Rank These Four Players

Pwnasaurus

Feb 21, 2003
Robot City
That's a great question, but I think that if there is one no-brainer, it's Hasek at No. 1. The reality of Dominik Hasek is he's one of the few players in NHL history who truly is one of a kind. I think we've seen goalies come along in recent years who are as quick and as agile as Hasek (Roman Cechmanek had Hasek's ability and Martin Brodeur's size, but just didn't have what it takes mentally to succeed long-term). But nobody was better at getting in their opponents head than Hasek. He had that presence about him that very few had. While he's had moments over the years in which he's been somewhat of a negative presence, he's a very tough nut to crack mentally. And let's face it: there are few goalies better at working the rules than Hasek. He'd throw the stick. He'd put the water bottle right up against the crossbar, making it difficult for cameras to see the puck cross the goal line in the event of a video review.

Hasek's a defining player in his generation, and one could even argue a revolutionary player. We've never seen another player like him, and for decades to come, people will be looking for the next Hasek.

I'd take Chelios ahead of Lidstrom. I'd say they're even as far as two-way play is concerned, and while Lidstrom is certainly the more pleasing individual to be around, I'd take Chelios for two reasons: the physical dimension, and the ability to carry his team on his back for extended periods of time. The latter is the one thing Lidstrom has never done in the playoffs. Chelios has. I certainly don't blame those who would take Lidstrom ahead of Chelios. I just don't agree with them.

So the question now becomes: where do you slot Yzerman. I would put him at No. 2. Why? Leadership. Best leader to enter the league since Bobby Clarke and Phil Esposito. In terms of overall talent/performance/accomplishments, you could rate Lidstrom and Chelios ahead of Yzerman. But when you take leadership into account, it's what pushes Yzerman over the top. Watch him in the 1996 and 2002 playoffs. He put that Detroit team on his back. In 1996, pretty much the entire Red Wings team underperformed, except for Yzerman. He was brilliant, and the reason Detroit beat St. Louis in the second round, even though St. Louis was playing their back-up. In 2002 against Vancouver, he again put that Detroit team on his back, controlling the games despite his wonky knee.

Quoted for truth

Bring Back Bucky

May 19, 2004
Canadas Ocean Playground
Your gattention is flattering (not really) but I am not interested. Please try and stick to hockey..and no more personal messages from you or your mom. ...And please note that players like Coach Gretzky, Denis Savard, Stevie Y, Dooggie Gilmour and Sittlerr were all just West division marketing exercises. Gotcha, baby!

Sorry Cooch, I don't know what you're talking about. You're right, those guys were great marketing material, they were all great athletes and marketable personalities. None would pass for a drunken, balding erectile dysfunction sufferer. As such, it is most fortunate they had other methods of putting bacon on the table and wild turkey in the plastic cupl.

chooch*

Sorry Cooch, I don't know what you're talking about. You're right, those guys were great marketing material, they were all great athletes and marketable personalities. None would pass for a drunken, balding erectile dysfunction sufferer. As such, it is most fortunate they had other methods of putting bacon on the table and wild turkey in the plastic cupl.

Who are you calling a drunk?

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Hasek is the wild card.

I'd rank the other three:

Yzerman
Chelios
Lidstrom

IMO Hasek has to either be 1st or 4th.

The argument for #1: HIs peak value is clearly the highest of the four. IMO his 6 year stretch of hockey in the late 90's is the best any goaltender has ever played the game. He clearly got in shooters heads, and could have more impact on a game than any of the other 3.

The argument for #4: Longevity, consistency and being a bit of a nutjob. With Yzerman, Chelios and Lidstrom you know exactly what you're going to get, year in and year out. In Yzerman & Chelios's case for 20+ years .. and 15 and going for Lidstrom. Steady greatness for a long period of time. All three were also leaders and for the most part extremely low maintenance.

Hasek doesn't have the longevity, is extremely high maintenance, and has also caused teams to begin to come apart at the seams. Coaches, GM's and fellow players have all at times had major issues with Hasek.

Nalyd Psycho

Feb 27, 2002
No Bandwagon
Visit site
Hasek doesn't have the longevity, is extremely high maintenance, and has also caused teams to begin to come apart at the seams. Coaches, GM's and fellow players have all at times had major issues with Hasek.

Hasek's logevity is underrated. Between 86 and 90 he was bar none the best goalie outside of the NHL winning multiple Czechslovakian MVPs and WC best goalie nods. If he was Canadian his logevity and career would probably resemble Patrick Roy's.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad