13. Sean Day
14. Morgan Barron
15. Patrick Virta
16. Tim Gettinger
17. Brandon Crawley
18. Ryan Gropp
19. Tyler Wall
20. Dominik Lakatos

After the draft, this team should be loaded with a top 5 prospect pool in hockey. It’s already top 10.

Reactions: Lays

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
I'd have Dallas around 18-15, not overly excited about many of the guys (though I hope they prove me wrong). Graduated: Julius Honka (2) and Jason Dickinson (4).

1. D - Miro Heiskanen (18) - 23P, 30GP in Liiga. Good offence, great defence, great skater. See him being a 1D in the NHL.

2. LW - Jason Robertson (18) - 85P, 65GP in the OHL. Good offensive instincts knows where to be. Little bit slow. Have him as a boom or bust 2LW in the NHL.

3. G - Jake Ottinger (19) - 0.914S%, 2.49GAA. Put up decent numbers on a pretty bad overall team. Better numbers last year. He's a long term project, but see him as an average starter in the NHL.

4. LW - Riley Tufte (19) - 28P, 36GP in the NCAA. The mountain man. I was disappointed with him his first season but he's picked it up. Hoping for a high end third liner.

5. G - Colton Point (20) - 0.944S%, 1.74GAA in the ECAC. He's done much better than anybody could have predicted, looking forward to what he can prove in the AHL. See him as a high end backup.

6. C/LW - Roope Hintz (21) - 28P, 58GP in the AHL. Had high hopes for Hintz after his season in Liiga last year. Think he'll be a high end third liner in the NHL.

7. RW/LW - Dennis Guryanov (21) - 28P, 60GP in the AHL. Pretty disappointing pick with guys in the same range doing really well. Think he can still become a decent third liner.

8. RW/LW - Nick Caamano (19) - 57P, 63GP. I was hoping he'd build off last years great season. Still think he ends up as a good fourth liner which is great for a 5th rounder.

Reactions: Pavels Dog

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
Predators are easily in the bottom 5
1. Tolvanen
2 Fabbro
3 Carrier
4 Harper
5 Mismash
6 Allard
7 Farrance
8 Pitlick

Everyone knows what Tolvanen is doing but really it is
just awful past Fabbro (who is average at best) at least they represent Boston U pretty well. Crazy to think Tolvanen was going there as well. Also a lot of college kids as well, which the Predators have had issues signing.

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
Predators are easily in the bottom 5
1. Tolvanen
2 Fabbro
3 Carrier
4 Harper
5 Mismash
6 Allard
7 Farrance
8 Pitlick

Everyone knows what Tolvanen is doing but really it is
just awful past Fabbro (who is average at best) at least they represent Boston U pretty well. Crazy to think Tolvanen was going there as well. Also a lot of college kids as well, which the Predators have had issues signing.

For a team that is a legitimate Cup contender that's a good group.

Reactions: Lays

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City
I think that Boston is top five still, even after the likes of Debrusk, Grzelcyk, McAvoy and Heinen graduating and Lindgren traded to NYR. In no specific order:

JFK
Vaakanainen
Bjork
Frederic
Donato
Zboril
Lauzon
Senyshyn
Studnicka
Steen
Cehlarik
Koppanen
Swaymann

Reactions: FanSince72

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
Flames -

1. Valimaki
2. Andersson
3. Parsons
4. Fox
5. Dube
6. Gillies
7. Kylington
8. Mangiapane
9. Foo
10. Lindstrom

HM - Ruzicka (most Flames fan will have him in top 10 but he's a bit of a floater for me. Lindstrom is a dark horse candidate to be a #3-4 center in the NHL imo)

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
Some scary names made that top list: 7th rounder in this draft, a 24 yrs old guy picked up at tdl for a 5th, an echler, McCarron probably not resigned considering he is trending down in the Ahl, undrafted guys.

Putting Danault (25), Galchenyuk (24) and Gallagher (25) in a top prospect or U23 list?

Even 20th is a reach imho.

Was just listing our young core, disregarding U23.

I agree with you that 20th is a reach, that's why I simply stated that we were out of the top 20 lol

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
I'm guessing Montreal is probably out of the top 20 at this point. Our main prospects are:

Jake Evans - if he signs, looks like a solid two-way guy, perhaps 35-40 pts potential. MTL doesn't have much going on at center so he could be slotted higher on the depth chart.

Nikita Scherbak - showing good signs at the NHL level, but still a lot to work on. Offensive instincts are there, but don't think he ever becomes a top-end scorer. More like a 2nd line offensive wing, 45-50 points potential.

Will Bitten - seems like he's having a good junior career, may end up similar to Gallagher i.e. smallish winger with a big motor who can contribute offensively. Will likely need some seasoning in AHL.

Noah Juulsen - has been great in the NHL, looks like a lock for the team next season. Has all the tools; size, mobility, physical abilities, even some offensive skills. Defensive play not on point yet for NHL but will come around.

Ryan Poehling - doing well in College, potential seems to be a decent 2C with two-way abilities. Much like Evans, but higher ceiling.

Joni Ikonen - boom or bust prospect but solid offensive skills and skating. Wildcard. Couple of years away for sure. Would be nice to see him in Laval soon.

Michael McCarron - seems like he'll never be more than a bottom-6 guy, but I feel like he can still contribute kind of like Brian Boyle. He may be a late bloomer. Has some skills but skating and timing still needs work.

Cayden Primeau - the goalie is doing very well this season but MTL is stacked in goals with Price signed long term and Lindgren as the backup next season, with McNiven/Fucale developping in Laval. Fucale has had the best year of the 3 so far. McNiven a bit of a letdown for me.

If we're stricly looking at young roster players + prospects Montreal has some nice depth but lacks top-end talent, although guys like Drouin, Galchenyuk, Mete, Juulsen, Scherbak, Poehling and Lehkonen have relatively high ceilings. Defense is lacking in terms of quality prospects.

Centers - Drouin, Poehling, Evans, Danault, DeLaRose, McCarron
Wingers - Lehkonen, Gallagher, Galchenyuk, Scherbak, Hudon, Bitten, Ikonen
Defense: Mete, Juulsen, Reilly, Lernout, Valiev
Goalies: Lindgren, McNiven, Primeau, Fucale

Closer to outside the top 30.

Just a terrible collection of prospects.

ponder719

Haute Couturier
Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Given that Patrick, Sanheim, Hagg and Leier all graduated to the NHL this year along with Laughton, that is a deep list with lots of upside. The Flyers don't have room for them all. Especially considering we will be likely adding 2 more 1st rounders at the draft and at this rate, they could both be top 16 picks.

Great update, Tripod, except I'm not sure why anyone's saying Sanheim graduated to the NHL. He broke camp with the team due to an injury, he got benched because Dave Hakstalled his career, was sent down, and only came back up on an emergency recall. As far as I can tell, he's not an NHL player yet, in the team's eyes. He should probably still be considered our #1 prospect until next season starts.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Great update, Tripod, except I'm not sure why anyone's saying Sanheim graduated to the NHL. He broke camp with the team due to an injury, he got benched because Dave Hakstalled his career, was sent down, and only came back up on an emergency recall. As far as I can tell, he's not an NHL player yet, in the team's eyes. He should probably still be considered our #1 prospect until next season starts.
But by "prospect rules", he is no longer able to win rookie of the year next year, so that's why he was omitted.

ponder719

Haute Couturier
Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
But by "prospect rules", he is no longer able to win rookie of the year next year, so that's why he was omitted.

Huh. I have no idea how, but it had genuinely slipped my mind that he dressed for as many games as he did between October and January. I thought he was still under the Calder cutoff. Fair play, then.

Reactions: Tripod

McNurse

Sep 2, 2015
On top topic but kind of off topic, aren’t you guys absolutely impressed what Gorton has done with the Rangers? He put them from last in depth to top 10 easily just in over a season, and not to mention the next draft he has a boat load of picks. It’s actually really impressive

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
Closer to outside the top 30.

Just a terrible collection of prospects.

Yes, a few good ones. None elite. We should be in the top half in about 6 months with a top 10 pick and a possibly 9 picks in the top 100 in the draft

TheSnipeshow91

Aug 11, 2014
Flames -

1. Valimaki
2. Andersson
3. Parsons
4. Fox
5. Dube
6. Gillies
7. Kylington
8. Mangiapane
9. Foo
10. Lindstrom

HM - Ruzicka (most Flames fan will have him in top 10 but he's a bit of a floater for me. Lindstrom is a dark horse candidate to be a #3-4 center in the NHL imo)
That is a solid group of dmen in your prospect pool. Top 10 pool imo.

MSSLYNX

Jul 27, 2009
Yes, a few good ones. None elite. We should be in the top half in about 6 months with a top 10 pick and a possibly 9 picks in the top 100 in the draft
Only 1 first rounder is not much compared to what clubs also retooling like NYR, NYI, DET is looking at at the draft.

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
Only 1 first rounder is not much compared to what clubs also retooling like NYR, NYI, DET is looking at at the draft.

Depends how you look at it... how does it look compared to the other 27 teams???

37 others

Apr 18, 2017
I'm guessing Montreal is probably out of the top 20 at this point. Our main prospects are:

Jake Evans - if he signs, looks like a solid two-way guy, perhaps 35-40 pts potential. MTL doesn't have much going on at center so he could be slotted higher on the depth chart.

Nikita Scherbak - showing good signs at the NHL level, but still a lot to work on. Offensive instincts are there, but don't think he ever becomes a top-end scorer. More like a 2nd line offensive wing, 45-50 points potential.

Will Bitten - seems like he's having a good junior career, may end up similar to Gallagher i.e. smallish winger with a big motor who can contribute offensively. Will likely need some seasoning in AHL.

Noah Juulsen - has been great in the NHL, looks like a lock for the team next season. Has all the tools; size, mobility, physical abilities, even some offensive skills. Defensive play not on point yet for NHL but will come around.

Ryan Poehling - doing well in College, potential seems to be a decent 2C with two-way abilities. Much like Evans, but higher ceiling.

Joni Ikonen - boom or bust prospect but solid offensive skills and skating. Wildcard. Couple of years away for sure. Would be nice to see him in Laval soon.

Michael McCarron - seems like he'll never be more than a bottom-6 guy, but I feel like he can still contribute kind of like Brian Boyle. He may be a late bloomer. Has some skills but skating and timing still needs work.

Cayden Primeau - the goalie is doing very well this season but MTL is stacked in goals with Price signed long term and Lindgren as the backup next season, with McNiven/Fucale developping in Laval. Fucale has had the best year of the 3 so far. McNiven a bit of a letdown for me.

If we're stricly looking at young roster players + prospects Montreal has some nice depth but lacks top-end talent, although guys like Drouin, Galchenyuk, Mete, Juulsen, Scherbak, Poehling and Lehkonen have relatively high ceilings. Defense is lacking in terms of quality prospects.

Centers - Drouin, Poehling, Evans, Danault, DeLaRose, McCarron
Wingers - Lehkonen, Gallagher, Galchenyuk, Scherbak, Hudon, Bitten, Ikonen
Defense: Mete, Juulsen, Reilly, Lernout, Valiev
Goalies: Lindgren, McNiven, Primeau, Fucale
No Cale Fleury?

Hobby Bull

amazon sucks
May 21, 2013
Hey all! I know this is a very hard thing to do and very subjective, but have there been any recent attempts to rank teams prospect depth? Or under 23 players?[/

There are a lot of prospect inquiries/rankings on these boards.

Generally, the original poster benefits by "defining their terms".

eg. compare players under 23, OR compare players with no Nhl experience or whatever. If the criteria is not crystal clear, you may get the rhetoric you want, but more likely, your result will be arguments about semantics.

Calgareee

Jun 29, 2015
That is a solid group of dmen in your prospect pool. Top 10 pool imo.

I would say our Dmen group is top 5, goalies middle of the pack and our forwards bottom of the barrel. With no draft picks to speak of this year the only saving grace is that our forward core is real young.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Avs should be right around the 8-12 spot I think.

Makar, Timmins, and Meloche is as good a trio of D prospects as you'll get in the league.

Shane Bowers is a ridiculously underrated prospect, just named to the Freshman All-Star team along with Makar in College.

And Greer, Kamenev, Shvyryov in the system up front, as well as a few boom/bust prospects. Smirnov, Morrison, Lewis.

Scary thing is nobody from that group is likely to graduate next season either. And we've got at least one 1st and a pair of 2nds in the upcoming draft. And in one of the next two drafts, we're going to get an extra 1st that's potentially Top 10 in said draft.

TheSnipeshow91

Aug 11, 2014
I would say our Dmen group is top 5, goalies middle of the pack and our forwards bottom of the barrel. With no draft picks to speak of this year the only saving grace is that our forward core is real young.
Imo it's harder to find quality dmen prospect, top 6 forwards are much more frequent than a top 4 dman in the draft. Looks like the flames have a few guys with top 4 potential. If anything they're good trade bait.

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
On top topic but kind of off topic, aren’t you guys absolutely impressed what Gorton has done with the Rangers? He put them from last in depth to top 10 easily just in over a season, and not to mention the next draft he has a boat load of picks. It’s actually really impressive
100% bias but we’re easily top 5. Gorton has done an amazing job here, our future looked really bleak at the same time last year, only a few months into an actual rebuild and we’ve had a huge start to it that can place us back into contention very soon. I hope we continue to tank next season but I think we’ll end up in the playoffs with a first round exit, we’re also doing much better than we should be doing right now and it hurts our chances at a better pick. Still a very bright future though

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->