Rank these goalies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chaos Giraffe

Dec 1, 2004
Vancouver
Man, it's way too early........

None of them have proven anything yet. All we can say is that Al Montoya is probably the most "highly regarded" of that list. That's about it.

allin4466

Apr 8, 2005
Wj

Brule said:
Man, it's way too early........

None of them have proven anything yet. All we can say is that Al Montoya is probably the most "highly regarded" of that list. That's about it.
even with the world juniors he had this year?

O.T.

Mar 9, 2002
City of Champions
Visit site
oliver said:
I need an order of best to worst in terms on nhl career:

Cory Schneider
Jimmy Howard
Al Montoya
Devan Dubnyk
Dave Shantz
Kevin Nastiuk

Thanks.

I can't give you a list on how each of there NHL careers will turn out, but if I was the GM of a team this is how I would rank them if they were all draft eligable.

1.Jimmy Howard (more of a sure thing than the other goalies)
2.Devan Dubnyk (IMO if the Oilers develop him right he has the highest upside)
3.Al Montoya (would have been ranked higher if he did'nt scare me at the WJC)
4.Cory Schneider (first year out of high school, only going to get better with time)
5.Kevin Nastiuk (had a good season in the WHL, but IMO lowest upside on the list)
6.Dave Shantz (more potential than Nastiuk but not as sure to reach it)

allin4466

Apr 8, 2005
FLYLine4LIFE said:
So he let in a few bad goals and now hes bad?? :dunno:
bah it seems every post i make on here gets misunderstood. Sorry, i wasnt claiming he was bad, and i'll even admit, the WJ's are the only time i have seen the guy play. Did he have a standout season wherever he played this year? He just looked out of it at the WJ's.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
allin4466 said:
bah it seems every post i make on here gets misunderstood. Sorry, i wasnt claiming he was bad, and i'll even admit, the WJ's are the only time i have seen the guy play. Did he have a standout season wherever he played this year? He just looked out of it at the WJ's.

He had a alright season, not a great one..but he made the big saves when his team needed to. The team hes on was an offensive powerhouse...so he faced a lot of odd man rushes.

NYRangers

Aug 11, 2004
I'd still say Montoya by a decent margin. Not just because I am a Rangers fan. But I think people put too much into tourneys in general. For example, with the 05 draft, I find it weak when people say "Well XXXX's WJC was a lot better." Just seems like not enough of a sample to make an assesment.

oil slick

Feb 6, 2004
NYRangers said:
I'd still say Montoya by a decent margin. Not just because I am a Rangers fan. But I think people put too much into tourneys in general. For example, with the 05 draft, I find it weak when people say "Well XXXX's WJC was a lot better." Just seems like not enough of a sample to make an assesment.

I was under the impression that it was his stats at Michigan that were pretty bad. I could be wrong though... I've not actually looked them up.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
oliver said:
I need an order of best to worst in terms on nhl career:

Cory Schneider
Jimmy Howard
Al Montoya
Devan Dubnyk
Dave Shantz
Kevin Nastiuk

Thanks.

Montoya
Dubnyk
Schneider
Howard
Shantz
Nastiuk

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
oil slick said:
I was under the impression that it was his stats at Michigan that were pretty bad. I could be wrong though... I've not actually looked them up.

.895 save % this year, which is pretty terrible. Worst amongst starting goaltenders in the CCHA. Couple that with his iffy WJC and not exactly the best season for him.

NYRangers

Aug 11, 2004
No, it wasn't a good season at all. But it was mostly the WJC. He was actually decent in Michigan. I got to watch a lot of the games. The team was pretty bad this year.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Montoya was also 30-7. I don't care what your save percentage is, a winning percentage like that means that as a goaltender, he probably wasn't often challenged to come up with a big performance.

Debrincat93

Dec 4, 2002
Michigan
Nhl.com
its funny because i saw montoya last year and a few games on tv this year, hes been by far not even the best goalie in the game he was playing that day (meaning whoever the other goalie was basically out played him, more saves, less GA).. maybe i just catch him on off games

Attica

Feb 21, 2004
The Office
If we're going by potential, then Schnieder tops this list easily, however, considering current development, I think he falls somewhere in the middle.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Montoya was also 30-7. I don't care what your save percentage is, a winning percentage like that means that as a goaltender, he probably wasn't often challenged to come up with a big performance.

he often didn't have to make a lot of saves but was put into situations where he had to try to make really tough saves...odd man breaks, breakaways, guys left alone in front of him. so it was rough on his save %...but he also had consistancy issues for much of the year, even period to period. sometimes he'd start out shakey and then really turn it on later in the game, etc. i'm not sure he was completely "in" all the games he played this year, mentally. hopefully it's a good learning year for him overall though...he did turn it on in the postseason tournaments

Vatican Roulette

Baile de Los Locos
Feb 28, 2002
Gorillaz-EPWRID
Visit site
oil slick said:

I couldn't tell you what they were off hand either, but living 20 minutes away from Ann Arbor, i can tell you, they aren't lying.

He did have a lot of odd man rushes, but he is very inconsistant. He may have one game where he looks fantastic, but the next he looks horrible.

He also gives plenty of soft goals. He would not be the goaltender i would want behind my defense. It looks to me like his head got a little too big after last year, and maybe his focus went down as a result, just speculation though.

Schlep Rock

Feb 28, 2002
USA
I'll just comment on the NCAA guys since that's who I see most often...

1. Montoya
2. Howard
3. Schneider

Al has the most potential of the group and the most talent. Who knows how it'll all package together as far as an NHL career but he should be a good one.

Howard has the tool box, he's inconsistent though. If he can improve on his consistency he could be relied on as a starter at the next level (NHL? AHL?) but otherwise he's going to find himself opening the doors for his teammates.

Schneider, I was never completely sold on him and after seeing him a few times this year plus his Frozen Four meltdown, kids got a lot of work to do. Goalies take longer to develop so by no means am I writing him off (especially since he was only in high school last year) but you expect a little more from a first rounder than just a regular kid coming out of high school. Jerry York should've yanked him after the 3 goals vs. UND in the Frozen Four but he didn't and only god knows what that did to the kids confidence. He was less than stellar vs. Mercyhurst in the Frozen Four, (18 saves, 4 goals allowed). His one shutout, he faced 11 shots.

That's how *I* rank them today, that can change at any point based on their continued development.

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
Jimmy Howard
Cory Schneider
Al Montoya
Kevin Nastiuk
Dave Shantz
Devan Dubnyk

Dubnyk could be a real riser if they increase the size of the nets though.

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
Schlep Rock said:
I'll just comment on the NCAA guys since that's who I see most often...

1. Montoya
2. Howard
3. Schneider

Al has the most potential of the group and the most talent. Who knows how it'll all package together as far as an NHL career but he should be a good one.

Howard has the tool box, he's inconsistent though. If he can improve on his consistency he could be relied on as a starter at the next level (NHL? AHL?) but otherwise he's going to find himself opening the doors for his teammates.

Schneider, I was never completely sold on him and after seeing him a few times this year plus his Frozen Four meltdown, kids got a lot of work to do. Goalies take longer to develop so by no means am I writing him off (especially since he was only in high school last year) but you expect a little more from a first rounder than just a regular kid coming out of high school. Jerry York should've yanked him after the 3 goals vs. UND in the Frozen Four but he didn't and only god knows what that did to the kids confidence. He was less than stellar vs. Mercyhurst in the Frozen Four, (18 saves, 4 goals allowed). His one shutout, he faced 11 shots.

That's how *I* rank them today, that can change at any point based on their continued development.

Frozen four meltdown? The entire team collapsed leaving Schneider to take the brunt of ND's attack.

You can't base Schneider's future on the Frozen Four alone. You obviously you ignored his stellar performance's in the Hockey East tourney.

Howard inconsistent? He was a rock all season long. How in the world can you penalize Howard(which he shouldn't be at all) and Schneider for inconsistent play and rank Montoya number one? Montoya is the model of inconsistency

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad