Rank these players for speed

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
Just trying to get a gauge for how fast some of the new guys are. I've mixed in some NHLers for comparison purpose.

Ovechkin
Crosby
Kessel
Backstrom
Kovalchuk
Malkin
Brule
E. Staal
Gaborik
Radulov

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
its too hard to determine exactly but id say right now at top speed they go something like this

kessel/gaborik
ovechkin/malkin/kovalchuk
crosby/brule/staal
backstrom

Chrisd

Dec 20, 2005
its too hard to determine exactly but id say right now at top speed they go something like this

kessel/gaborik
ovechkin/malkin/kovalchuk
crosby/brule/staal
backstrom

ive seen gabby and kessel both live a hundred times.

Gaborik is easily faster.

haelwho

Mar 8, 2006
Boston
Gaborik
Kessel
Ovechkin
Crosby
Brule
Kovalchuk
Malkin
Radulov
E. Staal
Backstrom

I'm really not sure where Backstrom fits.

Russian_fanatic

Jan 19, 2004
1)Kessell
2)Gaborik
3)Brule
4)Ovechkin
5)Crosby
6)Kovalchuk
7)Malkin
8)Radulov
9)E. Staal
10)Backstrom

Chrisd

Dec 20, 2005
lol@ anyone who thinks kessel could be gaborik in a race.

I have gopher season tix and catch about every wild game.

Gaborik has a extra gear kessel only dreams about. And i like kessel, but if you watched both of them play a lot you would realize it's not that close.

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
I think top speed Gabby and Kessel are close. What seperates Gaborik and makes him look faster is his strength. Kessel, at this point in time, gets tugged or bumped and it really effects him. So Kessel uses more agility going left and right and getting d men to twist and turn. Gaborik has the speed and strength to just go up the line and then if he has to can still fire with a guy on him. Kessel needs total open ice to really shoot effectavly. I still give the egde to Gabby. But not by much and in three years it will be very close.

MM425

Aug 14, 2005
Gaborik
Kovalchuck
Kessel
Ovechkin
Crosby
Malkin
Brule
Stall
Radulov
Backstrom

All of them are great skaters in their own right, however.

Corona-12

May 17, 2006
BC, Canada
Just trying to get a gauge for how fast some of the new guys are. I've mixed in some NHLers for comparison purpose.

Ovechkin
Crosby
Kessel
Backstrom
Kovalchuk
Malkin
Brule
E. Staal
Gaborik
Radulov

tier 1 - Gaborik/Kessel/Ovechkin
tier 2 - Kovalchuk/Brule
tier 3 - Malkin/Crosby/Staal/Radulov/Backstrom

Vic Rattlehead*

lol@ anyone who thinks kessel could be gaborik in a race.

I have gopher season tix and catch about every wild game.

Gaborik has a extra gear kessel only dreams about. And i like kessel, but if you watched both of them play a lot you would realize it's not that close.

Jeez, you make it sound as if Kessel is a slow skater, when in reality, he'll be one of the best skaters in the NHL in the future.

gars59

Jan 16, 2005
Trois-Rivières
Jeez, you make it sound as if Kessel is a slow skater, when in reality, he'll be one of the best skaters in the NHL in the future.

this guy is a homer dont read him , before patty o'sullivan was trade he was a god , now he will not be that good

Kessel
Gaborik
Kovalchuk
Ovechkin
Crosby
Brule
Malkin
Radulov
Staal
Backstrom

Chrisd

Dec 20, 2005

I've seen kessel in every home game and 2 road games this year, i think i have a better feel on his skating then you perhaps. Keep in mind I love kessel as a player. This is in no way diminishing his skill set, but gaborik is quite a bit faster, acceleration wise and top speed.

Chrisd

Dec 20, 2005
this guy is a homer dont read him , before patty o'sullivan was trade he was a god , now he will not be that good

Kessel
Gaborik
Kovalchuk
Ovechkin
Crosby
Brule
Malkin
Radulov
Staal
Backstrom

You're the homer my friend....when did i say kessel wasn't good? I'm a gopher season ticket holder, who has a phil kessel jersey yet i'm a homer???

get a life dude, and go tell us how kostitsyn is the next kovalchuk or how latendresse is the next cam neely.

GlueleG

Mar 29, 2002
Brooklin, Ontario
Visit site
Everyone is rating Backstrom at or near the bottom from this list of players ... is that to say that he is not a very fast skater ... or that up against these players he simply does not rank high?

crosby_87

Jun 22, 2005
Everyone is rating Backstrom at or near the bottom from this list of players ... is that to say that he is not a very fast skater ... or that up against these players he simply does not rank high?

All those players are very fast, so it's really not that much separating them. Keep in mind that most of the players listed are some of the top skaters in the NHL. No knock on Backstrom IMO.

And to those who think Kessel is faster then Gaborik right now...are you on crack? Gaborik IMO is the best skater in the NHL. Very very powerful stride. Kessel is one of the best skaters in college hockey, but the WCHA is no NHL. I can't believe people think that Kessel is faster then Gaborik.

Garo

Jul 30, 2005
Montréal

He's a very good skater but these guys are elite, though I would probably rank him before Staal and Radulov.

Chrisd

Dec 20, 2005
All those players are very fast, so it's really not that much separating them. Keep in mind that most of the players listed are some of the top skaters in the NHL. No knock on Backstrom IMO.

And to those who think Kessel is faster then Gaborik right now...are you on crack? Gaborik IMO is the best skater in the NHL. Very very powerful stride. Kessel is one of the best skaters in college hockey, but the WCHA is no NHL. I can't believe people think that Kessel is faster then Gaborik.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH......this coming from a season ticket holder of the gophers who loves kessel.

Gaborik is at this poing WITHOUT a doubt faster and it's not really that close. Is that me knocking phil kessel????? Heck no, he's a great talent, but speed wise, he's not in the same ball park. Watch these players in 10 games each and it will be easy to recognize....I think some peopel spout off without actually breaking it down.

Slitty

Oct 23, 2005
I believe Kovalchuk is a faster skater than Ovechkin... thats the extent of my input.

Gophers

Nov 23, 2004
Chrisd is completely right. I also see both Kessel and Gaborik play all season long and although Phil has completely blown me out of my chair with his speed(seriously) I still think Marian is faster.

It didnt come across that Chris was knocking on Kessel's skating either.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad