Ranking the worst hockey leagues

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
To my big suprise, i never seen a thread like this on Hfboards.

My point is not to make fun of any leagues. But i do think it will be interesting to discuss which leagues are the worst.

Dont include College and Juniors. And only first leagues.

I assume the following are at the bottom, not a ranking:

Turkish League
Bulgarian League
Iceland Leage
South African League
Israel League
Lithuanian League
Belgium League
Croatian league
Serbian League
Estonia League

Did i forgot any league? God knows how to rank these leagues. But be my guest if you have the knowledge.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
There's no first-tier league in Belgium, instead they play the BeNe League which is far from the worst.

As for the worst league I don't know, never really followed any of them. But for example Macao must be up there if they still resume play.

HanTykje

Jan 8, 2022
Norway
www.instagram.com
Norwegian league??? The Norwegian league is far ahead of the mentioned leagues. The Norwegian league is about the same level as Denmark, DEL2, ECHL. Slightly behind Slovakia and Austria. The top 3-4 teams in Norway would be middle teams in Allsvenskan as well I suppose.
If we add how many high pick players have ben draftet and how many stars the nations/leagues have there does Slovakia, Austria etc passing Norway.

HungryFrank

Jun 20, 2015
If we add how many high pick players have ben draftet and how many stars the nations/leagues have there does Slovakia, Austria etc passing Norway.
but still it is nowhere near the juggernauts listed above and completely out of place here.
Those countries contending for the title usually have 0 to 2 professional hockey players and fight to have 4 active teams so that IIHF doesn't kick them out.
If a country has a drafted homegrown player, then that country doesn't belong here.

I also believe that Bosnia & Herzegovina also has a "league".

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
A 14/15 year old put up over PPG in the Estonian mens league. That’s all you need to know.

And yet Tartu beat Lithuanian, Icelandic champions comfortably at the Continental Cup this year. Another mediocre league a light-year ahead the actual worst ones.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad