Big ice isnt that big of a factor. The biggest factors are talent, systems, team chemistry, luck.

Its so typical that people dont want to give guys like Doan and Marleau credit just because they're not flashy like Kovalchuck. Maybe they don't score as many goals, but goal scoring is not the only factor that makes a good hockey player. These guys are great all around, and I dont want to throw a word like 'two-way' around because that makes it seem as if they're only mildly offensively talented. Marleau scored a hat trick against Kipper in the playoffs last year.

And if you look at a 'grinder' like Fischer, he had pretty big numbers in Europe last year. So take our 'grinder,' put him in Europe 'on the big ice' and he becomes a dominant player. Want to know why? The European leagues simply do not have the same top level talent the NHL has.

Think about this: Everyone here is so excited about Ovechkin playing in this tournament. Well he sure did great in the WJC...oh wait, as soon as he played a formidable team, he got completely shut down! He got shut down by guys that are about 100th on Canada's best-on-best depth chart, wait till he plays guys that are 10-20 on the best on best depth chart, not just for Canada, for any team. He didnt do much in the WC, I don't know why anyone would think hes going to be amazing in this tournament.

Granted everything I say could be completely wrong. Canada could easily not medal, its anyone's tournament. But to say we're that much less skilled than any other team is to not look at the facts.

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005
wassup77 said:
Ehm..thats exactly what I said in my other post. In this tournament(wich we are talking about in this topic right?) I think Lundqvist is the best goalkeeper.

People who are saying that I'm rediculous should read what I write instead of looking back at what Brodeur has done in his career.

Can someone please answer me what Brodeur has done this year? nothing? oh ok...

He's gone 5-0-0 at the World Stars games and he just beat Latvia in his first full game, and may I say, he looked pretty sharp at camp. The last drill they had they pitted Luongo and Turco against Broduer in a shootout situation. Each side got a certain number of pucks, and whichever side got rid of all their pucks first by scoring won. Broduer's side still had like 6 pucks out of 12 or so left by the time the drill ended.

Twist and Shout

Dec 30, 2003
Calgary, Alberta
Gold Czech Republic (Jagr will be the tournament MVP)

Silver Canada (will be stunned by the Czech offense)

Bronze Russia (Their lack of anything but offense will stop them from reaching the finals)

4th Sweden (Lundqvist will CARRY them to a 4th place finish)

wassup77

Nov 15, 2004
Sweden
therealdeal said:
He's gone 5-0-0 at the World Stars games and he just beat Latvia in his first full game, and may I say, he looked pretty sharp at camp. The last drill they had they pitted Luongo and Turco against Broduer in a shootout situation. Each side got a certain number of pucks, and whichever side got rid of all their pucks first by scoring won. Broduer's side still had like 6 pucks out of 12 or so left by the time the drill ended.

5-0-0 what? He lost vs the swedish teams in the allstar games.
he beat Latvia? OH WOW!! LATVIA REALLY?
he is better than Luongo...tell me something new...

That ******** ain't close to be more impressive than what Lundqvist have been doin this season...

Lundqvists SVS% avarage in the SEL playoffs was 96,16
Pretty much humuliating goalies like Gerber, Theodore, Norrena, Kipprusoff, Stana, Fernandez, Salo...

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
wassup77 said:
5-0-0 what? He lost vs the swedish teams in the allstar games.
he beat Latvia? OH WOW!! LATVIA REALLY?
he is better than Luongo...tell me something new...

That ******** ain't close to be more impressive than what Lundqvist have been doin this season...

Lundqvists SVS% avarage in the SEL playoffs was 96,16
Pretty much humuliating goalies like Gerber, Theodore, Norrena, Kipprusoff, Stana, Fernandez, Salo...

Bro...c'on relax...im as big of a Lundqvist fan like you are but saying he will be better then Brodeur in the Tournament is a stretch, sure it could happen (it really could people) but lets not get ahead of ourselfs.....all your doing is over hyping Lundqvist which will hurt him in the future...hes a great goalie..but lets not use the words Brodeur and Lundqvist in the same sentence just yet.

PS - Yea he did kick ass against NHL goalies like Gerber, Theodore, Kipper etc in the playoffs. :handclap:

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
Riddarn said:
Why? The russians have a decent coach for once..

I think Russia's biggest problem is their inexperienced team. Most of the roster is quite young.

And god help us all if they run out of training pants :D

wassup77

Nov 15, 2004
Sweden
FLYLine4LIFE said:
Bro...c'on relax...im as big of a Lundqvist fan like you are but saying he will be better then Brodeur in the Tournament is a stretch, sure it could happen (it really could people) but lets not get ahead of ourselfs.....all your doing is over hyping Lundqvist which will hurt him in the future...hes a great goalie..but lets not use the words Brodeur and Lundqvist in the same sentence just yet.

PS - Yea he did kick ass against NHL goalies like Gerber, Theodore, Kipper etc in the playoffs. :handclap:

Yeah I know...I just had to tell them because they called me rediculous. I'm not saying that Brodeur has no chance against Lundqvist. I just belive that Lundqvist will play better than Brodeur this tournament. I might be wrong, I might be right. Who knows...

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
after the year he's had, culminating in winning the SEL championship, he also might be in for a letdown :dunno:

let's not get too crazy...his team doesn't seem terribly strong compared to others in the tourney so I'm hoping he's not hung out to dry

Bruins4Ever

Sep 12, 2004
Caledonia, Ontario
To be honest, I think Canada's forwards are better than Russia's. They have speed, grit, and physicality, physicality is what the Russian's are sorely missing. Take a look at the two forward rosters:

Alexander Ovechkin-Pavel Datsyuk-Alexei Kovalev
Ilya Kovalchuk-Evengi Malkin-Maxim Afinogenov
Alexander Semin-Alexei Yashin-Viktor Kozlov
Alexander Haritonov-Sergei Zinovjev-Fedor Fedorov

Ivan Neprjaev
Vladimir Antipov

or Canada's roster

Rick Nash-Joe Thornton-Shane Doan
Ryan Smyth-Brendan Morisson-Dany Heatley
Brendan Morrow-Patrick Marleau-Simon Gagne
Kirk Maltby-Kris Draper-Mike Fisher

Scott Walker

Give me Canada's forward roster 10 times out of 10. :handclap:

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Canada have won two straight years because their D is able to break up plays "higher" up the ice then any other D. Thats what gives them a chance to win every game they play.

Honestly from my point of view for example the Swedish offensive game have been allot better then Canadas, especially in 03´but also in 04´. Even when Canada had guys like Heatly. The reason for this is that there is no time for Canadian players to learn how to adopt to the bigger ice surface in the international game and learn how to take fully advantage of it. But there D have more then made up for that in the past.

Personally I don't think they will be able to be 100% this year, some of the players not playing competetive at all this year beeing the biggest reason. However when the gold medal round starts all it takes is three games, one can't forget that there is a lot of luck involved. So Canada defenitly have a chance. So does Chechz Rep., Russia, Finland and Slovakia.

If I where to rank the team, seriously right now Russia is the fav.
(most likly to win it all, in order)
1. Russia
2. Chechz Rep.
3. Canada
4. Finland
5. Slovakia
6. Sweden
I also belive that all 6 have a shot at winning. USA don't! Someone talked about how Russia only have impressed because they haven't been asked to dance in the corners. I belive the Russians have physically atleast as strong roster as any other team. They have for the first time the last decade a really chippy team. The biggest question IMO is if the stars of the team are willing to take a smaller role in the long run and if they can keeping playing like they did against Sweden if they get behind in a game, or turn into the usual Kovalchuk solo fest....

12# Peter Bondra

Apr 15, 2004
Also Russia's chances would increase if Kovalchuk plays like in the NHL. Cause at the last WC's he wasnt anything special.

wassup77

Nov 15, 2004
Sweden
Its funny how all the swedes except me think so bad of the Swedish roster...

Just because players like Forsberg, Lidstrom, Sundin and Nazzy isn't playing...they are not so important really. Sweden has good forwards who can win the worlds. The only problem is the defense wich is not so bad either because of Lundqvist.

Stop reading swedish newspapers and get your own opinion ffs.

I whould rank Sweden ahead of Slovakia, USA and Finland atleast.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Ola said:
Canada have won two straight years because their D is able to break up plays "higher" up the ice then any other D. Thats what gives them a chance to win every game they play.

Honestly from my point of view for example the Swedish offensive game have been allot better then Canadas, especially in 03´but also in 04´. Even when Canada had guys like Heatly. The reason for this is that there is no time for Canadian players to learn how to adopt to the bigger ice surface in the international game and learn how to take fully advantage of it. But there D have more then made up for that in the past.

Personally I don't think they will be able to be 100% this year, some of the players not playing competetive at all this year beeing the biggest reason. However when the gold medal round starts all it takes is three games, one can't forget that there is a lot of luck involved. So Canada defenitly have a chance. So does Chechz Rep., Russia, Finland and Slovakia.

If I where to rank the team, seriously right now Russia is the fav.
(most likly to win it all, in order)
1. Russia
2. Chechz Rep.
3. Canada
4. Finland
5. Slovakia
6. Sweden
I also belive that all 6 have a shot at winning. USA don't! Someone talked about how Russia only have impressed because they haven't been asked to dance in the corners. I belive the Russians have physically atleast as strong roster as any other team. They have for the first time the last decade a really chippy team. The biggest question IMO is if the stars of the team are willing to take a smaller role in the long run and if they can keeping playing like they did against Sweden if they get behind in a game, or turn into the usual Kovalchuk solo fest....

Explain to me why the United States doesn't have a shot.

espo*

Riddarn said:
Why? The russians have a decent coach for once..
Is that Salming in your avatar? Must be his hippy days i guess.....all he's missing is a spliff,some love beads and a peace sign hanging from a chain on his neck.

Riddarn

1980-2011
Aug 2, 2003
cyclops said:
Is that Salming in your avatar? Must be his hippy days i guess.....all he's missing is a spliff,some love beads and a peace sign hanging from a chain on his neck.

Yes, it's Salming.

Sonny Lamateena

Nov 2, 2004
Ottawa, Ontario
It won't be easy but i think Canada just has too much talent not to win. Yes, some of their players haven't played as much as others this season but that could end up being a positive as they are well rested and injury free. Its not like they're being completely thrown into the fire, they will have had a month to prepare and some exhibition games as well. Surely the players that were named to the team had expected the call and had kept themselves in near top condition and have used the time since to work on the timing. I would be surprised with anything less then gold.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Rabid Ranger said:
Explain to me why the United States doesn't have a shot.

"Not a shot" are maybe a bad use of words, but I could never imagine them winning it all. Without a doubt they aren't 100% motivated, allot of european players equall winning the ECH to winning a cup. For americans sadly if they win it all theyd be happy if there was a little notice in a newspaper. In Sweden/Finland/Chechz Rep. 75%(well maybe not 75% but allot of people) of the population would hit the streets celebrating...

If USA don't win the group they have to beat three of the top 6 teams in three straight games. I just can't see it happening.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad