Eric Staal
Dan Hamhuis
Alexander Semin
Jarret Stoll
Derek Roy
Kelly Gaurd
Maxime Daigneault
Michael Garnett

Is that the order you would rank them in or is there some minor adjustments that need to be made? Possibly switch Staal and Horton?? Phaneuf and Fleury?? Hamhuis and Semin??

Any help would be greatly appreciated

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
Spezza
Fleury
Staal
Phaneuf
Horton
Hamhuis
Semin
Stoll
Roy
Daigneault
Garnett
Guard

HAWKSWINHAWKSWIN

Apr 5, 2002
The 49th parallel
Visit site
Just an observation but people still tend to rank Staal way up there in most "whos going to be great down the road" polls. I know his point production has fallen way off (over the edge of a cliff- off). Is he still showing signs of brilliance and projected to be the next Ron Francis? I realize its late in the year and the season has probably taken its toll on him. What can be expected of him, now that everyone has had a full season to look at him? Is he still classified as first line material? Or has his stocked droppped at all?

in the hall

Mar 4, 2004
tier 1
Jason Spezza
Marc-Andre Fleury

tier 2
Dion Phaneuf
Eric Staal
Nathan Horton

tier 3
Dan Hamhuis
Alexander Semin

tier 4 significant drop off
Jarret Stoll
Derek Roy
Maxime Daigneault

tier 5
Kelly Gaurd
Michael Garnett

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
in the hall said:
tier 1
Jason Spezza
Marc-Andre Fleury

tier 2
Dion Phaneuf
Eric Staal
Nathan Horton

tier 3
Dan Hamhuis
Alexander Semin

tier 4 significant drop off
Jarret Stoll
Derek Roy
Maxime Daigneault

tier 5
Kelly Gaurd
Michael Garnett

Completely agree with that. I'm still unsure if Phaneuf will be a tier 1 or tier 2 d-man though...He was incredible at the World Juniors.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
Sting004 said:
Completely agree with that. I'm still unsure if Phaneuf will be a tier 1 or tier 2 d-man though...He was incredible at the World Juniors.

I'd add Hamhuis and Semin to tier 2.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
HAWKSWINHAWKSWIN said:
Just an observation but people still tend to rank Staal way up there in most "whos going to be great down the road" polls. I know his point production has fallen way off (over the edge of a cliff- off). Is he still showing signs of brilliance and projected to be the next Ron Francis? I realize its late in the year and the season has probably taken its toll on him. What can be expected of him, now that everyone has had a full season to look at him? Is he still classified as first line material? Or has his stocked droppped at all?

Well, lets not forget that Staal was 18 to start the season and is 19 years old now. There are quite a few big names in this league already that hadn't touched a sheet of NHL ice yet at that point. 30 points for a player as young as Staal should be considered a success. We've been spoiled by great campaigns from players like Rick Nash, Ilya Kovalchuk, and Patrice Bergeron lately and it makes it hard to accept that a young player like Staal can have a successful season and not put up points in bunches yet. Jason Spezza didn't even play in the NHL yet at Staal's age, and you see how everyone still ranks him at the top of their lists.

The major issue with Staal is the fact that he has hit the rookie wall. Had that not happened, he would have been good for 40-45 points this year and would probably be in the thick of the Calder talks. With body maturation and development time, Staal is still on track to develop into a point per game player. It has just been deadly obvious to anyone who watches Hurricanes hockey that Staal is just tired and worn out. It has nothing to do with his skill level, it's just that his young frame isn't used to the demand of an 82 game NHL schedule yet. The fact still remains that during the preseason and the first 25 games of the season he was lights out. 7 goals in his first 7 preseason games and 15 points or so in his first 25 games.

However, after seeing more of him i'm seeing less and less of Ron Francis. Mike Modano is looking more like the right comparison to me. I was under the impression that Staal was a playmaker first and foremost, but this kid loves to score. He is also a lot faster than Francis and skates a heck of a lot better. I'm not saying by any stretch he'll have a better career than Francis, but they are two differant types of players. 30G 50A seasons is probably how i'd expect him to reach a point per game.

Belarus Rocket

Mar 5, 2003
Sherbrooke
Visit site
1)Marc-Andre Fleury
2)Jason Spezza
3)Eric Staal
4)Dion Phaneuf
5)Dan Hamuis
6)Nathan Horton
7)Alexander Semin
8)Jaret Stoll
9)Maxime Daigneault
10)Derek Roy
11)Kelly Gaurd
12)Michael Garnett

PEli*

1. Marc-Andre Fleury
2. Jason Spezza
3. Eric Staal

4. Dan Hamhuis
5. Dion Phaneuf
6. Alexander Semin
7. Nathan Horton

8. Jarret Stoll
9. Derek Roy
10. Maxime Daigneault
11. Kelly Guard
12. Michael Garnett

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
1.) Staal
2.) Phaneuf
3.) Spezza
4.) Fleury

5.) Dan Hamhuis
6.) Nathan Horton
7.) Alexander Semin

8.) Derek Roy
9.) Jarred Stoll

10.) Kelly Guard
11.) Maxime Daigneault

12.) Michael Garnett

craig1

Nov 1, 2002
Pittsburgh, PA
Visit site
Marc-Andre Fleury
Eric Staal/Jason Spezza.....I rank them even
Jason Spezza/Eric Staal.....I rank them even
Nathan Horton

small drop
Dion Phaneuf

drop off
Alexander Semin
Dan Hamhuis

drop off
Jarret Stoll
Derek Roy

drop off
Kelly Gaurd
Maxime Daigneault
Michael Garnett

db23

Spezza is a veteran of 2 NHL seasons, I hardly think he qualifies as a "prospect" any longer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->