rank these potential power forward prospects

• Thread starter Randall Graves*
  • Start date

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
I don't consider all those players real PowerForwards. Once again I guess its the argument of what a power forward is. A big strong forward who scores points? Or a player who is big, plays physical, has a means streak and scores points. I think is the latter and Sheppard and Latendresse are the only ones of the bunch who has shown a mean steak and throws the body.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Jason MacIsaac said:
I don't consider all those players real PowerForwards. Once again I guess its the argument of what a power forward is. A big strong forward who scores points? Or a player who is big, plays physical, has a means streak and scores points. I think is the latter and Sheppard and Latendresse are the only ones of the bunch who has shown a mean steak and throws the body.

If you don't consider Jessiman a powerforward than I don't know what is. He's had a couple of fights and loves the rough stuff.

And I also don't understand what Latendresse has done to be ranked above ANY of these players. I'd have him last on my list. Jessiman 2nd to last.

gars59

Jan 16, 2005
Trois-Rivières
Jon Prescription said:
If you don't consider Jessiman a powerforward than I don't know what is. He's had a couple of fights and loves the rough stuff.

And I also don't understand what Latendresse has done to be ranked above ANY of these players. I'd have him last on my list. Jessiman 2nd to last.

Latendresse last :confused: :confused: , he was the real deal in pre season , yes we know he had a bad year, but is production is good , for a bad years .... a goal/game , but he will rebounce next years :yo:

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
gars59 said:
Latendresse last :confused: :confused: , he was the real deal in pre season , yes we know he had a bad year, but is production is good , for a bad years .... a goal/game , but he will rebounce next years :yo:

He's a VERY lazy player, which is a very bad thing in my eyes. He's one of the laziest players I've ever seen.

Lalander977

May 18, 2006
Jon Prescription said:
He's a VERY lazy player, which is a very bad thing in my eyes. He's one of the laziest players I've ever seen.

And he has a big attitude problem as well

gars59

Jan 16, 2005
Trois-Rivières
Lalander977 said:
And he has a big attitude problem as well

??? never understand that ... you work for dummondville ??? :biglaugh:

Latendresse know a bad years , but a lot of player will want to have know there year and have his stat ! i think sutter didn't give him the opportunity to show what he is capable with team canada junior ...

Latendresse need to work on his mental and constancy

and yes he is Lazy some times , but like many power foward i saw in junior , but when he play he is unastoppable !

i think he know a bad years , beacause of his mental game , all media in montreal , are compared him at the next superstar canadien star !

Last edited:

Lalander977

May 18, 2006
gars59 said:
??? never understand that ... you work for dummondville ??? :biglaugh:

Latendresse know a bad years , but a lot of player will want to have know there year and have his stat ! i think sutter didn't give him the opportunity to show what he is capable with team canada junior ...

Latendresse need to work on his mental and constancy

and yes he is Lazy some times , but like many power foward i saw in junior , but when he play he is unastoppable !

i think he know a bad years , beacause of his mental game , all media in montreal , are compared him at the next superstar canadien star !

Wanna know why he made the WJC team but didn't play? Sutter told him he had to pick him because he was a Habs top pick that's it... Not because of his play. And another thing, speaking of media, they will kill this guy, ate him alive as soon as he has a few bad games (and trust me he will) just like they scrapped Dagenais... :biglaugh:

gars59

Jan 16, 2005
Trois-Rivières
Lalander977 said:
Wanna know why he made the WJC team but didn't play? Sutter told him he had to pick him because he was a Habs top pick that's it... Not because of his play. And another thing, speaking of media, they will kill this guy, ate him alive as soon as he has a few bad games (and trust me he will) just like they scrapped Dagenais... :biglaugh:

SO you compared daganais to latendresse , a 27 years old guy who play for three team ... and now he play in ahl ?? and media are not against dagenais , it was the fan .....

your team , can sign dagenais this summer , you will love him , he just can't skat , dont play physical etc ...

and for sutter , you know latendresse , he told you that ????

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
Lalander977 said:

Ok i`m not gonna start on what you wrote because most of it is a big joke. The only people that know Latendresse`s potential are people that saw him in the ``Q`` or in the Habs Pre-season games. For those of you people that only saw him during the WJC, you do not know very much. If i had just seen him during that tournament i would say he`s nothing special..but having seen him in the rookie camp and then the pre-season and the Q...hes got big time potential....will he ever live up to it..who knows! Yes he can be lazy and he is immature right now...but when he wants to, he hits like a freight train and has very good hands. During the Quebec/Russia challenge games he looked like a man among boys..just dominating..and this as an 18 year old. He had a very up and down year but still scored nearly a goal a game....pretty impressive. if he managese to take his training more seriously and grows up a bit (which i think he will do). He will be a true NHL power forward. Just my 2 cents

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
Jon Prescription said:

Couple of fights & loves the rough stuff isn't really enough evidence that a player has a meanstreak. Powerforwards are just nasty players, looking to hurt opponents in every situation.

I haven't seen enough of JEssiman but from what I've read/heard, he's not a player with a real meanstreak. I could be wrong tho.

The powerforward label is thrown around way too easily anyway, Bobby Ryan and Steve Bernier are not powerforwards, not yet atleast.

Lalander977

May 18, 2006
gars59 said:
SO you compared daganais to latendresse , a 27 years old guy who play for three team ... and now he play in ahl ?? and media are not against dagenais , it was the fan .....

your team , can sign dagenais this summer , you will love him , he just can't skat , dont play physical etc ...

and for sutter , you know latendresse , he told you that ????

I'm not comparing their potential rather that the fact that they are both lazy and that the fans won't accept that from Guillaume. I think they have a similar game (Latendresse being a little bit more agressive) and I just believe that as high as his ceiling might be, him having a similar career has Dagenais wouldn't surprise me at all... As for the rumor, that's what's he apparently told other LHJMQ players as well as wanting to quit hockey after his unsuccesful WJC...

Lalander977

May 18, 2006
Harold_Snepps_Rocks said:
Ok i`m not gonna start on what you wrote because most of it is a big joke. The only people that know Latendresse`s potential are people that saw him in the ``Q`` or in the Habs Pre-season games.For those of you people that only saw him during the WJC, you do not know very much. If i had just seen him during that tournament i would say he`s nothing special..but having seen him in the rookie camp and then the pre-season and the Q...hes got big time potential....will he ever live up to it..who knows! Yes he can be lazy and he is immature right now...but when he wants to, he hits like a freight train and has very good hands. During the Quebec/Russia challenge games he looked like a man among boys..just dominating..and this as an 18 year old. He had a very up and down year but still scored nearly a goal a game....pretty impressive. if he managese to take his training more seriously and grows up a bit (which i think he will do). He will be a true NHL power forward. Just my 2 cents

Only time will tell but he won't IMO

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
Steve Bernier
Bobby Ryan
Guillerme Latendresse
James Sheppard
Brian Boyle
Kyle Okposo
Hugh Jessimen

The n00b King ©*

Lalander977 said:
I'm not comparing their potential rather that the fact that they are both lazy and that the fans won't accept that from Guillaume. I think they have a similar game (Latendresse being a little bit more agressive) and I just believe that as high as his ceiling might be, him having a similar career has Dagenais wouldn't surprise me at all... As for the rumor, that's what's he apparently told other LHJMQ players as well as wanting to quit hockey after his unsuccesful WJC...

it's not possible to compare dagenais to latendresse. Dags NEVER used his frame and he was like barely 200 pounds at 6'5. the only thing Dags ever did was shoot. from everwhere. couldnt skate, didnt hit, couldnt pass, didnt fight. nothing. he was terrible....

Latendresse is 18 and he's 220 (was heavier cuz he was fat at some point...).

One of the reasons he had such a bad year is definitely attributed to the fact that he's immature. When he came to montreal pre-season, people in the bell centre were chanting "GUI GUI GUI" (a la Guy Lafleur)...the media made him the next coming of, a french power forward....someone the people had been waiting for since Lafleur...He scored like 3 goals and 2 assists in 3 games...granted it was just preseason, but the guy did NOT at all look like he didnt fit.

He was totally primed up to being treated like a God here...

But the reality of it was that he still needed some time for development...and he got REALLY down about it when he was sent back to the Q. Which wasnt a surprise to me at all. He needed to go back to the Q, dominate it, go to the WJC, dominate that (which he didnt do at all, cuz he obviously didnt care...) and then perhaps get another shot at it next year, when he would of matured.

If you look though, in the other half of the season in the Q, he really turned it on. He was definitely a man amongst boys there....totally dominating games to himself. If he can just grow up and stay that way, not get the success he might have in Montreal get to him, he'll be a monster to be reckoned with....

oh and one more thing...can we please stop spelling his name "GUILLERME" ??? it's "GUILLAUME" .......

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
Lalander977 said:
Only time will tell but he won't IMO

Well thats why everybody has their own opinions...otherwise HFBoards would be pretty boring. But having seen what i did at the Russia/Canada challenge and during the pre-season....I think he will. Montreal will make him want to succeed...do not compare him to Dagenais...they coulden`t be farther apart in terms of talent...Al Dagenais can do is shoot....he`s slow as can be, has not an ounce of physical play in him, especially for a man that size...can not pass for the life of him and has horrible hockey sense...Lats` only real weaknesses are skating (which hes improved a lot) and inconsistency (I think he`ll get much better). The Habs have him on a special program this summer working with one of their specialized trainers...that should help a lot...

Lalander977

May 18, 2006
Harold_Snepps_Rocks said:
Well thats why everybody has their own opinions...otherwise HFBoards would be pretty boring. But having seen what i did at the Russia/Canada challenge and during the pre-season....I think he will. Montreal will make him want to succeed...do not compare him to Dagenais...they coulden`t be farther apart in terms of talent...Al Dagenais can do is shoot....he`s slow as can be, has not an ounce of physical play in him, especially for a man that size...can not pass for the life of him and has horrible hockey sense...Lats` only real weaknesses are skating (which hes improved a lot) and inconsistency (I think he`ll get much better). The Habs have him on a special program this summer working with one of their specialized trainers...that should help a lot...

I hope he will get back on track and get serious about his hockey career so Habs fans can finally get their long awaited offensive superstar, the first in 3 decades (Lafleur)

Randall Graves*

Jason MacIsaac said:
Ok, how about 'big skilled player'?

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Pepper said:
Couple of fights & loves the rough stuff isn't really enough evidence that a player has a meanstreak. Powerforwards are just nasty players, looking to hurt opponents in every situation.

I haven't seen enough of JEssiman but from what I've read/heard, he's not a player with a real meanstreak. I could be wrong tho.

I would consider you wrong on that. I've seen him a lot more, obviously. He definately does have a decent mean streak. The one thing he needs to do more is drive to the net and show that streak in play more.

Blades of Glory

Troll Captain
Feb 12, 2006
California
RallyKiller said:
Hugh Jessimen
Steve Bernier
Bobby Ryan
Guillerme Latendresse
Brian Boyle
Kyle Okposo
James Sheppard

For the guys I've seen:

Ryan
Bernier
Latendresse
Boyle

Bernier has done something at the NHL level, Ryan hasn't had a chance yet, but Ryan does have a higher ceiling. Bernier is better right now, but I think Ryan will be better in the future, IF he reaches his potential.

jcpenny

Aug 8, 2002
Montréal
Visit site
Lalander977 said:
I hope he will get back on track and get serious about his hockey career so Habs fans can finally get their long awaited offensive superstar, the first in 3 decades (Lafleur)
Although he doesnt produce like lafleur, im happy with Kovalev. The things i read about Latendresse are the same i heard about Bernier before he made it to the NHL. Fat, Lazy, poor skater and Latendresse has way better stats that he had at the same time. He scored 43 goals in 50 games on a "bad year". When on his game this 6'2 225lbs beast is hard to stop. He even has the potential to be better than Bernier. He only needs to work on work habits and consistency like Bernier and many 18 year olds.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad