Series Talk: Rangers vs. Carolina (Game 1, Sunday May 5th @ 4pm ET, ESPN)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Hope i'm ready? I'm not playing so i don't have to be ready for anything. I got Rangers in 5
Of course you have to be ready.

It's going to be an emotional series and when people are emotional, the rest of us have to put up with it for better or worse.

You tried to paint me as a kid who likes to complain. On the contrary, I've been doing this for 30+ years and when this team goes into battle, I'm ready. When this board goes through it, I'm more than ready.

You think you get it but you don't really get it.

LeetchisGod

This is a bad hockey team.
May 21, 2009
Washington, DC
Afternoon. I'm f***ing pissed off today so apologies in advance for the candor.

Carolina's forward roster having the depth and line-to-line balance that they do, having our final unit be able to skate a competent shift is going to be exceedingly important.

Rempe should sit for a competent hockey player.
If Chytil is healthy it doesn't make sense to keep sititng him. His speed and shot is badly needed 5 on 5.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
@zlev speaks the truth.

We took care of business against Washington but they were in three of the games.

Frankly, I wouldn't expect more than that.

There's only three instances I can think of where a team dominated every minute of a series and in two of those, that team lost because hockey.

• Haha
Reactions: TheDirtyH

JCProdigy

Apr 4, 2002
I want what I want
Should be a good series. We're in trouble if play like like the first 2 periods of game 4. Just quit threatening us with bans when we start complaining about poor effot/play in the GDT. This one probably goes to 7.
LGR.
Man I would absolutely LOVE if they played like the first 2 periods of game 4...

...because it would mean they were up on the Canes 3-0. They played that game like they were trying not to get hurt and just waiting for their chances. I believe/hope it was game/series management that won't be there against a fearsome team like CAR.

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008
If it is, they reverted to default mode against the Islanders.

It makes me question just how good of a coach Rod the Bod is. He's obviously a great motivator and leader but it seems like he puts one thing in place and his team is going to live or die by it. The PK system has been undeniably very successful for his entire tenure there but it also gets roasted at some point during the playoffs (which has resulted in them being eliminated along with not being able to score.) Nothing has changed on the PK, it's nuts to bolts the exact same thing they've been running for years.

The offensive improvement for the Canes is sort of made up. At least at 5v5.

They scored fewer 5v5 g/60 this year than in each of the last two years. When we beat them in 2022, they were top 5 in the league in 5v5 goals. They've scored almost a half goal per 60 less this year than they did that year.

They've revamped their approach on the powerplay to very good results. At 5v5, they're the same old rock chuckers they always were.

I really don't care how the Canes score, but I do care that they scored just 3 fewer goals than us in the regular season (279 vs our 282). If we are playing up our team as an offensive team, then it's not fair to play down Carolina as "rock chuckers" -- just like we've played ourselves up as the President's Trophy winner as an accomplishment, Carolina finished third overall.

My point is, the Canes can be dangerous and our team shouldn't overestimate them despite being the better team slightly.

The Isles clog up the neutral zone, making going east-west difficult, so maybe that's why the Canes "reverted to default mode."

TominNC

Jul 17, 2017
Charlotte, NC
Should be a good series. We're in trouble if play like like the first 2 periods of game 4. Just quit threatening us with bans when we start complaining about poor effot/play in the GDT. This one probably goes to 7.
LGR.
Complaining about poor effort in the playoffs is ridiculous. They’re all trying. Sometimes is doesn’t work or the other guys play better

I really don't care how the Canes score, but I do care that they scored just 3 fewer goals than us in the regular season (279 vs our 282). If we are playing up our team as an offensive team, then it's not fair to play down Carolina as "rock chuckers" -- just like we've played ourselves up as the President's Trophy winner as an accomplishment, Carolina finished third overall.

My point is, the Canes can be dangerous and our team shouldn't overestimate them despite being the better team slightly.

The Isles clog up the neutral zone, making going east-west difficult, so maybe that's why the Canes "reverted to default mode."
The players aren’t over or under estimate them. The fans can overestimate us all we want. We’re fans

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC

Yeah, but here's the thing: the Rangers aren't that good at scoring goals. The analytics-savvy people who criticize Carolina's style have also brought this up before.

They can be dangerous, as can the Rangers, but the smart money is on a low-scoring series.

will1066

Oct 12, 2008
Complaining about poor effort in the playoffs is ridiculous. They’re all trying. Sometimes is doesn’t work or the other guys play better

The players aren’t over or under estimate them. The fans can overestimate us all we want. We’re fans

They for sure do. Otherwise, our team's record against ham-and-egger squads like Columbus would be much better than it was. But, in the playoffs, that might be less the case hopefully.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I think at this point Laviolette is waiting for an injury or a loss to make a lineup change because it's not an easy decision on who to take out at the moment.
There's also the very real aspect of having to deal with the media.

If he took somebody out after sweeping a series and we lost game 1, Brooks and Co. would give birth, even if the substitution was obviously not the reason we lost.

TominNC

Jul 17, 2017
Charlotte, NC
They for sure do. Otherwise, our team's record against ham-and-egger squads like Columbus would be much better than it was. But, in the playoffs, that might be less the case hopefully.
We’re down to the top 8 teams. Nobody is downplaying anyone. Don’t disagree about mid season Columbus

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
I feel like Lav and coaching staff is going to roll with the same lineup until they lose.

You could look at it two ways:

You dont want to switch up a winning formula and insert someone who hasn't played in 6 months. Dont want to overthink and make change for change sake until you have to. Show confidence in the group that got you here.

or

Be proactive and gameplan for your opponent and if that means making changes to put out your best set of 12 forwards in a different way then have the confidence to do that and not wait for a loss to force your hand.

I think a lot, almost everything hinges on the way the feel about Chytil and the gameplan they have for him. Im not saying they arent gameplanning correctly if Rempe is in and/or Chytil is out. They are holding the cards there and I trust whatever their decision is. There will be second guessing regardless. We'll see what happens game 1. The coaching staff has gotten us this far as well.

will1066

Oct 12, 2008
Yeah, but here's the thing: the Rangers aren't that good at scoring goals. The analytics-savvy people who criticize Carolina's style have also brought this up before.

They can be dangerous, as can the Rangers, but the smart money is on a low-scoring series.

If we go back to what I said originally, the Canes' creativity on offense is now better than in the past. I've watched some of their games. That being said, the two teams were nearly dead-even in GF. Now, if we're critiquing on the merits of offensive talent, then our team has more.

We’re down to the top 8 teams. Nobody is downplaying anyone. Don’t disagree about mid season Columbus

For sure they're studying tape and having meetings about their opponent, or else they aren't doing their jobs when the stakes are what they are now.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
I got Rangers in 5. I think we come in ready for Carolina with all the time off and beat the shit out of them. We know what to expect. Same as 94, sweep round 1, 5 games round 2 and round 3 is where it gets tough for us.
I'm close with you. Predicted we would be 16-7 (similar pctg. with reg. season) Beings that we swept, that leaves only 12-7.
4-2 over Carolina, 4-3 over Panthers and then an easier 4-2 vs Dallas? Or, 6 vs Florida and an exciting 7th game victory with whomever. IDC, just get these next 12 however they want. Heart attack city!

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
I mean, despite me criticizing them and hating their style, the Canes have always actually had more creativity than "just throw the puck at the net". They will setup and execute skill plays, it's just that they also so often "shoot from anywhere" that it can take precedent over their skill plays. In some ways they can be good at the unplanned skill plays where they're hoping for rebounds or other stuff in front and then they improvise to find open players for easy goals.

That said, I dunno if they're that much different than before. As always you just can't let them get rolling downhill on you all game long. They can be set back on their heels with some pushback for sure.

It'll be close series I think, I certainly hope the Rangers win but it wouldn't surprise me if Carolina does.

Reactions: TheDirtyH

its not that serious

Mar 7, 2024
I have been very excited for Chytil's return since he unexpectedly started practicing again. And I've personally been concerned about Rempe being in the lineup and inevitably making a costly mistake, and the fact that he isn't considered trustworthy yet in late-game situations and is taken out of his regular shifts. (what happens in OT?)

But even though I've been worried Rempe's play might backfire, I like the idea of his physicality against a talented group of Hurricanes defensemen. It's a gamble, but it could make a real difference.

Chytil not getting into the lineup could be for the sake of being extra certain he's in game shape, or being more protective of his long term health. Or, the lineup may be staying the same because it's been a winning formula. Or it could be a combination of all of these reasons, and potentially others. If the formula works, the team wins, and injuries don't become a factor I feel like the lineup doesn't change.

Obviously, there's a big difference in talent level between the Hurricanes and Capitals, and even in the Hurricane's bottom-six; Laviolette matched Rempe against the fourth line on home ice, but even that would still represent a much different challenge for him than round 1.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
If Chytil is healthy it doesn't make sense to keep sititng him. His speed and shot is badly needed 5 on 5.
I "liked" your post, but I don't agree. Starting Rempe with "US" having last change makes more sense than putting Chytil in, where he just may not be "game ready". I love Filip and want him in (all things being equal) BUT, they're not. If Rempe isn't a "detriment", and it seems he can be intelligent about what his limitations are, then he should PLAY. It should be Chytil coming in for a spark, if need be. If we have a 3-0 lead (highly unlikely) THAT is when you slip in Filip, or maybe he might get in...... if there is some unfortunate injury to anyone of our other 12 forwards. Hate to say it but, here goes. Vesey who has been playing "less than" could be the odd man out. Doubt it though.

Reactions: HolyHagelin

Greg02

Jun 28, 2009
I'm close with you. Predicted we would be 16-7 (similar pctg. with reg. season) Beings that we swept, that leaves only 12-7.
4-2 over Carolina, 4-3 over Panthers and then an easier 4-2 vs Dallas? Or, 6 vs Florida and an exciting 7th game victory with whomever. IDC, just get these next 12 however they want. Heart attack city!
Let's match the 1988 Oilers and go 16-2-1

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida

Haha Tom. I don't believe we have any Tom's on our team. Makes me think of Laidlaw (what a great hockey name) or even Poti (not such a great name as it's too close to "Potty"). Oh and btw, you need any back up if you are in the Carolina's? Probably not, we have lots of followings there, surely you'll be one of them. When "our" Rangers get here in the next round.....I WILL BE THERE!

nyrallday

Apr 23, 2024
I mean, despite me criticizing them and hating their style, the Canes have always actually had more creativity than "just throw the puck at the net". They will setup and execute skill plays, it's just that they also so often "shoot from anywhere" that it can take precedent over their skill plays. In some ways they can be good at the unplanned skill plays where they're hoping for rebounds or other stuff in front and then they improvise to find open players for easy goals.

That said, I dunno if they're that much different than before. As always you just can't let them get rolling downhill on you all game long. They can be set back on their heels with some pushback for sure.

It'll be close series I think, I certainly hope the Rangers win but it wouldn't surprise me if Carolina does.
I like our chances against a smaller team like Carolina. I feel like we have the size to give them trouble and make it tough for them

will1066

Oct 12, 2008

I think the words we're looking for are aesthetics and flashy. Teams like the Panthers, Golden Knights, Canes, they're not overly flashy, and but they do flash the skill plays. They also do the ugly things to cause chaos in front of the opposing goaltender. Heck, the Canes' playoff motto this year is Cause Chaos. I don't see Vegas do a lot of criss-crossing or cycling around the offensive zone, but they always have players in the right places, in the slot, down low, for bang-bang plays. So, I agree that they will shoot from anywhere -- and probably do so when the chance to make a skill play is not available. Our team does the east-west thing, the high-low/criss-crossing thing. It's effective, and it's pretty. We have a couple of defensemen like Lindgren and Trouba who do have a mindset of throwing pucks on net, but they're mediocre at it. Lindgren's attempts are blocked 95% of the time. Trouba's attempts are all over the place wide. The reality is that all teams do pretty much the same things offensively to varying degrees.

Last edited:

Chytilmania

Dec 31, 2017
The offensive improvement for the Canes is sort of made up. At least at 5v5.

They scored fewer 5v5 g/60 this year than in each of the last two years. When we beat them in 2022, they were top 5 in the league in 5v5 goals. They've scored almost a half goal per 60 less this year than they did that year.

They've revamped their approach on the powerplay to very good results. At 5v5, they're the same old rock chuckers they always were.
Someone compared the Canes and Kakko. They possess the puck and get shots off, don't give up a ton of shots, but they don't score.

Of course you have to be ready.

It's going to be an emotional series and when people are emotional, the rest of us have to put up with it for better or worse.
By the time Game 1 starts it will be over 3 weeks since the Rangers last loss. It's going to get very emotional around here lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad