Rank the Captains over the last 20 Years (Vote for #2)

#2 Best Captain:

• Ryan McDonagh

• Ryan Callahan

• Chris Drury

• Jaromir Jagr

• Brian Leetch

Results are only viewable after voting.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Messier is getting #1. We are not going to disrespect him and even have a vote for that.

This should make for some interesting conversations :popcorn:

#1. Mark Messier
hqdefault.jpg

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Jagr is the clear cut winner of #2. Brought respectability back to this team after the Dark Ages and started the tradition of saluting the fans after a win.

Jagr got my vote as well. Plus he did it all...amazing leader on the ice and led by example, and he was an amazing leader off the ice and in the locker room going by all reports and interviews with players who played with him. Also added bonus he was great with the media and interviews.

Like you said, also helped turn the team around from being a joke in the league to being respectable. He was robbed of the Hart Trophy in 2006.

Vinny DeAngelo

Jimmy Easy to defend
Mar 17, 2014
florida
I went with Cally. It could be the prefect player-coach match up. It could be how much I loved the 2012 team. But he left every ounce on the ice. I think he’d take a bullet every night if it meant a chance at winning. His ending was bad but what captain departing doesn’t suck.

Reactions: The Crypto Guy

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
Jagr was a great player who just wasn't a great captain...At all.

Leeth was an amazing NY Ranger but he wasn't a strong captain either.

I had to vote Cally here over McDonagh.

Reactions: Ratelleitlikeitis

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne
How would you judge this without knowing what goes on in the locker room?

EDIT - and what made Messier such a good captain between 2000 and 2004?

Reactions: Hire Sather

Hire Sather

He Is Our Star
Oct 4, 2002
Connecticut
Yeah, no idea how we as fans are supposed to vote for this.

Gun to my head, I lean towards Jagr because of the reasons above. He is still not appreciated by some for what he did for the club.

AKA Chief

Sep 29, 2017
Cally and then McD. None of the others struck me as particularly good Captains. Jagr was a great player. Leetch was also great but he was lost after Mess left. I don't understand what Drury did to garner so much favor with people, The team was horrendous when he was here and he was a shell of his former self (and being paid ridiculous money to boot).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad