Discussion in 'NHL Draft - Prospects' started by not quite yoda, Apr 17, 2005.
How do you rank these 5 prospects and why?
1 Ryan , oh god , this kid is dangerous in the off zone.I've been able to catch some Owen sound attack games via internet.He was a force on the pp and he's a big kid.His wrist shot is incredible , he isn't a liability defensively.He has to work on his skating , he has still a lot of time to work on it.He's dominating the OHL at 17.He improved a lot and he scored 37 goals , that's quite impressive.Top 5 material.
2 Latendresse , he's a big kid who can give solid bodychecks and he has some skills.Yesterday , he almost killed a sweden player by giving a BIG bodycheck.I like his playmaking skills , he can create a lot of scoring chances.Top 10 material.
3 Zagrapan , he's like a risky pick but he has some great all around skills.His vision is great and yesterday , vs the remparts , he had a hell of a game.He had 3 goals and one assist.He has been a force for the sags offensively , during all year long.I don't know if his skills will translate to the pro game.He's floating a lot too much , he isn't so physical.His main asset is his offensive game.I'd personally not take a risk on him but the kid has a lot of upside.Top 10 material.
4 Staal , this d has a lot of tools.He's having a good year , from what I saw , he's a smart dman.He isn't often out of position , he has some good hockey sense.I liked what I saw form him in the OHL vs WHL prospects game.I really want the habs to pick him.From what I've read some coaches really like him cause he seems to be a nice guy in the locker and he seems to have a lot of leadership.I really can't wait to see what he'll do , next year! Top 15 material.
5 O'Marra , I've not been impressed by him too much.He has some skills and above average vision.He has a quick release though.Yesterday , he did impress me , him and Latendresse were so dynamic.He has some nice upside but there are a lot of questions marks surrounding him.He isn't so consistent.I think , he'll go top 15.
I think Staal has more potential than alot of people do, just something about him screams NHL talent. Ryan is a great forward, but I'd much rather have a strong defenseman, being a Blue Jacket fan.
But see, that's bias in itself, 'cause we're ranking them on who we think is best, rather than what our system needs... unless you think he's the better of the 5 either way.
Latendresse - I think he has more offensive skill than Ryan, and he's stronger... reminds me of Guerin or Bertuzzi.
Ryan - close second... excellent power forward, but his skating really isn't that good. I still think their is a good chance he'll make a perrenial NHL all-star
Zagrapan - similar to NYR's Jarkko Immonen but he's better. If his game translates, I see him becoming at least a 2nd line center for two reasons: he's that good and he lacks a defensive/physical game.
Staal - probably the least magnificent of the Staal's, but he's still surely a first rounder. I think he's regarded so highly because he's big and safer than Kindl, whom I think is better. He is good, but I don't see him going as high as many others do. I'd say 10-20.
O'Marra - big drop-off from Latendresse to O'Marra. He's a goal-scorer, but not THAT great. 7.5B HF standards.
1. Ryan - He's big and he can score. His skating isn't great but he gets the job done. He reminds of John LeClair.
2. Latendresse - Had a poor start to the year because of his shoulder and was playing tenative but he has been one of the best players in the draft in the 2nd half. He looks like he will be a good power forward.
3. Zagrapan - He sure has turned it on in the playoffs of late. Has tons of offensive skill but needs to be more consistent in his effort. He has all the ability to be a 70 point 1st line center. Reminds me of Zhamnov.
4. Staal - Safe pick. He's big and he plays tough. He's not afraid to be physical and he is very sound in his own zone. I think he will be a very good #2-4 d-man. I don't see tons of offensive upside. More of a 30 point guy.
5. O'Marra - I think he will be a 2nd line center. He's big and he plays physical at times. He doesn't have the offensive potential of the other forwards listed. Think Chris Gratton.