5. Gabriel Landeskog
  6. Patrik Laine
  7. Andrei Svechnikov
  8. Nolan Patrick
  9. Sam Reinhardt
  10. Ryan Murray

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
Clearly most respondents didn't read OP. Which doesn't say much about most respondents, but it doesn't say much about OP either.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
You think Laine's been the worst 2nd overall pick of the past decade?

I know I make fun of his fans and their 60+ goal projections every single season, but the guy's been a legitimate top line sniper every season. I don't see how he's worse than guys who haven't even come close to his level of success.

It's due to advanced stats. Laine has awful metrics and isn't anything great 5on5. Now I do think Dominic overstates the importance of 5on5, and underrates PP, but nevertheless Laine isn't as good as his stats say since he relies mostly on his shot which will decline faster a decade later than someone relying on other means to be productive.

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
I guess people don’t look at Patrick play, just look at statlines.

Oct-Dec is a huge period for him next year. If he finally turns up in the first half of the year then he’ll be taken seriously.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
#2 picks 2009-2018 based upon how I see their careers panning out:

Hedman
Seguin
Laine
Barkov
Eichel
Landeskog
Svechnikov
Reinhart
Patrick
Murray

Shnooks

Apr 18, 2017
Until Svechnikov and Patrick put up 65 points in a season, they are not ahead of Sam Reinhart.

Nor is Seguin ahead of Eichel.

Shnooks

Apr 18, 2017
So, based solely on pre-draft hype?

1. Eichel -- everyone and their mother said he would go 1st in any draft between Crosby and McDavid
2. Hedman
3. Barkov -- monster numbers in his draft year, but he was fighting with Jones and Drouin for the #2 ranking
4. Seguin -- was legitimately in play for #1OA his draft year, but it wasn't as strong a draft as some of the others
5. Laine
6. Svechnikov
7. Landeskog
8. Patrick
9. Reinhart -- pretty weak top-end of the draft, and Bennett and Draisaitl were also in play at #2
10. Murray -- such a weak top-end in that draft
Sam Bennett? Lol. Why even mention him? He can't hold Reinhart's jockstrap.

Bennett's career high in points is 36...Reinhart's is 65.

Thank God Murray took Reinhart over Bennett. I'll hear the Draisaitl argument, but at the time Reinhart was seen as a 1st line center and ahead of him.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Sam Bennett? Lol. Why even mention him? He can't hold Reinhart's jockstrap.

Bennett's career high in points is 36...Reinhart's is 65.

Thank God Murray took Reinhart over Bennett. I'll hear the Draisaitl argument, but at the time Reinhart was seen as a 1st line center and ahead of him.

Because OP said to ignore their NHL careers, meaning the ranking is based solely on how they were regarded in their draft year. In 2014, everyone knew who the top 4 picks were gonna be, but I don't think anyone would've been surprised if they had gone in a completely different order.

SensontheRush

Never said it was Sunshine
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa
Feel like Seguin is being underrated.

Hedman - The only one on the list considered perennial top player in his position.
Seguin - Decade of PPG player
Eichel - Room to move up to Hedman level.
Barkov - Room to move ahead of Seguin. Break out season. Could flip him and Eichel at the moment but Eichel has shown similar potential at a younger age.
Landeskog - Don't see him surpassing any of the guys above him by careers end.
Murray - Top 4 established. Injury prone.
Laine - Shown to be a 40 goal threat before.
Reinhart - Coming around, could move up past Landeskog in a season or two if he starts topping out as a legit top line 70-80 point. Similar career trajectory as Landeskog so far, with less of the "intangibles"
Svechnikov - First full season, lots of promise but wouldn't put him ahead of the likes of guys like Laine and Reinhart who've already established a higher floor than wheren Svechnikov is at current development. Could see him surpassing Murray if he develops well.
Patrick - Injuries have held him back. Could become a Barkov/Landeskog level player if he gets healthy and develops into what was expected.

I agree with most of this list, but having Murray that high is egregious. Easily beneath both Laine and Reinhart.

treple13

Sep 1, 2013
Obviously an impossible list to make due to it being based on opinions that aren't current, but:

1- Eichel
2- Hedman
3- Laine
4- Seguin
5- Barkov
6- Svechnikov
7- Landeskog
8- Reinhart
9- Patrick
10- Murray

KoozNetsOff 92

Hala Madrid
Apr 6, 2016
99% of people clearly didn't read the op.

Eichel
Hedman
Seguin
Laine
Barkov
Svechnikov
Landeskog
Reinhart
Patrick
Murray

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
I'm guessing this is on how they were hyped in their draft years?

Eichel
Hedman
Seguin
Laine
Svechnikov
Patrick
Barkov
Landeskog
Reinhart
Murray

Ad

Upcoming events