Rank the Captains over the last 20 Years (Vote for #3)

#3 Best Captain

• Ryan McDonagh

• Ryan Callahan

• Chris Drury

• Brian Leetch

Results are only viewable after voting.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
#1. Mark Messier
#2. Jaromir Jagr

cut.jpg

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Extremely easy choice this round...Ryan Callahan. Guy left EVERYTHING on the ice every game and would take a bullet to win a game for the NYR. One of the best on ice leaders ever to wear the jersey. Also demanded accountability from his teammates on the ice and expected their best as well.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
Callahan for sure. Don't let what happened at the end cloud your judgement. He played his dick off every shift from the moment he made his debut scoring 2 goals against Boston.

And during that time he watched this organization dole out absurd amounts of money for guys like Redden, Gomez, Richards, etc. Who the Rangers had no loyalty to whatsoever and did nothing to deserve that type of money.

Then it's time for him to get his and then that is when the Rangers decide to draw the line in the sand when it comes to giving out big money contracts???

Reactions: The Crypto Guy

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Are we ranking them based on leadership or on-ice performance?

Rank them on who you feel is the better captain using whatever criteria you want. On ice performance is a large form of leadership in my book. Both go hand in hand. Busting your ass on the ice shows great leadership over someone who is half assing it on the ice (though not saying anyone on the list did).

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
I think in team identity, Callahan fit that Rangers team to a tee. But his on-ice performances - especially in the playoffs were so poor. He was playing Crosby-like minutes in his prime years and our team suffered because of it. His last few months at the team were a bit of a disgrace as well. It's no surprise that we played a lot better and went on to the finals right after trading him away.

Reactions: Machinehead

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
Leadership: Drury
On-ice performance: McDonagh
Energy: Callahan

Drury definitely had a big effect on Callahan and Dubinsky. Those two were really lucky to play with some damn good players in their formative years.

Jagr, Shanahan, Drury, Straka, etc.

Avery-Dubi-Jagr line in the 08 season was my ****

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Can't really argue with this. Drury got a front-office job despite being garbage his entire tenure here. That speaks highly of his leadership/charisma.

I always feel people fail to see why Drury was not performing as a Ranger. And that people mistakenly confuse leadership with on-ice performance.

Drury was, in my opinion, the best captain we've had in the last 25 years aside from Messier.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
I always feel people fail to see why Drury was not performing as a Ranger. And that people mistakenly confuse leadership with on-ice performance.

Drury was, in my opinion, the best captain we've had in the last 25 years aside from Messier.

He scored some big goals for us too. He came back practically on one knee and scored a huge goal in that do-or-die game against the Devils and then got the help from Tampa when they beat Carolina later that night to get to the playoffs.

Ironically he scored the last goal of his career the same game McDonagh scored his first.

Reactions: Baby Punisher

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Brian Leetch because he's Brian God Damn Leetch.

He's known as a "bad captain" and yet he's the only one here who didn't have notable performance issues after getting the C.

He averaged 28:30 a game during his captaincy, and is probably the sole reason we came close to making the playoffs every year of the Dark Ages.

Last edited:

FireGerardGallant

The Artist Formerly known as FireDavidQuinn
Mar 19, 2016
Callahan is definitely #3, and if things didn't end here the way they did for him he would most certainly be #2.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad