Rank The Prospect Dmen

Gardebut30

Jun 8, 2004
superroyain10 said:
My judging of Carle actually comes from his time in college, not in his short NHL stint.

If this is the case, then comparing his style of play, intangibles, vision, etc. that he's displayed in college to the likes of Lidstrom in the NHL is reaching at this point in time.

Randall Graves*

SmokeyClause said:
Kind of confused on how Matt Carle has the potential to be a Lidstrom-eque player. If all goes well? Carle's defensive game/positioning/strength/hockey sense would have to develop at a pace that is unrecognizable in hockey for him to be on par with Lidstrom or Neidermeyer.

I think Carle has a very good chance of becoming a real good defenseman and there's a good chance he'll be a better defenseman than Weber/Johnson/etc. But I think we are going a little overboard with him based on his success since joining the Sharks during their red-hot streak. The Carle that I've seen has no chance of being a Lidstrom type player unless he develops beyond comprehension. And if we afford him that level of development, there aren't too many players on this list that can't be considered for "greatest defenseman of the new NHL."
Carle was a great player in college too, his NHL success is not a fluke. I don't think he'll get to Lidstrom/Niedermayer level but him being in the 2nd tier of #1 dmen isn't out of the question. Phanuef/Pitkanen will be the cream of the crop like todays Lidstroms, Niedermayers, and Zubovs. Carle will be in the next tier like say a Redden or Ohlund IMO.

SmokeyClause

Feb 27, 2002
Miami, FL
Visit site
RallyKiller said:
Carle was a great player in college too, his NHL success is not a fluke. I don't think he'll get to Lidstrom/Niedermayer level but him being in the 2nd tier of #1 dmen isn't out of the question. Phanuef/Pitkanen will be the cream of the crop like todays Lidstroms, Niedermayers, and Zubovs. Carle will be in the next tier like say a Redden or Ohlund IMO.

So what are you saying? That he might be a very good defenseman but will not be a Lidstrom level defenseman? Isn't that exactly what I said?

Randall Graves*

SmokeyClause said:
So what are you saying? That he might be a very good defenseman but will not be a Lidstrom level defenseman? Isn't that exactly what I said?
No you said people were going overboard basing it on his NHL success, alot of the people who watch college hockey felt the same before.

SmokeyClause

Feb 27, 2002
Miami, FL
Visit site
RallyKiller said:
No you said people were going overboard basing it on his NHL success, alot of the people who watch college hockey felt the same before.

I think they are going overboard. But 90% of your post was in exact agreement to mine. In fact, you used your disagreement to my 'overreaction' argument to support my overall argument that he's not going to be elite, but that he could be very, very good.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad