OT: Rank Toronto's current greatest athletes

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
My ranking would currently look something like this, I think Matthews, Marner, Nylander and Degrasse will rise up this list in the next few years.

1. Demar Derozan
2. Josh Donaldson
3. Giovinco
4.Auston Matthews
5. Kyle Lowry
6. Marcus Stroman
7.Andre Degrasse
8. Mitch Marner
9. William Nylander
10. Frederick Andersen

Lebanese Leaf

Sep 19, 2009
Toronto, ON
If we are comparing how elite players are on a global scale at their sport, Giovinco is too high, and this is coming from a hardcore TFC fan. Also let's leave Degrasse out of it since he doesn't play a team sport like the rest.

1. Demar Derozan
2. Auston Matthews
3. Kyle Lowry
4. Josh Donaldson
5. Freddy Andersen
6. Marcus Stroman
7. Mitch Marner
8. Willy Nylander
9. Sebastian Giovinco
10. Morgan Rielly

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
So hard to even debate this imo, but I don't see how Donaldson isn't currently #1 if it's relative to sport/league (Gio has to be #2 if it's in comparison to just the MLS). He has the 3rd highest WAR in the entire league the three years since he's been a Blue Jay.

My list (left out Degrasse as he doesn't play for "Toronto"):

1. Josh Donaldson
2. Sebastian Giovinco (If we're counting only the MLS, if not I have him after Marner)
3. Auston Matthews
4. Kyle Lowry
5. Demar Derozan
6. Marcus Stroman
7. Frederick Andersen
8. William Nylander
9. Mitch Marner
10. Aaron Sanchez

Lebanese Leaf

Sep 19, 2009
Toronto, ON
So hard to even debate this imo, but I don't see how Donaldson isn't currently #1 if it's relative to sport/league (Gio has to be #2 if it's in comparison to just the MLS). He has the 3rd highest WAR in the entire league the three years since he's been a Blue Jay.

1. Josh Donaldson
2. Sebastian Giovinco (If we're counting only the MLS, if not I have him after Marner)
3. Auston Matthews
4. Kyle Lowry
5. Demar Derozan
6. Marcus Stroman
7. Frederick Andersen
8. William Nylander
9. Mitch Marner
10. Aaron Sanchez

Demar Derozan is having an MVP level season. He will finish top 5 in MVP voting. No one above him (except Giovinco) had or is having that kind of season most recently. And the reason I drop Giovinco is because the MLS is not best on best the way NBA, NHL or MLB are.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
Relative to the rest of their global peers:

Donaldson
Matthews
Derozan
Lowry
Stroman
Andersen
Nylander
Marner
Rielly
Osuna

I didn't include Giovinco because the MLS is trash compared to the pro Euro leagues. If he was playing there, he isn't an all star calibre player, let alone an MVP candidate.

Reactions: Vintage93

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I don’t live in Toronto and had to look up Derozan to see who he was.

My list would be all the Leafs and Marlies followed by the Blue Jays.

cookie

Fresh From The Oven
Nov 24, 2009
Oven then stomach
I may have misunderstood the question because guys like Patrick Chan deserve tons of love. He's one of the few Olympians I know that's from Toronto but there's bound to be more. As for PC, he's Ottawa born but Toronto trained and was the 4th ranked skater in the world last I checked.

Mar 14, 2011
Demar Derozan is having an MVP level season. He will finish top 5 in MVP voting. No one above him (except Giovinco) had or is having that kind of season most recently. And the reason I drop Giovinco is because the MLS is not best on best the way NBA, NHL or MLB are.
What do you consider as recent? Because Donaldson actually won the AL MVP in 2015, was 4th in the MVP voting in 2016 and would likely have been in the top 10 last year if he didn't got injured.

Reactions: htpwn

Glenn Isildur Healy

Oct 8, 2013
CBC Studios
DeRozan is not better than Lowry

1) Josh Donaldson (he actually won the MVP)
2) Auston Matthews
3) Kyle Lowry
4) Marcus Stroman
5) DeMar DeRozan
6) Frederik Andersen
7) William Nylander
8) Mitch Marner
9) Morgan Rielly
10) Nazem Kadri

Keep Sorokin Me Babe

Hit em with the four like
Jun 18, 2016

1. Josh Donaldson
3. Auston Matthews
4. Kyle Lowry
5. Demar Derozan
6. Marcus Stroman
7. Frederick Andersen
8. William Nylander
9. Mitch Marner
10. Aaron Sanchez

Giovinco is essentially the Gretzky of the MLS (i.e greatest player in league history). No way Donaldson is above him if we're comparing relative to their leagues

Reactions: AngryScotsman

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad