rank this young guns

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChemiseBleuHonnete

Oct 28, 2002
Squeaky said:
I'd say Balej has a pretty good shot.

maybe... he has a quick release but the accurancy and power isn't special. Since I saw both Balej and Hossa in our organisation, I think that Marcel Hossa's shot is a lot better. His release is lightning fast and it's powerful. The problem is that he is so inconsistant.

NewHabsEra*

Philip J. Fry said:
he said in their prime... not next year with new york. Balej is all-right. IMO he's a Czerkawski. I hate that kind of player. On top of that, Balej doesn't have high-end skills. Average hands and shot and below average vision with great speed. That's all I have to say about Balej. Anyways, just to rank him high is pretty ignorant.

Czerkawski?? Czerkawski is slow, float alot and avoid physical traffic...

Balej is extremmely fast, this is his main strenght, will be one of the fastest player in the NHL... He doesnt float, he plays the game like it has to be and is excellent to protect the puck along the board... I cant see any similarities here.

Even at their prime, Julien could use Perezhogin on the second line and give him second PP time... Both Kostitsyn and Perez are RW, maybe Julien will prefer Kost's amazing wrist shot on the first PP unit while Balej could remain NY rangers' best RW for a while having more opportunities to get points... No one know who will pruduce more in this list, it depends of a ton of factors.

Last edited by a moderator:

leafaholix*

pavel datsyuk said:
Why do you have Fehr so low? just curious, not arguing.
I like him a lot, but I don't think he stacks up offensively as some of the other prospects on the list. I like his shot, but I think his skating is a bit average and not sure his game would translate to the NHL.

NewHabsEra*

Philip J. Fry said:
maybe... he has a quick release but the accurancy and power isn't special. Since I saw both Balej and Hossa in our organisation, I think that Marcel Hossa's shot is a lot better. His release is lightning fast and it's powerful. The problem is that he is so inconsistant.

Balej's snap shot is really heavy and accurate... Wrist shot is average...

Hossa's snap shot is solid but not great, his wrist shot is however great.

ChemiseBleuHonnete

Oct 28, 2002
NewHabsArea said:
Balej's snap shot is really heavy and accurate... Wrist shot is average...

Hossa's snap shot is solid but not great, his wrist shot is however great.

that's what I meant. Anyways, Balej's one-timers are great. He's got a pretty good speed execution. But overall, he's soft and mainly uni-dimensional.

nedved93

Aug 5, 2003
Visit site
Philip J. Fry said:
that's what I meant. Anyways, Balej's one-timers are great. He's got a pretty good speed execution. But overall, he's soft and mainly uni-dimensional.
then i'd urge you to get some footage from wolfpack games this year. if anything, balej consistently backchecks and plays in high traffic areas to create offense - i'd even describe his style of play as combative at times. his combination of skating skill, puck skills, and sheer creativity is something this rangers fan can't get enough of.

bruins4777*

Balej's shot is ridiculous. His snapshot and slap shot are absolutely incredible. To me, his problem this season is an inability to find consistency. He has yet to really hit a groove so he hasn't been able to know what to do, which is why i think he's struggling so much. He's getting frustrated easiliy which is affecting him.

I cna start to see you view on balej, and it makes sense to me, but i still dont' think he should be ranked below lombardi and some others.

I think balej's the type that if given the right type of player with him he can be a 30/40 goal guy. But alone i dont' think he can be more than a 20/30 goal enigma.

Squeaky

Jul 8, 2004
Toronto
NewHabsArea said:
Czerkawski?? Czerkawski is slow, float alot and avoid physical traffic...

Balej is extremmely fast, this is his main strenght, will be one of the fastest player in the NHL... He doesnt float, he plays the game like it has to be and is excellent to protect the puck along the board... I cant see any similarities here.

Even at their prime, Julien could use Perezhogin on the second line and give him second PP time... Both Kostitsyn and Perez are RW, maybe Julien will prefer Kost's amazing wrist shot on the first PP unit while Balej could remain NY rangers' best RW for a while having more opportunities to get points... No one know who will pruduce more in this list, it depends of a ton of factors.

Kostitsyn is playing mostly LW right now btw. Actually, I think since Perez got moved up to the Jagr line in Russia, he's been a LW too. That doesn't really change what you're saying, more of an add-on.

Fozz

Aug 1, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Squeaky said:
Kostitsyn is playing mostly LW right now btw. Actually, I think since Perez got moved up to the Jagr line in Russia, he's been a LW too. That doesn't really change what you're saying, more of an add-on.

Perezhogin can play all 3 forward positions. If both these kids develop as expected, they could eventually play together one day.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
All the players listed are pretty good and have a very good chance to reach their potential IMO

Perezhogin
Hemsky
Vermette
Balej
Fehr
Fritsche
Lombardi

Is how I would rank them

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
just to chime in on balej...first, sorry but he's not a soft player at all. i don't know how he's played in the past but his play with the wolfpack is anything but soft. he's chippy, mixes it up, doesn't even blink when someone lays a heavy hit on him along the boards...he's not a powerforward by any stretch of the imagination but he's not afraid to get involved and go to the net. it's not exactly his game to drive to the net but he's definatly not afraid to do it.

second, no he doesn't have amazing elite skills but he does have very good hands and a decent shot, depending on what one he uses. bruins is right, his slapshot is nasty. he's also a good setup man and works hard on things like puck retrieval/forechecking, and he does backcheck...he's never gonna be a great defensive player but he tries. to call him soft and one dimensional is an overstatement IMO.

I think balej's the type that if given the right type of player with him he can be a 30/40 goal guy. But alone i dont' think he can be more than a 20/30 goal enigma.

i'd agree with this more or less...he needs some creative guys playing with him to reach his potential...he's not a superstar. that's the thing with the wolfpack (and btw, i wouldn't call his season "horrid" like you did earlier...it's not great and he's struggled at times but he's probably gonna break 20 goals and on a low scoring wolfpack team, that's not too bad) mcgill puts out some crazy line combinations. he'll combine skill guys like balej with grinders who don't have much offense, and people wonder why they then don't score as much. it also seems like he'll refuse to use his best offensive players in situations that would require them...like when his team is down by 1 with a minute left and he puts out guys like jed ortmeyer instead of balej :shakehead

it's not exactly an environment conducive to scoring a ton of points.

but he has struggled this year with putting some pucks in the net...i'm not extremely worried cuz at this point it just seems like an off year, and i think he has the skills to do well judging from what i also saw in the NHL...he'll probably be the rangers 2nd line RW, jagr being the 1st line RW. no idea who he'll play with though...depends if the rangers try to bring in another center to play as the #1 center (in which case I'd imagine we see nylander play with balej on the second line) or if they want to use nylander as the 1st line center...then i dunno, might see holik as the second line center, centering balej...which isn't horrible cuz holik would help create some space for him. or we could even see jamie lundmark as the 2nd line center...i'm not holding my breath on that one though.

i imagine he'll have a prominent spot but i'm not sure who he'll be playing with.

as for the original question...kind of a hard one cuz you've got quite a cross section of guys at different stages in their developments...2 year NHL vets (hemsky) and guys who aren't even out of juniors (fehr). i'd go something like this but i don't know all of these guys extremely well

Hemsky
Fehr
Balej
Perezhogin
Vermette
Lombardi
Fritsche

tough list but eh, some guys could probably be pretty easily swapped

Squeaky

Jul 8, 2004
Toronto
Fozz said:
Perezhogin can play all 3 forward positions. If both these kids develop as expected, they could eventually play together one day.

I didn't know he could play C, that's cool. They can both play either wing pretty well, which is awesome. Versatility like that is valuable.

DuklaNation

Aug 26, 2004
Fehr (the prototype scoring winger)
Hemsky (the most raw talent of the bunch but is soft and plays on perimeter)
Vermette (no touch but will last a long time in the league)
Lombardi
Balej (he impressed me late last year with NY)
Perezhogin
Fritsche (looks too injury prone)

Last edited:

Taz

Sep 18, 2004
Letchworth
Balej is meant to be working much more on his defensive game this year, thats why he is not racking up any major points. Also yes the pack isnt high on offence this year.

ChemiseBleuHonnete

Oct 28, 2002
Anyways, having seen both Balej and Perezhogin in the habs organisation, I can safely say that Perezhogin is a better player by a pretty good margin. All those putting Balej before Perez in that list is doing so to bother habs fans or they're simply ignorant.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Philip J. Fry said:
Anyways, having seen both Balej and Perezhogin in the habs organisation, I can safely say that Perezhogin is a better player by a pretty good margin. All those putting Balej before Perez in that list is doing so to bother habs fans or they're simply ignorant.

I don't think their aim is to bother Habs fans, but alot of people who are non Habs fans don't realize how good Perezhogin is, to me on this list of players provided, him and Hemsky are way ahead of the other players listed, to me, Perezhogin is on the same level as Alexander Semin, if you look at RSL stats, he outscored Semin in less games after a hot start by Semin...and I'm pretty sure if this list included Semin, he'd be atop of everyone's list, so attribute it to a lack of knowledge rather than people trying to bother Habs fans

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
TML said:
Hemsky
Vermette
Balej
Fritsche
Fehr
Lombardi
Perezhogin

Not trying to start anything TML, but can i ask you why you list Perezhogin last? I don't agree with you, but I respect your opinion, just wondering if you could elaborate?

Edit-I don't know, seems odd to me that a player who will likely be considred for a spot on the WC's squad for Russia would be last on your list :dunno: especially considering that on talent alone, he's on par with Hemsky

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
do you think this young guns are all able to put 60 points in the NHL???

eh, it always comes down to who they're playing with. if each one of them was riding shotgun to a legit superstar, they all probably have the talent to eclipse 60 points

if each one was stuck with cement hands linemates, then no...some of them might do it (i'm not even gonna try to guess who) but IMO none of these guys are gonna be superstars in their own rights

I don't think their aim is to bother Habs fans, but alot of people who are non Habs fans don't realize how good Perezhogin is

i'd say that's fair...i dont' know a ton about him other than he is considered a good prospect. i put him just below balej but i'll admit that was somewhat of a homer pick, and i mentioned i thought things could be swapped around and still be fair. wouldn't surprise me if he was better than balej in the end...

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Levitate said:
eh, it always comes down to who they're playing with. if each one of them was riding shotgun to a legit superstar, they all probably have the talent to eclipse 60 points

if each one was stuck with cement hands linemates, then no...some of them might do it (i'm not even gonna try to guess who) but IMO none of these guys are gonna be superstars in their own rights

i'd say that's fair...i dont' know a ton about him other than he is considered a good prospect. i put him just below balej but i'll admit that was somewhat of a homer pick, and i mentioned i thought things could be swapped around and still be fair. wouldn't surprise me if he was better than balej in the end...

Chalk that up to homerism :)

Nothing against Balej, I think he's a good prospect, but I don't think he's in Perezhogin's league, compare their 1st professional season's and circumstances surrounding that, and you have a player in Perezhogin who outplayed Balej by a great deal in Hamilton despite bing 1 year younger I believe, in Balej I see similarities between him and Ladislav Nagy, but I don't think he's as good, but he plays a similar game...

Habsaku

Apr 28, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Perezhogin
Hemsky
Fehr
Frietsche
Balej
Vermette
Lombardi

I'm very high on both Perezhogin and Hemsky, they can easily be swapped but I went with Perezhogin because hes with Montreal and I really like him as a player.
Balej, Vermette and Lombardi I've never been high on but I do expect them to become good 2nd line players. Fehr and Frietsche I'm not too sure, I dont see them as sure fire 1st liners like Perezhogin and Hemsky but they could become 1st liners.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
i'd like to hear some oilers fans thoughts on hemsky...i always thought he was looked upon as kind of infuriating and not playing up to his potential, and playing too soft, etc.

am i wrong on that? :dunno:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad