Series Talk: Rangers vs. Carolina (Game 1, Sunday May 5th @ 4pm ET, ESPN)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
The usual suspects will be on the ledge at the first intermission up 3-0 if the expected goals is slightly favoring the Canes.
Honestly, if we're up 3-0, that'll probably be the case.

As a proponent of analytics, I find the number of teams winning games in these playoffs that are losing the xG battle to be a bit alarming.

Sometimes, I just don't think score adjustments are robust enough. Teams that already winning get absolutely washed in xG.

They'll just let you have the puck to shut down the rush. Everyone does it.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
9-6-3 with a .904 sv% for his career. So basically .500 and well below his career .916.

I mean it doesn't really matter as I've seen this team light the f*** out of elite goalies and also generate nothing and build the legend of goalies who are not going to have significant NHL careers (Schmid) but if you want to lean on history, the Rangers haven't had a ton of trouble getting puck by him.
Can they bring in Jimmy Howard as an EBUG? We would be finished.

Reactions: TheDirtyH

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008
I let that one go but since you mentioned it...

Standard knee brace and he hurt his MCL, not his ACL.

edit: Before panic sets in, I'm referencing his MCL injury from November.
Too late

2023-4 is the season that Rod's Canes discovered that you can criss-cross on the rush.

We need to be aware of that.

Their offense is more dynamic and creative than in recent years.

zlev

Dec 21, 2015
For the usual suspects it will be. They will be on the ledge.

the "usual suspects"? are you referring to yourself, who was ready to jump from said ledge when we didn't demolish everyone in the last two weeks of the regular season?

• Wow
Reactions: JCProdigy

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Too late

2023-4 is the season that Rod's Canes discovered that you can criss-cross on the rush.

We need to be aware of that.

Their offense is more dynamic and creative than in recent years.

If it is, they reverted to default mode against the Islanders.

It makes me question just how good of a coach Rod the Bod is. He's obviously a great motivator and leader but it seems like he puts one thing in place and his team is going to live or die by it. The PK system has been undeniably very successful for his entire tenure there but it also gets roasted at some point during the playoffs (which has resulted in them being eliminated along with not being able to score.) Nothing has changed on the PK, it's nuts to bolts the exact same thing they've been running for years.

Reactions: CLW and McRanger92

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
If it is, they reverted to default mode against the Islanders.

It makes me question just how good of a coach Rod the Bod is. He's obviously a great motivator and leader but it seems like he puts one thing in place and his team is going to live or die by it. The PK system has been undeniably very successful for his entire tenure there but it also gets roasted at some point during the playoffs (which has resulted in them being eliminated along with not being able to score.) Nothing has changed on the PK, it's nuts to bolts the exact same thing they've been running for years.

If the Rangers played a series like the Canes just did against the Islanders everyone would be saying Canes in 5.

nyrallday

Apr 23, 2024
It's ok. The deeper we go, the more maintenance days we will see. That's why you end a series asap, get more rest and heal up.

If the Rangers played a series like the Canes just did against the Islanders everyone would be saying Canes in 5.
Of course but that doesn't fit the agenda.

Atax

Apr 7, 2011
Should be a good series. We're in trouble if play like like the first 2 periods of game 4. Just quit threatening us with bans when we start complaining about poor effot/play in the GDT. This one probably goes to 7.
LGR.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

zlev

Dec 21, 2015
Washington had a lead for 2 minutes in 4 games, Islanders won a game and had other leads. What series did you watch?

yeah the Islanders are better than Washington so they snuck out an OT win. Carolina didn't really impress me either but to think we dominated every minute of every game against Washington just because they barely led makes me wonder what series did YOU watch? both we and Carolina dominated one game, played one pretty bad game that they both happened to win and then the others were more even than you'd expect them to be.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
The offensive improvement for the Canes is sort of made up. At least at 5v5.

They scored fewer 5v5 g/60 this year than in each of the last two years. When we beat them in 2022, they were top 5 in the league in 5v5 goals. They've scored almost a half goal per 60 less this year than they did that year.

They've revamped their approach on the powerplay to very good results. At 5v5, they're the same old rock chuckers they always were.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Afternoon. I'm f***ing pissed off today so apologies in advance for the candor.

Carolina's forward roster having the depth and line-to-line balance that they do, having our final unit be able to skate a competent shift is going to be exceedingly important.

Rempe should sit for a competent hockey player.

nyrallday

Apr 23, 2024
yeah the Islanders are better than Washington so they snuck out an OT win. Carolina didn't really impress me either but to think we dominated every minute of every game against Washington just because they barely led makes me wonder what series did YOU watch? both we and Carolina dominated one game, played one pretty bad game that they both happened to win and then the others were more even than you'd expect them to be.
Who said we dominated every minute of every game? Rangers didn't have to dominate, they were sleepwalking out there. Seems like you're set on making the Rangers look like shit and trying to make Carolina look amazing. McRangers92 is right, if we had a few OTs against Washington, people would be calling for Laviolette to be fired and looking to go into another rebuild. Look at the reactions after a sweep

zlev

Dec 21, 2015
Seems like you're set on making the Rangers look like shit and trying to make Carolina look amazing.

lmao, how does it seem like that? I just said in the very post that you quoted that Carolina didn't really impress me. it's still going to be an extremely hard fought series, hope ur ready.

nyrallday

Apr 23, 2024

Carolina's forward roster having the depth and line-to-line balance that they do, having our final unit be able to skate a competent shift is going to be exceedingly important.

Rempe can scare the little Hurricanes and have them shitting in their diapers tho. Tough to bench him. If we to down 2-0 in the series and you need a change then do it but i would start game 1 with Rempe. We have last change

lmao, how does it seem like that? I just said that Carolina didn't really impress me. it's still going to be an extremely hard fought series, hope ur ready.
Hope i'm ready? I'm not playing so i don't have to be ready for anything. I got Rangers in 5

Reactions: egelband

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
If you want to scare/bully the Hurricanes you don't need Rempe to do that. The roster with out him will do that. Their "toughest" guy would be like the Rangers 7th.

You're not wrong.

OTOH, Rempe straight up broke a pair of Caps players in his limited time with hits that were legitimate hockey plays.

I think you roll with him until you lose or he just looks as incompetent as I fear he's going to look. At the very least, I can guarantee that he will blast a Canes player which will draw an uproar from the Complainiacs. If he can stay within the lines and hamper Slavin, that will help us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad