Larry Brooks: Rangers will be selling

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baby Punisher

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2012
Staten Island, NY
I was waaaay ahead of that curve and decision. Never advocated he being our Capt. Too soft spoken and to this day, still sounds like a Tortorella replica. Sentences ending in "here" for eg. I thought it would have better served if it was Kreider as he might have "ran" with it and become an instant force EVERY GAME due to leadership responsibilities. You know, becoming what we wanted out of Krieds.
I wanted Girardi at that time. You and I were in the minority at not believing McD was ready to be Captain. For me it goes back to that game 7 against Tampa Bay when they just didn't show up. Mac played injured and that emotion wasn't enough to rally the team to compete more than it did that night. The Collapse against Ottawa didn't help either. I don't think he has played bad this season. Streaky here and there.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
The Rangers have been good so far about not committing to those long-term (6-8 years) contracts aside from Hank. I hope we can keep it that way.

Losing McD stings, but we have to take a good look in the mirror and ask if we have a roster capable of getting us the cup. I don't think we do. The team, as configured, just doesn't have it.
That's because there really isn't and hasn't been a player that warrants THAT KIND of a contract, since Hank. As it is, look at the recent longest contracts of Dan, Marc and Nash. Look what that has gotten us. It's always about the term, more than the actual AAV.

I agree. He's 35 years old with 3 years after this one at an $8.5 mil cap hit. Good teams also have good goaltending and most teams wouldn't be able to find the cap space for him as well and then it would cost a lot to get him in picks and players.....and for a 35 year old making a massive amount of money I just don't see that flying. We'll add that he has a full NMC and could nix any deal that could be made. To me he's not marketable at least until his last contracted season and depending on whether he's still playing at top form (or close to it) then.
All it would take is just ONE KEY GOALIE to go down with an injury for the season on a super contending cup team. What are the "odds" that Vegas would attempt a 6th goalie for a real shot with a proven PO goaltender? (Pun intended)

1. Lundqvist is not going anywhere. 2. This is a retool (thank God) not a teardown. Nash was always going at the deadline (can't afford his contract next year) and if the team can get value then Grabner and Holden are also out the door. There's still a youngish core (Zibajanad, Kreider, Hayes, Miller, Buchnevich, Vesey, Fast, (maybe) Letteri, Anderson and Chytill) of forwards. 3. Yes you can ask about McDonagh. Be prepared to pony up a future top pair defenseman (Liljegren, Heiskanen ?) and at least one other prime asset. The price is sky high as it should be. The Rangers desperately need young help on defense. 4. Gorton or one of his underlings probably leaked this to stir up the trade market. Call on anyone.
For me, this was blatantly obvious. One of the smartest moves our organization has ever made. Let's just wait and see. Gotta be tons of "feelers" out there.

I can't wait to see the complete meltdown of this fanbase when Zuccarello is traded haha. Menopausal women will stock up on antidepressants
Despite not having a good season, he will get his 55-60 pts and IMO is the "glue" on this team and will be sorely missed if he gets traded. In my eyes, he's the heart and bleeds Rangers blue. This team will never be the same and will hurt much more than when we traded Dubi, AA and more recently Brass, even though was thrilled to get Zbad.

Yeah, Mika's a guy you hang on to. Obviously EVERYONE has a price that you'd deal them at but my list of guys that don't go from the current roster are...

Buch
Mika
Kreider
Shattenkirk
Skjei
Henrik

Those guys are listed for a variety of reasons related to contract, age, skill, etc. Again, if you get an offer that blows you away you obviously take it but those are the ones I'm hanging on to for sure. Anyone else is fair game.
I'm sorry but I would "have to" add Hayes to that list, if not JT as well. Kevin really is blossoming in his role and wouldn't surprise me if he surpassed Zbad someday. Maybe he just needs a new coach, I dunno......but he's been quietly great. JT is what he is, a good playmaker and always dares to make that low pctg. pass that sometimes gets burned with.
Edit. If Kevin ever got "stronger" dare I say that is what is missing?

Come on now, Allaire might be the best in the league, but so is Lundqvist, and he has been for a decade. Getting to play under both of them will be equally as important for his development in the NHL. They will each teach him different things.

As far as the blaming teammates thing, I know you're partly joking, but there are fans out there that think Hank is a dick for giving his teammates **** on the ice, but name one guy in the league who more deservedly should be giving his teammates ****. Then most nights he'll be the first guy in that locker-room saying he needs to be or could have been better.

There really isn't.

Does anyone REMEMBER Hank attempting to pull himself out of a game in the 1st period in which he gave up 3 early goals, I believe under Renney? Renney told him to get back between the pipes......we don't do that here. Please tell me someone else here remembers that scenario. Help me here.

If we're comparing the defense to a house, it's a rotting wooden shack that needs to be turned into rubble and rebuilt from scratch...

Which means mcdonagh is the foundation of a ****ty home

I'm more than ok with trading him
OMG! Trying to catch up with this thread and I posted almost exactly the same thing........quite a bit later on. LMAO.

Exactly. McD is 28 and will just be 29 next season. At 50% retention his cap hit would be an insane $2.25MM. A player of his caliber, age and cap hit has not been available, I don't think ever honestly, since the beginning of the salary cap age.

Although 31 years old, Zucc at 50% would only be $2.35MM for 1.5 years. Nuts!
Even at a pro-rated 4.5 for the remainder of this season.....EVERY TEAM can afford that. I don't think money is the issue here and ANY potential PO team would be adding that "defensive piece" (a nice one at that) where you could never have enough defense come PO time. MAKE A TEAM PAY BIG, OR GO HOME! Gorton won't F this up.......he cannot, and better not. I believe he knows what the heck he is doing, and has a plan.

I don't think McD will fetch as much as we want here. He's not the same player from a couple of years ago especially on the offensive side. Heck, he just scored his first goal of the season the last game.

We all thought Talbot was going to fetch a 1st+ and we ended up with a 5th I believe.

Just because we were stupid enough to give up 2 firsts + Cally for MSL that doesn't mean another GM will

Is it any wonder as to why the Rangers are in this mode, and Tampa is in theirs? How in the hell did we get ripped off that badly from a team that their player ONLY wanted to play for the Rangers. I mean, didn't we have them where we wanted them? It is like they stole the gun out of our hands and shot 1st.

Literally from his mouth he’s said, I either win it in New York or I don’t win it at all.

His whole life is here, family, business interests. He’s in the NHL Hall of Fame and will be revered within the walls of MSG and New York Rangers fans hearts forever.

He’s done it all, broken all the records he’s needed to break and he only has one left.

But he wants to do it here.
One man can't possibly get EVERYTHING he wants, right?

But if anyone deserves it, I guess that would be Hank.
If I'm Hank (oh, how I wish), would you want to win a cup "that badly" for another team or would you rather go down in Rangers HISTORY as only playing for ONE team and the greatest Ranger goalie ever, DESPITE not winning a cup? (Assuming he doesn't)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: PuckLuck3043

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
All it would take is just ONE KEY GOALIE to go down with an injury for the season on a super contending cup team. What are the "odds" that Vegas would attempt a 6th goalie for a real shot with a proven PO goaltender? (Pun intended)

All it would take? It would still take more than that. At the end of the day keeping in mind that Henrik would have to agree to go as well......but what would Vegas give the Rangers for him? So let's discuss the parameters of what it would cost Vegas. How many of Brannstrom, Glass and Suzuki if not all of them would the Rangers want in return for their star goaltender with three years left to go? Would that be enough? I'm thinking not because taking Henrik off of our roster and we don't have a (signed) goalie going forward into next year--so I'd be adding Subban to the haul and maybe even their 1st in this or next year's draft because a Hall of Fame goaltender playing like a Hall of Fame goaltender ain't coming cheap and keeping in mind that Malcolm Subban is playing pretty well for them I kind of think the Golden Knights would balk at that and see how far Malcolm could take them instead. Keeping in mind also that adding Henrik to the Vegas lineup is going to explode their cap for the next three years. They have some room but they've also been trying to lock up players that were on one year deals.

Last edited:

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
Not going to read the whole thread, but I will believe what Brooks is claiming when I see it. I hope he is right, but I doubt it.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
Brooks is basically a mouthpiece for the organization. As much as I hate him, he's got more sources than anyone out there.

Yup. Apparently he needs to change the font in his articles when he switches from reporting to opinion b/c people don't understand it.

Sources are reporting rangers will be active in the market. I would look to get Nylander for McDonagh. Not clear enough apparently.

(And I don't even like the guy)

Reactions: Youre Dam Tyutin

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
i havent had a chance to use my computer in several days so typing a response worth of this discussion has been difficult.

been paying attention though.

First...ECSTATIC at this decision. When I read the article I went absolutely batshit crazy in a good way.

Second...I dont have an issue with any of the trades that Gorton has made OTHER than the Staal trade and the Hagelin/Talbot trades which may or may not have been sather trades...who knows.

My issues have been with the moves they didnt make...IE not selling off Yandle at the deadline, etc. Not firing AV, etc.

I'd STILL do the Stepan trade...i'd STILL do the Zibenajad trade, etc.

I know @Machinehead and @silverfish have gone on several rants that i'd like to address while i have time (hopefully my kid doesnt wake up soon...)

First...I get not wanting to trade McD...I get wanting to fire AV (more than anyone). But here's what I'll say, I do not, for one second, believe that any coach in the nhl can make this team a cup contender where it stands TODAY. Even if you fire AV right this minute, and bring in Scotty Bowman or something, i just dont see the team being a cup contender. They have too many injuries, and have too many holes. The holes aren't enough to keep us out of the playoffs...but they are enough to keep the cup firmly outta reach. This leads us to next season...next year Henrik is now 36 going on 37...youre likely the same team but without Grabner and Nash 2 of your most productive players...and youre likely without anyone of note because Gorton has made it obvious that he'll only sign guys on contracts he's comfortable with term wise (dollar wise seems to be less of an issue..) is Tavares signing for less than the max? yeah..ok.
So the roster will be unquestionably worse next year than this year...and then youve got a 30ish year old Ryan McD and Zucc up for huge contracts....and a now 37 soon to be 38 year old henrik in 2 years.

Even if..and thats a big if...the 2 kids in Lias, Chytil, ADA, and whoever they get from the nash and grabner trades are ready..and even if Henrik is still Henrik (HIGHLY unlikely) then the Rangers, with everything going their way, will have just opened up the coffers for 2 guys on the wrong side of 30 with so much dependant on their goalie.

However, i'm going to give you all of that..lets say everything works out great...if thats the case, whats the window for that team? 1? 2 years? TOPS? Youve just given McD and Zucc contracts adding to at least...at LEAST 12 mil total a year...youve got Henrik who is now done, and youve still done nothing to address the lack of top line forwards/centers....unless youre banking everything on Chytil and Lias turning into those players...

No, i'm sorry im just not willing to do that. It's a mistake. Yes, McD is a top pair sure fire #1 D...arguably top 10 in the NHL, but for sure top 20. But he's got at most 4 years left of that..then the slide will start...all the while the Rangers will have low level draft picks with nothing but hopes and dreams that they'll luck out to find the next Pastrnak. or that EK65 signs here for a contract that doesnt cripple the franchise.

Sorry...I just don't see it.

It's crazy.

No, Trade Nash, Trade Grabner, Holden, DD, and then move McD and Zucc and start over with a healthy base to work from, knowing that youre still 2-3 years away from your real window opening up.

My trades?

McD to Dallas for Heiskanen+ a first or something of that ilk.
Zucc to the LAK for Vilardi + a first or something of that ilk.
Nash to Preds for Tolvanen+ a 2nd or something of that ilk.
Grabner to the Maple Leafs for a first and a mid to low range prospect.
DD for a 4th or 5th
Holden for a 2nd or 3rd...or 4th...whatever you can get.
Vesey+ (2nd? 3rd?) for Galchenyuk
JT Miller to the Knights for Cody Glass+

How much of this is realistic? I dont know..I'm not a GM..but thats what Id be looking at.

Next year your lineup is something along the lines of...

Kreider - Zibanejad - Buchnevich
Galchenyuk - Hayes - Vilardi
Tolvanen - Chytil - Andersson
Carey - Nieves - Fasth

Heiskanen - Shattenkirk
Skjei - Smith
Staal - DeAngelo

Henrik
Someone competent.

Now...is that a Stanley cup caliber lineup? No..but its got upside, its got enough veterans to be competitive, and enough youth to be exciting. will all those kids make the lineup? No, of course not. But many o fthem should, and youve got a buttload of cash to bring back Nash if you'd like, or go hard after Tavares if youre insane.

Youre Dam Tyutin

Oct 9, 2007
Brooklyn, NY
My guess would be the Rangers aren't DEFINITELY selling. They'll entertain the idea of selling if the prices are right probably. I can see them holding onto Nash and Grabner if they don't like the offers they receive. Just very glad there's no reports of them attached to buying.

LaffyTaffy

Brooklyn-Belarussian
Feb 1, 2016
Brooklyn, NY
McDonagh is not being shopped , we are listening on offers but I highly doubt Gorton is dangling our top dman for s**** and giggles.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
rants/being upset at this news that McD is being shopped.
Well. I'm not necessarily upset. I mean, ask me again when I see the return.

The whole concept of it just doesn't make sense to me.

Coaching is the main issue. I'd deal with that first. Then I'd re-evaluate before making organizational changing moves like dealing McDonagh and Zucc.

AND

If we are legitimately listening on McD and Zucc, I have no idea why we're not listening on Hank. If you're gonna rebuild, rebuild. If we sell at the deadline, what's the worst Hank lets this team play, .400 hockey? There are 32 games left. 64 points up for grabs. 40% of that is 25.6 points. 25.6 more points and this team is a 90-91 point team at the end of the season. Using Micah McCurdy's most recent projections, 91 points would be good for 18th in the league. That's a 94% chance at drafting 14th or 15th OA, and a 6% chance at moving into the top-3. Dolan will miss at least two home games worth of playoff revenue by a single standing point.

This is the definition of mediocrity.

/rant :)

Reactions: East Coast Bias

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
McDonagh is not being shopped , we are listening on offers but I highly doubt Gorton is dangling our top dman for s**** and giggles.
leaking to Larry Brooks that he's available, is the same thing as being shopped imho...i guess its all semantics...but really, it amounts to the same thing.

Are they going to take any old offer? No of course not...but giving 30 teams the chance to get a #1 defenseman...that's smart. see whats out there.

Reactions: shinchanyo

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA

Coaching is the main issue. I'd deal with that first. Then I'd re-evaluate before making organizational changing moves like dealing McDonagh and Zucc.

AND

If we are legitimately listening on McD and Zucc, I have no idea why we're not listening on Hank. If you're gonna rebuild, rebuild. If we sell at the deadline, what's the worst Hank lets this team play, .400 hockey? There are 32 games left. 64 points up for grabs. 40% of that is 25.6 points. 25.6 more points and this team is a 90-91 point team at the end of the season. Using Micah McCurdy's most recent projections, 91 points would be good for 18th in the league. That's a 94% chance at drafting 14th or 15th OA, and a 6% chance at moving into the top-3. Dolan will miss at least two home games worth of playoff revenue by a single standing point.

I dont think you fire AV now because it causes instability in the lockerroom. You wait till after the season. Unless yorue comfortable with the interm coach..which i never was...its adding an extra step tot he process which i disagree with.

Are the Hawks gonna fire Quennville? If so, wait till that happens and then pull the trigger.

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess

AND

He used the term rant similarly to how you used the term reach. lol

Reactions: Inferno

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
I dont think you fire AV now because it causes instability in the lockerroom. You wait till after the season. Unless yorue comfortable with the interm coach..which i never was...its adding an extra step tot he process which i disagree with.

Are the Hawks gonna fire Quennville? If so, wait till that happens and then pull the trigger.

Is that really on the table?

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge

I'd just make Arniel the interim. Keep some familiarity. Fire AV. Arniel interim. Ruff to offense. Put Schoney behind the bench for the D for the rest of the year.

Then, in the off-season, see who bubbles up to the surface, or give Arniel a shot. I don't think Keefe is on the Rangers radar, but he should be. Too much past with Keefe, not a Rangers type of hire.

I'd like to see what a lot of pieces on this roster do in a more 'hybrid' system than this jacked up 'man to man' garbage.

Reactions: haveandare

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
I'd just make Arniel the interim. Keep some familiarity. Fire AV. Arniel interim. Ruff to offense. Put Schoney behind the bench for the D for the rest of the year.

Then, in the off-season, see who bubbles up to the surface, or give Arniel a shot. I don't think Keefe is on the Rangers radar, but he should be. Too much past with Keefe, not a Rangers type of hire.

I'd like to see what a lot of pieces on this roster do in a more 'hybrid' system than this jacked up 'man to man' garbage.
meh. i get it..i just fail to see what it accomplishes...i figure..gut the team, find a coach whoc an work with the new roster, and then gut the coaching staff to get that guy a new start.

Benny stays of course.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
meh. i get it..i just fail to see what it accomplishes...i figure..gut the team, find a coach whoc an work with the new roster, and then gut the coaching staff to get that guy a new start.

Benny stays of course.
I don't see how this does anything but keep the Rangers mired in mediocrity until Hank is gone.

Completely gut it, meaning get everyone out the door but the 3-5 players worth building around, or fix it. No more half-assed measures.

Reactions: wafflepadsave

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
I don't see how this does anything but keep the Rangers mired in mediocrity until Hank is gone.

Completely gut it, meaning get everyone out the door but the 3-5 players worth building around, or fix it. No more half-assed measures.
"No more half-assed measures" also describes what Buffalo, Florida, Edmonton did. It's not always best to go full bore.

Imo, fire AV yesterday, move Nash and Grabner at the deadline - Holden too if there's any value there. Give the new coach and the guys who remain the rest of this season to see how they sort out and how everyone, d especially, looks without AV's systems. Don't make things worse than they have to be to get a bumped up pick, that's a bad gamble imo. I'm most interested to see how McD, Skjei and Smith would do outside of this lunacy. Listen to offers on McD and Zucc, don't move them to move them, only move either if the return includes a guy who can reasonably be thought to take their minutes in the next year or two. Also see whats out there for Miller imo.

I'd keep a lot more than 3-5 people personally.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
"No more half-assed measures" also describes what Buffalo, Florida, Edmonton did. It's not always best to go full bore.
Right, I didn't mean to imply that going full on firesale rebuild is a sure-fire way to build a successful team. There are plenty of ways to do that. There are just as many ways to fail. Don't buy into the propaganda that there is only one. If that was the case, everyone would be doing it.

The real issue is the lag between players who are perceived as good and players who are actually good, and the inability to identify one from the other with precision and consistency.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm

Imo, fire AV yesterday, move Nash and Grabner at the deadline - Holden too if there's any value there. Give the new coach and the guys who remain the rest of this season to see how they sort out and how everyone, d especially, looks without AV's systems. Don't make things worse than they have to be to get a bumped up pick, that's a bad gamble imo. I'm most interested to see how McD, Skjei and Smith would do outside of this lunacy. Listen to offers on McD and Zucc, don't move them to move them, only move either if the return includes a guy who can reasonably be thought to take their minutes in the next year or two. Also see whats out there for Miller imo.

I'd keep a lot more than 3-5 people personally.

Agreed. Our half measures were taken from 07-2010 and it brought us 4 solid seasons of cup contention and we easily could've won had it not been for (imo) coaching, the death of one player prospect and career ending injury of another

It can be done right if a team is drafting well and trading for the right prospects with a little FA luck sprinkled in

Reactions: haveandare

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
i havent had a chance to use my computer in several days so typing a response worth of this discussion has been difficult.

been paying attention though.

First...ECSTATIC at this decision. When I read the article I went absolutely bat**** crazy in a good way.

Second...I dont have an issue with any of the trades that Gorton has made OTHER than the Staal trade and the Hagelin/Talbot trades which may or may not have been sather trades...who knows.

My issues have been with the moves they didnt make...IE not selling off Yandle at the deadline, etc. Not firing AV, etc.

I'd STILL do the Stepan trade...i'd STILL do the Zibenajad trade, etc.

I know @Machinehead and @silverfish have gone on several rants that i'd like to address while i have time (hopefully my kid doesnt wake up soon...)

First...I get not wanting to trade McD...I get wanting to fire AV (more than anyone). But here's what I'll say, I do not, for one second, believe that any coach in the nhl can make this team a cup contender where it stands TODAY. Even if you fire AV right this minute, and bring in Scotty Bowman or something, i just dont see the team being a cup contender. They have too many injuries, and have too many holes. The holes aren't enough to keep us out of the playoffs...but they are enough to keep the cup firmly outta reach. This leads us to next season...next year Henrik is now 36 going on 37...youre likely the same team but without Grabner and Nash 2 of your most productive players...and youre likely without anyone of note because Gorton has made it obvious that he'll only sign guys on contracts he's comfortable with term wise (dollar wise seems to be less of an issue..) is Tavares signing for less than the max? yeah..ok.
So the roster will be unquestionably worse next year than this year...and then youve got a 30ish year old Ryan McD and Zucc up for huge contracts....and a now 37 soon to be 38 year old henrik in 2 years.

Even if..and thats a big if...the 2 kids in Lias, Chytil, ADA, and whoever they get from the nash and grabner trades are ready..and even if Henrik is still Henrik (HIGHLY unlikely) then the Rangers, with everything going their way, will have just opened up the coffers for 2 guys on the wrong side of 30 with so much dependant on their goalie.

However, i'm going to give you all of that..lets say everything works out great...if thats the case, whats the window for that team? 1? 2 years? TOPS? Youve just given McD and Zucc contracts adding to at least...at LEAST 12 mil total a year...youve got Henrik who is now done, and youve still done nothing to address the lack of top line forwards/centers....unless youre banking everything on Chytil and Lias turning into those players...

No, i'm sorry im just not willing to do that. It's a mistake. Yes, McD is a top pair sure fire #1 D...arguably top 10 in the NHL, but for sure top 20. But he's got at most 4 years left of that..then the slide will start...all the while the Rangers will have low level draft picks with nothing but hopes and dreams that they'll luck out to find the next Pastrnak. or that EK65 signs here for a contract that doesnt cripple the franchise.

Sorry...I just don't see it.

It's crazy.

No, Trade Nash, Trade Grabner, Holden, DD, and then move McD and Zucc and start over with a healthy base to work from, knowing that youre still 2-3 years away from your real window opening up.

My trades?

McD to Dallas for Heiskanen+ a first or something of that ilk.
Zucc to the LAK for Vilardi + a first or something of that ilk.
Nash to Preds for Tolvanen+ a 2nd or something of that ilk.
Grabner to the Maple Leafs for a first and a mid to low range prospect.
DD for a 4th or 5th
Holden for a 2nd or 3rd...or 4th...whatever you can get.
Vesey+ (2nd? 3rd?) for Galchenyuk
JT Miller to the Knights for Cody Glass+

How much of this is realistic? I dont know..I'm not a GM..but thats what Id be looking at.

Next year your lineup is something along the lines of...

Kreider - Zibanejad - Buchnevich
Galchenyuk - Hayes - Vilardi
Tolvanen - Chytil - Andersson
Carey - Nieves - Fasth

Heiskanen - Shattenkirk
Skjei - Smith
Staal - DeAngelo

Henrik
Someone competent.

Now...is that a Stanley cup caliber lineup? No..but its got upside, its got enough veterans to be competitive, and enough youth to be exciting. will all those kids make the lineup? No, of course not. But many o fthem should, and youve got a buttload of cash to bring back Nash if you'd like, or go hard after Tavares if youre insane.

You're a gentleman and a scholar.

I'll read this whole thing when I get back from work. The computer in my office decided to Vesey today and I'm going to be on the phone with IT for awhile :laugh:

Reactions: Inferno
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad